Peterborough striker banned for historical social media posts

Seems difficult to pass judgement without knowing what was said.

Yes, the tweets were sent years ago but if they're publically available online to view at any time, you're essentially saying 'these are my words'.

Seems difficult to pass judgement without knowing what was said.

Yes, the tweets were sent years ago but if they're publically available online to view at any time, you're essentially saying 'these were my words'.
Fixed that for you...part of who you were and who you now are.

I don't go looking for anything. Maybe daily basis is a bit of an exaggeration but you do see it a lot. Post #4 on the semi final draw for example.
Serious question, and feel free not to answer of course. Do you class yourself as homosexual? If so then I can understand taking issue with certain things said from time to time on here.

you'll see all type of language on here, and on millions more forums sir.
For the vast amount it is like minded folk letting off steam, having a laff and some banter.
Even the more out there stuff isn't real or believed.
It gets us through life and has done since life began.

I told a joke: "what's blue and f.ucks old grannies?"
The punchline was "hypothermia or me in my lucky denim jacket"

Yes it could be classed as bad taste but ffs i do not actually go around in a denim jacket f.ucking grannies.

Cancel culture is a stain on society.

p.s. i have more stylish jackets for the older crowd...
People can't seem to distinguish between admittedly crude humour, rather than extremists who would gladly put sections of society on trains to the east.

All this is doing is creating division and yes, some who may lose their livelihood will just become bitter. As for education lessons, that's for totalitarian regimes.

Make silly tweets as an 18 year old... punished.

Sext a 15 year old when you're in your 30s... crack on, son.

Should people care? Do you think digging up these long forgotten tweets and punishing a random individual does anything to advance the cause of tolerance and respect for the LGBT movement?
No I don't, I think a slap on the wrist would've sufficed. My post was a reference to the unnecessary homophobic language used on this forum from time to time. Call it out though and you're "woke" or a "snowfláke".

No I don't, I think a slap on the wrist would've sufficed. My post was a reference to the unnecessary homophobic language used on this forum from time to time. Call it out though and you're "woke" or a "hunk".

So yes, you do think people should be punished if evidence can be excavated that prove they used language that was completely typical within the culture of the time. I think that doing so is entirely counter-productive, to be quite honest.

I'm also sure that mining a football forum for slight, off-color remarks regarding other groups of people is going to be a poor recreational activity, and those you scold won't take a telling.

The world was a different place even just 10 years ago with the language and stuff we used to say. I would be in the same boat as him with some of the ridiculous things I would say and share on social Media along with 99% of the population in their teens back then. It’s now at a stage where they should delete their social media all Together and start new ones so some absolute cretin of life drags up shit that was said in a different time and when you were a teenager.

So yes, you do think people should be punished if evidence can be excavated that prove they used language that was completely typical within the culture of the time. I think that doing so is entirely counter-productive, to be quite honest.
A "slap on the wrist" being releasing a short statement that some PR guy will write that you do not hold such views etc... Which then ends up as good PR. Hardly a punishment.
I'm also sure that mining a football forum for slight, off-color remarks regarding other groups of people is going to be a poor recreational activity, and those you scold won't take a telling.
Just because I've seen plenty of it doesn't mean I go mining for it. I'm just on here a lot.

I've never even called out anyone on here as I know how it'll go. The first time I've made a cheeky wee comment referencing it and look how it's went.

Sick to death with this pish. Meant to believe there is no such thing as a 'culture war' while this sort of nonsense is infesting public life.

Done with people pretending to be offended and trying to take part in some sort of victim olympics. Its a complete farce.

World's gone mad. Anyone late 20s to.mid 30s, remember bebo? They'd need a new wing in every jail in the country if they trawler that.
For my generation it is MW2

Literally everyone currently aged 22-28 would be in the jail if they heard what we were saying to each other.

teen talks shit shocker, people change and grow through time no? what the %^*&'s wrong with these social media trawlers? we've got a generation of thin skinned kill joys who can't take a joke, and gets upset and offended on the behalf of other minorities, groups, race, so many woke poison to choose from take your pick, but you know what? they actually can take a joke for exactly that, a fucking joke! and when the %^*& did nuance and context (something that's lost in text form which I think is the crux of the matter) became irrelevant in relation to the way we perceive, think and react, without that, then the ecosystem of the human society will tip, right now, we're just waiting for the tipping point to be reached

For the vast amount it is like minded folk letting off steam, having a laff and some banter.

