Photographs from 1975-76 League Cup Final

DeeJay

I am looking for photographs for photographs from the 1-0 victory over the scum in the 1975-76 league cup final. I can only find a view pictures from the game, and they are mainly from there persuasion.

I wonder if anyone on here would be able to help out?

There's a better picture of Doddie's diving header around but cannot find it currently, was definitely in one of the main sports papers at the time.
I was at this game and it was a dreadful match, the goal being the only highlight.
Only 58,000 crowd for a Rangers Celtic final, I don't think the huge crowds ever returned.

There's a better picture of Doddie's diving header around but cannot find it currently, was definitely in one of the main sports papers at the time.
I was at this game and it was a dreadful match, the goal being the only highlight.
Only 58,000 crowd for a Rangers Celtic final, I don't think the huge crowds ever returned.
The late Tom Forsyth's finest 90 minutes in a Rangers shirt.

Classic old Rangers photo thread - page 115

Not a classic as you say, but Wee Doddie's goal sparked a march to the treble.

Attendances for the four OF games that season were as follows:

Aug 30th Ibrox 69,584
Nov 1st Pigsty 60,000*
Jan 1st Ibrox 57,839
Apr 26th Pigsty 50,000* (we had already won the League by then)

Quite sizable crowds I would say when there was a lack of facilities in stadia back then. Also when we completed the Treble at Hampden in May against Hearts the official crowd was 85,806. This was laughable as gates were forced that day and many poured into the stadium in the panic to see the ko. I've been in Hampden a few times when the attendance was over a 100,000. I believe that was one of those days.

* Celtc being typically vague about the attendance. Not much has changed

I think I read somewhere that year was the start of earlier kick offs, which may have had an effect.

The game was an early kick off was it not ? While I agree there was probably over 100,000 inside Hampden 7 months later in the Scottish
Cup final v Hearts.

instructor said:

Taking care of Dalglish?
dh1963

Yes, he dominated him completely.

-------------------------------------

Jaws got booked for fouling him and on the restart he fouled him again. I was worried watching it that the ref might send him off but he got away with just a free kick. I cannot remember much else about this match, it was poor stuff from both sides.

Aug 30th Ibrox 69,584
Nov 1st Pigsty 60,000*
Jan 1st Ibrox 57,839

Quite sizable crowds I would say when there was a lack of facilities in stadia back then. Also when we completed the Treble at Hampden in May against Hearts the official crowd was 85,806. This was laughable as gates were forced that day and many poured into the stadium in the panic to see the ko. I've been in Hampden a few times when the attendance was over a 100,000. I believe that was one of those days.

Without a shadow of a doubt it was over 100,000. Me and my pal aged 13 turned up about half 2 without tickets of course. Scouted about looking to get in and ended up going through the back gardens on Aikenhead Road. Bloody ridiculous behaviour looking back going through private property. Got over the jaggy metal fence. You then had to run up the grass for a good 50 yards which was wet and slippy with police and dogs after you. Get to the second fence and climb over that. I think that was you in the ground at that point. Trousers and legs cut to ribbons. Missed the first goal of course. After the match we made our way back up Somerville Drive. Such was the force of the crowd that we took a 6 foot tall brick wall out. The house owner came out going mad. Must have been 100 Rangers fans in the poor man's front garden. Not deliberate but couldnt be avoided and probably pretty dangerous over crowding. Those were the days.

Without a shadow of a doubt it was over 100,000. Me and my pal aged 13 turned up about half 2 without tickets of course. Scouted about looking to get in and ended up going through the back gardens on Aikenhead Road. Bloody ridiculous behaviour looking back going through private property. Got over the jaggy metal fence. You then had to run up the grass for a good 50 yards which was wet and slippy with police and dogs after you. Get to the second fence and climb over that. I think that was you in the ground at that point. Trousers and legs cut to ribbons. Missed the first goal of course. After the match we made our way back up Somerville Drive. Such was the force of the crowd that we took a 6 foot tall brick wall out. The house owner came out going mad. Must have been 100 Rangers fans in the poor man's front garden. Not deliberate but couldnt be avoided and probably pretty dangerous over crowding. Those were the days.
Meanwhile some of us with tickets didn't manage to get in until significantly later :D. We got in just in time to see the second goal.

From memory they estimated the crowd at around 45,000 at kick off and suggested that, with the queues still outside the ground, it might rise to about 55,000. They were still coming in long after we got there and quite incredible to think how many missed a large part of the game with over half missing kick off and the opening goal.

Also crazy to think that in days gone by they managed to squeeze another 50,000 in there.
:eek:

Meanwhile some of us with tickets didn't manage to get in until significantly later :D. We got in just in time to see the second goal.

From memory they estimated the crowd at around 45,000 at kick off and suggested that, with the queues still outside the ground, it might rise to about 55,000. They were still coming in long after we got there and quite incredible to think how many missed a large part of the game with over half missing kick off and the opening goal.

