Petershill Social Club No More

I was in having a pint on Saturday at the Rossvale v Ashfield game, place is looking run down now

Went in on Saturday nights when staying over in Glasgow and loved the wording on the wall heading into the function hall.
“arrive as a stranger - leave as a friend“ ( or similar ).

GDC probably deemed too close, and competition to, Saint Roch.
My mate was a regular in it said it was the GDC that wanted it shut he said it was sold to a private company. Not sure how true that is right enough but the regulars are in the masonic in Vulcan street.

My brother practically lived in there when he was a Rolls Royce apprentice and they sent him to Springburn College next door to it. You know what Rolls Royce wages are like, and the Petershill Club got most of his...

My brother practically lived in there when he was a Rolls Royce apprentice and they sent him to Springburn College next door to it. You know what Rolls Royce wages are like, and the Petershill Club got most of his...

What were apprentice Rolls Royce wages like?

Hearing that’s the social club now no more, a few posters on here might be able to elaborate, will now only open for functions.
What a great club when it was in it glory.
Fact is it hasn't been the Peasy social club since 2007. It was run by Petershill Community Initiative, followed by Glasgow City Council then Progrez, with the Social Club still using it on Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. As an eldery membership dwindled over the years, pre-Covid it had been cut down to just the Monday night bingo and the Saturday night. Even the numbers on Saturday were on the slide, and with several regulars now having passed away and others having intimated that they wouldn't feel safe coming back, it was always likely that it was going to be a struggle to restart. The death knell though has been the new prices at the bar.

Before the pandemic, Progrez had operated with two different sets of prices (not even sure that was legal tbh), one "normal" set and one just for functions. They've now changed that policy and it will be the same prices across the board, meaning it will be £3.60 for a pint and £2.70 for spirits. There was no way pensioners were going to pay that.

The Social Club hasn't yet folded, they may look at holding their Saturday night elsewhere.

Served my time and worked in The Calley in Springburn Rd mid 70's-80's.
Petershill and the club always seemed well supported then and even after The Cally was ran down

I delivered the Daily Record early edition(booo) in there 6 nights a week in the mid 90's.
My mate came in with me one night wearing a skip cap and an old boy told him to take it off, as there was a picture of the queen on the wall.
Always well tipped too.

Served my time and worked in The Calley in Springburn Rd mid 70's-80's.
Petershill and the club always seemed well supported then and even after The Cally was ran down
I worked in the Caley from 79-85. Only in the club a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sadly this is the way things are going. Pollok Juniors had a fantastic social club up until a few years ago, and used to get some great variety acts in. This was a great source of revenue. Think the club is now called "Lox" but is separate from the club.

Back