Yes it could be classed as bad taste but ffs i do not actually go around in a denim jacket f.ucking grannies.

Every time I see one your posts now I’ll have a mental image of Shakin Stevens.:oops:

Why don't we just ban everyone who's ever done anything they regret in their life.

Oh right, that's everyone.

Remember what Jesus said.

Last edited:
Sick to death with this pish. Meant to believe there is no such thing as a 'culture war' while this sort of nonsense is infesting public life.

Done with people pretending to be offended and trying to take part in some sort of victim olympics. Its a complete farce.

For my generation it is MW2

Literally everyone currently aged 22-28 would be in the jail if they heard what we were saying to each other.
The only people who deny there is a culture war are either pig ignorant or pushing the agenda.

They can go around trying to create safe spaces and sensor speech how ever they want but it is impossible to eradicate peoples thoughts, and just because they might not type it or say it anymore they can still think it.

This current Social Media generation are a bunch of....(insert my thoughts here).

He was 18 ffs... you never said anything "off" when you were 18?
Someone needs to stand against this "archeological cancel" pish.
The new "go to" words that will introduce an industry to society, creating jobs to search through historical tweets for the ultimate gain of achieving in the big picture absolutely fvck all, the country is on its knees after a pandemic needing creative juices flowing to get us back on track and this nonsense is to the front and centre, i give up.

Well FF has certainly changed their tune regarding historic tweets!

It’s nothing to do with changing their tune. Most people acknowledged we had to fight fire with fire when it came to Heart and Hand. It all started with the exact same scenario, people pissed off that historical tweets had been dug up to get folk into trouble.

I don’t imagine anyone wanted to play the stupid games of looking up historical tweets, but in our case, The Daily Record started it, and gave us no choice but to retaliate in the same manner.

If you can’t see how both scenarios are in essence the same, then that’s your problem.

I find the education course quite sinister tbh. You have been found guilty of wrongspeak or wrongthink and via the magic of a course they’ll reshape your aberrant opinions? BOKE

Well FF has certainly changed their tune regarding historic tweets!
It’s like clockwork
Did Jonson Clarke-Harris start a campaign to get guys fired from their job, with massive impact on their lives, based on historic tweets? Making it front page news to get the message to the whole country that these guys are bad.

Really basic stuff guys. How you don’t see the difference I don’t know.

Offence Archeology strikes again, 18ffs the things I used to say in my early 20s nevermind 18. People grow, mature, and societal norms change.

It's about time offense was treated as the subjective emotion that it is, rather than some blanket term.

Also the context is nearly always missing in these situations, search 'offensive' term, and then take post/tweet at face value without any context of what conversation it's in. ( Yes there are some twats tweeting genuinely and intentionally offensive things as that's what they believe, before some blowhard tries to point that out.)

The world was a different place even just 10 years ago with the language and stuff we used to say. I would be in the same boat as him with some of the ridiculous things I would say and share on social Media along with 99% of the population in their teens back then. It’s now at a stage where they should delete their social media all Together and start new ones so some absolute cretin of life drags up shit that was said in a different time and when you were a teenager.
10 weeks ago.

I doubt even 2 years ago anyone would care.

They banned and fined Cavani for using the word Nigrito which was a non offensive word in his own language because the were so sensitive in the wake of George Floyd. Now they’ve set a precedent

18 at the time of the tweets. Now, aged 27, he is required to complete a face to face education program... really? I mean, really? Hes not grown and matured at all in that period?

Get this shit so far to fcuk. Beyond sick of it. If i had twitter at 18 id be doing a life term by now.
I'm glad the old Box Brownie cameras didn't have a video function when I travelled with the Barlanark RSC bus. :p

Seems like I'm the only one that thinks it's fair. 18 years old, not as if he was a child. If he'd said the comments on a football pitch, would've got 6 games like a few others have had.
Nine years ago?
You did nothing wrong nine years ago that’d be illegal now?