Also crazy to think that in days gone by they managed to squeeze another 50,000 in there.
One of the things I like about this forum is the shared experiences. So many men behind user names but you know that you shared the massive slopes at Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead. You know you are somewhere in those old videos as a youngster in the massed crowds with guys on here. We were the guys in the 70s that kids marvel at now crammed into Brockville or Love St or Muirton Park.

Would disagree with that mate . Place was mobbed before kick off with more and more coming in. Just need to look at the first goal that day.
Can recall my late father saying there were over 100,000 in the stadium that day.

Would disagree with that mate . Place was mobbed before kick off with more and more coming in. Just need to look at the first goal that day.
Can recall my late father saying there were over 100,000 in the stadium that day.
Correct. We got to the top of the stairs at 5 past three and just went "woooooah". The crowd was vast. My dad had some family association with the SFA so I had been to a couple of Scotland England 120,000 crowds by then and it looked just as big. The last big crowd at Hampden I would say. Glad to be able to say "I was there"

One of the things I like about this forum is the shared experiences. So many men behind user names but you know that you shared the massive slopes at Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead. You know you are somewhere in those old videos as a youngster in the massed crowds with guys on here. We were the guys in the 70s that kids marvel at now crammed into Brockville or Love St or Muirton Park.
Always amazes me how much I seem to have in common with other posters on here and the shared experiences.

You think you are the only one that will remember something from way back and as soon as you mention it there's a host of guys right on it discussing it as if it was yesterday.

There was a loan signing from Southampton mid/late 70's who was only here for 5/6 weeks and was pretty poor. The regular quiz asked for players who had played for both us and Southampton and I thought it was a brilliant answer that few if any would remember.

Committed my answers to print and then smugly checked others answers thinking I had provided a unique response only to see a multitude of guys answer "Jim Steele".

Although a little disappointed that others had "stolen" my unique answer the realisation that these guys were there with you and shared the same highs and lows as you through the years soon brightened the mood :))

Always amazes me how much I seem to have in common with other posters on here and the shared experiences.

You think you are the only one that will remember something from way back and as soon as you mention it there's a host of guys right on it discussing it as if it was yesterday.

There was a loan signing from Southampton mid/late 70's who was only here for 5/6 weeks and was pretty poor. The regular quiz asked for players who had played for both us and Southampton and I thought it was a brilliant answer that few if any would remember.

Committed my answers to print and then smugly checked others answers thinking I had provided a unique response only to see a multitude of guys answer "Jim Steele".

Although a little disappointed that others had "stolen" my unique answer the realisation that these guys were there with you and shared the same highs and lows as you through the years soon brightened the mood :))
I think its because we grew up in a time when there were so few distractions. School. Play football. Watch football. I cant remember doing much else growing up. Jim Steele, I remember was quite big news as he had just won the FA Cup with Southampton which was a big deal in the 70s. To me there is nothing better than getting together with old friends you went to the games with back then and our sons. We have some great and wild tales to tell from the time. I dont think the boys today will have that with their sons though. Life and the game itself has become too sanitised now.

Was at this game as a 10 year old with my Dad, in the main stand for some reason.
Remember the goal well and also how much space there was in the Rangers end behind the goal.
Remember getting home and my Dad going back out to the pub and I went out on my bike with my Rangers scarf still on.
Last game at Hampden I was at was Hearts last season, remember next to zilch.

Not sure how many were there at kick off as I wasn't there at the time but we didn't get in until just before the second goal which was right at the end of the first half.

We were in the North enclosure and there were still people coming in after us - and not just a few.

I have a vague recollection from the highlights shown later that Archie mentioned the crowd at the start and of me thinking that the final number must have been at least double what he quoted.

Also seem to recall that, while the Rangers end may have been busy at kick off, other areas were less so and there may have been a cash turnstile at the other end. Certainly a lot of guys outside at kick off and reports of a gate being barged in at the celtic end.

As I say I was outside at kick off so don't really know what it was like inside other than the TV coverage later.

Not sure how many were there at kick off as I wasn't there at the time but we didn't get in until just before the second goal which was right at the end of the first half.

We were in the North enclosure and there were still people coming in after us - and not just a few.

I have a vague recollection from the highlights shown later that Archie mentioned the crowd at the start and of me thinking that the final number must have been at least double what he quoted.

Also seem to recall that, while the Rangers end may have been busy at kick off, other areas were less so and there may have been a cash turnstile at the other end. Certainly a lot of guys outside at kick off and reports of a gate being barged in at the celtic end.

As I say I was outside at kick off so don't really know what it was like inside other than the TV coverage later.
Correct. On the Somerville Drive side but before kick off. We were a few yards from it and when it went, all the men dived for it. Total crush and people falling over and bad crushing. Police waded in with horses and batons immediately instead of trying to help. We shat it and ran round the back of the Celtic end and got in over the metal corrugated fences.

The Sellik end alone held 64,000...

