Pic Of The Day: Miko

I’m surprised, I was expecting a photo of him stood still with his hands on his hips!!:)):))
He was a very clever player, but not industrious by any stretch of the imagination.
I missed his first goal due to having a piss at HT, I was just going up the steps to get back on the West Enclosure as a roar went up. My mate laughed, as I had always had a soft spot for big Miko and yet missed his goal.

He was world class.

Damn shame we didn’t get the best out of him.

Fabulously gifted player..

The stand out performance for me was in the 4 - 2 game at Parkhead in 94. 3 nil up within 30 minutes and cruising...
The same game Bomber had to deal with a pitch invader which he clearly took great delight in doing.. haha

Last edited:

The stand out performance for me was in the 4 - 2 game at Parkhead in 94. 3 nil up within 30 minutes and cruising...
The same game Bomber had to deal with a pitch invader which he early took great delight in doing.. haha
Mars bars to the directors box.

I used to work with John McGregor a few years ago and he said that Miko didn't know English but knew to ask "Netto" to indicate he wanted to know how much 'net' pay was he getting that month!

The same game Bomber had to deal with a pitch invader which he early took great delight in doing.. haha
Did Walter Smith not play him in the centre of our midfield that day and mcstay spent the game chasing Miko's shadow?

I remember Jack Charlton co commentating on our game v the poets, he called Alexei ten different names quite close to but not Mikhailichenko :D
I thought him and Durrant were on the same wavelength as they seemed to hit it off on the park.

Remember the goal we lost to brugge away? he done a very similar thing the week before against hearts at Ibrox. I can only find our goals and not that hearts goal however imo we could and shouldve beaten brugge but miko dwas at fault with very similar mistakes two games in a row.

Should add he contributed massively in one of my favourite ever games the 4-2 new year win, that day was special.

Last edited:
A footballing enigma, and a class act. The inspiration for my FF username. Loved watching him play, he just glided around the pitch.

One of the best central midfielders in Europe and we played him out wide on the left.
Couldn’t agree more the guy ran the show in the middle of the park for Russia at the euros then we punted him on the wing. He was absolute world class footballer just not a winger for sure.

What a player he was. Played far too much wide left and couldn’t be arsed half the time. When he was in the mood he was sublime.

He played the same position as Albertz did under Advocaat a lot of the time. Nobody ever says big Jorg was punted out to the 'left wing'.

Back