Before the faux outrage continues, it's the precedence the FA sent when they banned troy deeney and andre gray.

If it was a daily record journalist, it would be a slightly different story.
I think what most of us believe is that it’s a travesty to start with.
You should only be a law breaker if you’ve broken laws at the time of the incident.
Well, that’s my take on it.

Sure, but I'm not really talking about that. Just saying that I see homophobic language floating around this forum on a daily basis.
Yet you still log in?
Are you looking to be offended?
I know if I had reservations as to what I read on a given forum, I wouldn’t look at given forum.
Maybe that’s just me though.

They may have been made years ago, but they remained online and available to view therefore current.
We are seeing folk lose jobs, or cancelled over tweets made.
Why should he not face consequences for his posts also, if it were a Celtic player, official or celeb fan we would be chuckling away.

I think it all is utter BS by the way and will probably see folk leaving these platforms in their droves.

Seems you're offended by the people on this thread having a different opinion given those are the only posts you've replied to.
Personally, I’m offended at people trying to demonise and criminalise ninety-nine percent of the population.

• Wow
Reactions: Moz
Yes, the poster has went a step too far.
Interestingly though, I see you have no criticism of Griffiths himself or for those who have done nothing to challenge his past behaviour.
I don't need to post every single thought I have online, unlike your 7 posts on this thread in the last 20 minutes!

Thats

That made me chuckle

A relative of mines was warned in his work because he went into the staff room and said “Good morning Ladies” the staff room only had women teachers in at the time
He was told he can’t say that as it’s gender specific and may well offend
His reply was ok so what about “Good morning” I presume that will offend people who don’t agree that it is a Good morning or how about just “Morning” or will that offend those that are not morning people
So I think the just of it was don’t speak as it’s the only way to ensure you don’t offend the offended in a country with free speech
I hope I haven’t offended anyone by this message

The last few years have made people more aware that some things we used to say and were passed off as just banter, can actually cause offence to others and that's fine. I, like i imagine the majority of people on this planet have said and done things as teenagers that we are embarrassed and not proud of, but as we matured we also realised that it wasn't okay. What i don't like is going through someones tweets, finding something from 2012 and trying to use those tweets to get that person into bother. A 4 game ban is a disgrace and there's far better ways to take action than simply stopping someone doing their job, especially when enough time has gone by that his opinion on what he said could easily have changed.

I don't need to post every single thought I have online, unlike your 7 posts on this thread in the last 20 minutes!
Seven replies to seven different posts where I have a different opinion on a topic that interests me and I’m hoping the poster I’m replying to will indulge in debate with me?
What woke last have I broken?

The last few years have made people more aware that some things we used to say and were passed off as just banter, can actually cause offence to others and that's fine. I, like i imagine the majority of people on this planet have said and done things as teenagers that we are embarrassed and not proud of, but as we matured we also realised that it wasn't okay. What i don't like is going through someones tweets, finding something from 2012 and trying to use those tweets to get that person into bother. A 4 game ban is a disgrace and there's far better ways to take action than simply stopping someone doing their job, especially when enough time has gone by that his opinion on what he said could easily have changed.
I fully agree. It's how we evolve in life. We make mistakes, learn and move forward. Everything changes, not just us as people but society.
I grew up watching television programmes such as "Til Death Us Do Part" and "Love Thy Neighbour" but they would be unacceptable viewing nowadays.
Homosexuality has been well documented as having been a criminal offence as well as a mental illness when I was a kid but it is now an accepted part of life. Should those who were persecuted because of their lifestyle back then now be compensated in some way? Why should any evidence just come from social media?

Did Jonson Clarke-Harris start a campaign to get guys fired from their job, with massive impact on their lives, based on historic tweets? Making it front page news to get the message to the whole country that these guys are bad.

Really basic stuff guys. How you don’t see the difference I don’t know.
I can see the difference. It’s pretty clear. Of course I get the whole “they did something to us so we have to retaliate” thing.

However it’s just funny to see so many folk saying they are not bothered by historic tweets when weeks ago the same people were probably complaining to the police.

For the record I wasn’t bothered by historic tweets a few weeks ago and I’m not now either. I don’t have twitter tbf.

Back