Was at that game, 17/18 years old, don’t remember much of the game, how I got there or how I got home, what I do remember is the feeling of euphoria at the end much the same feeling I get now after every victory against the mhanky bastards.

Aug 30th Ibrox 69,584
Nov 1st Pigsty 60,000*
Jan 1st Ibrox 57,839

I was at all these games. I remember the New Year game there was plenty of space and iirc the April game at the Piggery was a rearranged game in midweek.
The Cup Final v Hearts was absolutely rammed. I was in the Rangers end for that game and the Scotland England game a few weeks later. The SvE attendance was given as 88000, but there was no way there was as many as the cup final.

I was born around the time of that final and in those days when you were born your old dear was kept in for days. Thankfully the old man still managed to turn up to see her at the hospital . . . pished and missing a heel from his platform shoes :))

yjUiuMZ.jpg

Last edited:
I was at all these games. I remember the New Year game there was plenty of space and iirc the April game at the Piggery was a rearranged game in midweek.
The Cup Final v Hearts was absolutely rammed. I was in the Rangers end for that game and the Scotland England game a few weeks later. The SvE attendance was given as 88000, but there was no way there was as many as the cup final.
I'd forgotten that they quoted the England game as having a higher attendance than the SCF.

Like you I was at both and there is no way the England game had more than the Cup Final.

I was also at both Hampden games and I concur. In the Rangers end for the cup final and a rare venture into the "celtc end" for the England game. There was many more at the cup final imo.

I was at the first 3 OF games that season but missed the April game. 2 0 up at half time in the September 76 match. Season went to pot after that. But a treble the following season. Never figured out the 76 to 77 season.

I was born around the time of that final and in those days when you were born you're old dear was kept in for days. Thankfully the old man still managed to turn up to see her at the hospital . . . pished and missing a heel from his platform shoes :))

yjUiuMZ.jpg
Brilliant story and picture mate.
Doddie, my favourite Rangers player growing up.

Went with my old man.
Driving in we hit a queue of traffic at Mount Vernon and the old man says, "Christ Almighty, there's gonna be a huge crowd the day". He was right, I was at the finals of 69,71 & 73 and there was no appreciable difference to the naked eye.
1969- 132,000
1971- 120,000
1973- 123,000

Went with my old man.
Driving in we hit a queue of traffic at Mount Vernon and the old man says, "Christ Almighty, there's gonna be a huge crowd the day". He was right, I was at the finals of 69,71 & 73 and there was no appreciable difference to the naked eye.
1969- 132,000
1971- 120,000
1973- 123,000
I know the 1977 final was on TV, which I think was a first, but the crowd was pitiful by comparison to previous seasons. And never really came back after that.
1978 61,000
1979 50,000
1980 70,000
1981 53,000
1982 53,000
Like me, I imagine you were at all of those matches. Looking at the numbers it really does look like TV killed the spectacle for many.

The 1976 Scottish Cup Final was an early kick off too......Bobby Davidson was the ref and started the game a minute early and we scored before 3:00 pm, so you had to be in early for the first goal! Luckily for me I was and the stour in the Rangers end didn't clear till until about 3:10 pm.:D

That's my recollection. Re the crowds, you're bang on. Things were never the same after that game.

I know the 1977 final was on TV, which I think was a first, but the crowd was pitiful by comparison to previous seasons. And never really came back after that.
1978 61,000
1979 50,000
1980 70,000
1981 53,000
1982 53,000
Like me, I imagine you were at all of those matches. Looking at the numbers it really does look like TV killed the spectacle for many.
The facts speak for themselves.
That said,if the capacity allowed, I think we could burst the 100,000 barrier these days.

I went to the game on the Strathleven bus from the Vale. Me and my mate didn't have tickets but the sellik end was pay at the gate so we thought it would be a dawdle getting in especially as the weather was terrible that day. WRONG! We got there around 2:30 and there were no queues at the sellik end just a mass of people trying to get to the turnstiles. When big DJ scored we were still 20 yards away from the gates. I can't remember now if that's when the exit gate got opened or if it was before that but when that happened the fans poured in for a good few minutes before plod managed to stop it. Didn't do us any good we were still nowhere near the gates. We could see fans pouring over the corrugated fence at the back of the terracing so we thought f*ck it let's go! Everyone was climbing into the builders yard next to the stadium at the North stand side so we followed and there was about half a dozen ladders leaning against the stadium wall with queues lined up at each ladder! Up we went and then up the hill to the corrugated fence where plod was helping fans over because there were too many to stop! We probably missed the first 20 minutes but what a day it turned out to be. Thousands got in for free that day and the place was packed.

Regards the 76 Scottish Cup Final I seem to recall big Jock Wallace appealing for us to have union flags a plenty with us at the game. I had one on my bedroom wall which I took along but was more like the size of a duster in comparison to the flags of today:)

Yes certainly a lot more than the quoted attendance for sure

Back