Photos of Ibrox

Murray (the failed custodian) moved the original gates from the Copland to the Broomloan, apparently for aesthetic reasons, as he believed they would look more impressive there, as visiting vips would approach Ibrox from the M8 at that end of the stadium.

I mentioned on another thread that personally, I'd move them back to the Copland end, parallel with Edmiston Drive and make them a kind of ceremonial entrance to the new Edmiston House. It won't happen of course, but I think it would be a nice touch.
Wasnt there ever a set of orginal gates from the Broomloan end aswell?

Rangers v Bayern Munich, 19th April 1972:

qpLIk8V.jpg
I wonder if this could be classed as the best ever game at Ibrox.

Reactions: ao2
I thought I'd saw every photo of Ibrox there was to see, but a couple on this thread suggest I didn't; the one on the OP is one of them.

1970s. Hopefully it was the close season and a new pitch was being laid!:

YJBMFZG.jpg
Just thinking if we didn’t lose a slice of terracing due to the railway in the north west corner, the capacity would have comfortably been six figures, I remember it was routinely 90,000 in the sixties.

That is a great photo.

On a slightly off topic note to older Bears ( I am 50!!) Why did all 3 Glasgow stadia: Ibrox, Hampden and the piggery have the Rangers end covered and the beast's end uncovered? Why would they even at their own hovel cover away fans and not their own? Is there an answer to this or is it just one if those things?
They needed a wash from rain, we didn't !! B-)

What a great photo.

I’ll never understand the madness of the decision making in bulldozing a motorway through the heart of an already thriving and densely populated city.
My dad told me of this, said it used to be great when it rained buckets and all the Celtic fans got drenched. Couldn't believe it when he said at all 3 grounds....

It is Arsenal, I think they changed their strip that season for a brief time. It was a friendly on 6th August 1966, Rangers winning 2-0.
I never knew that , thankfully they saw the light and restored the famous white sleeves.

I never knew that , thankfully they saw the light and restored the famous white sleeves.

Yes, there are some traditions that should never be changed. They hadn't had much success after the early 50s and perhaps they thought a change in design would help. It didn't and they changed back, thankfully!

Last edited:
Back