Photos of Ibrox

That is a great photo.

On a slightly off topic note to older Bears ( I am 50!!) Why did all 3 Glasgow stadia: Ibrox, Hampden and the piggery have the Rangers end covered and the beast's end uncovered? Why would they even at their own hovel cover away fans and not their own? Is there an answer to this or is it just one if those things?

What a great photo.

I’ll never understand the madness of the decision making in bulldozing a motorway through the heart of an already thriving and densely populated city.
Don't want to go off topic and derail the thread, but Glasgow must be the only city with a motorway running through the centre.

That is a great photo.

On a slightly off topic note to older Bears ( I am 50!!) Why did all 3 Glasgow stadia: Ibrox, Hampden and the piggery have the Rangers end covered and the beast's end uncovered? Why would they even at their own hovel cover away fans and not their own? Is there an answer to this or is it just one if those things?
The piggery west terracing ( Rattler End )was covered before the east terracing ( Rangers End )

That is a great photo.

The Celtic end at the piggery was covered (or semi covered) before the Rangers end.

I think the Rangers end got covered about 1968, going by old footage of games I've seen.

That is a great photo.

To give the 19th Century Terrorist's a wash when it rained.;)

That is a great photo.

I believe the Beggars covered the Rangers end at the Piggery with the intention that their fans would start using it and the Bears would be accommodated at the other end.

Of course this didn't happen and instead a cheaper less extensive cover was erected over the Sellik end which was rather amusing. They didn't fully cover it until the late Eighties/early Nineties.

Edit: Just seen other posts that the cover over the west terracing at the Piggery was already up before they covered the east end of the ground.

Last edited:
Ibrox in 1900:

4oC3q1K.jpg

Couldn’t find any of the threads with them, so Apologies for starting a new one.
This popped up from the Motorway archive with the motorway being built

I remember our bus driver knew all the cobbled back streets at the docks up the back there. We sped round there to jump the queue many a time.

What was the story of the gates again? Was it that the east gate was the original and it was copied for the rebuild and added to the west corner?

The Celtic end at the piggery was covered (or semi covered) before the Rangers end.

I think the Rangers end got covered about 1968, going by old footage of games I've seen.

Yes mate, they covered the Rangers End in the summer of 1968. This is it in January 1968:

ewsuUwj.jpg

Their end in the same game (Willie Johnston has just scored!):

RrLEnvd.jpg

The Rangers End at the piggery is covered by the time we played them here in September 1968:

z8YYbZ5.jpg

Yes mate, they covered the Rangers End in the summer of 1968. This is it in January 1968:

ewsuUwj.jpg

Their end in the same game (Willie Johnston has just scored!):

RrLEnvd.jpg

The Rangers End at the piggery is covered by the time we played them here in September 1968:

z8YYbZ5.jpg

That was certainly a bit of a performance from Davie White's team to christen the new covering.

A nice 4 -2 pumping. :))

What was the story of the gates again? Was it that the east gate was the original and it was copied for the rebuild and added to the west corner?
Murray (the failed custodian) moved the original gates from the Copland to the Broomloan, apparently for aesthetic reasons, as he believed they would look more impressive there, as visiting vips would approach Ibrox from the M8 at that end of the stadium.

I mentioned on another thread that personally, I'd move them back to the Copland end, parallel with Edmiston Drive and make them a kind of ceremonial entrance to the new Edmiston House. It won't happen of course, but I think it would be a nice touch.

Back