Picture of Charlton's ground They Valley when it was abandonded

Is there any stadiums currently abandoned would like to explore one as sometimes do urban exploring at the weekends
The old terracing and pitch is still there at cathkin park , mad to walk round it and stand on the old terracing and think that it held 10s of thousands of people

is the old third lanark ground still standing?
hqdefault.jpg
Yes its still there , there was talk they were going to renovate it ,third lanark amateur team were meant to take it over to try start the club up again , also the jimmy johnstone football academy use it now

Iirc they won the first post war English Cup Final.... the accolades that went with winning that were huge compared to nowadays...
Even more trivia ……
The 1946 FA cup competition was unique as all of the ties were played over two legs
Charlton are the only team to lose an FA cup
Game over 90 minutes ,which wasn’t abandoned or the result changed by the FA, and still won the FA cup
During the final at Wembley the ball burst during the match and had to be replaced

Even more trivia ……
The 1946 FA cup competition was unique as all of the ties were played over two legs
Charlton are the only team to lose an FA cup
Game over 90 minutes ,which wasn’t abandoned or the result changed by the FA, and still won the FA cup
During the final at Wembley the ball burst during the match and had to be replaced
Charlton lost the '46 final 4-1 to Derby and won the '47 final 1-0 beating Burnley after extra time. The ball burst in both finals! It was put down to the lack of quality leather post war. I've listened to stories over the years from a very fine gentleman who attended both games! Amazing!

That's an awesome picture. There's something quite haunting about a deserted football stadium, knowing it used to hold huge crowds and is now abandoned. Cathkin Park was a great visit for the same reason, and Avanhard Stadium, too. Really eerie.

Absolutely.

I've never been in an abandoned ground, but I get the same feeling in castle or church ruins.. being in such a quiet, desolate place knowing that so much used to go on there.

it’s my local club these days. Though I’ve no strong feelings about the club one way or the other, as a part time Brighton fan, I was really pleased, and quite envious, they got their ground back. The Goldstone was a retail park within months of the last game. Robbing bastard owners.

I mind reading that in the 1950s hibs planned to enlarge the terrace across from the main stand and raise capacity to 100,000, seen a proposed image i just cant find it now. obviously for whatever reason the work didnt happen.

The stand behind the goal in the first picture still exists as the away end. Rest of the ground completely rebuilt but I think they still use the stairs of the old East Terrace.

I'll be buying a ticket today for the game on the 19th with a bit of luck. It will be for the away end though :))

it’s my local club these days. Though I’ve no strong feelings about the club one way or the other, as a part time Brighton fan, I was really pleased, and quite envious, they got their ground back. The Goldstone was a retail park within months of the last game. Robbing bastard owners.
I used to pass the new Brighton ground when i had a job down Lewes way, it is miles away from Brighton.

Charlton fans fought a long campaign to get back to the Valley and spent years at Sellhurst Park as tenants.

I old the old East Terrace was said to be able to hold 44,000.

From a facebook page -

Ive finally found my old photo album with pics i took of The Valley when it was abandoned from 1985 to 1992. Here is a pic i took from the top of the massive east terrace.

Always found that one of the saddest pictures in football when thinking about the historical value the ground had to fellow football fans who’s club and ground were hijacked by folk who didn’t share their love for it

The only time I was ever near The Valley was an early Autumn morning back in 1978 when I was visiting a company in that area that manufactured pumps. I remember looking at the back of the terracing from outside and being astounded by the sheer height of it. I'd known that it had held 80,000 in its day but outside of Wembley at that time, I don't think any other English ground had that capacity.

I used to go to The Valley regularly in the early 2000s. The new stadium is fantastic and they are (or were) a fantastic community club. I think that single tier stand was still there after the rebuild.

Is there any stadiums currently abandoned would like to explore one as sometimes do urban exploring at the weekends
the way its going there is a ground in the east end of glasgow that will soon be available for exploring . but lookout for any large bumps in carpets!!!

Love that, I visit Cathkin park from time to time and it never fails to give you a peculiar feeling. to think some of Rangers' biggest players in our history played in front of tens of thousands many decades ago just gives you a nice aura.

It'll be a sad day when it is inevitably redeveloped for housing or shops

Got a wee soft spot for Charlton. Ran a pub in Eltham SE9, and there were loads of Addicks who were regulars. Some helped with the early landscaping work(volunteers) before it re-opened in '92. At the first game back they played the Skids, think they may still do. Saw a few matches there the season they gained promotion.

Christ, who knew Rob Brydon was in the Skids. That's him on the left isn't it?
What's your guide dugs's name?

Lot of Rangers support amongst us
I used to run the South East London Loyal out of The Cutty Sark in Thamesmead, the pub later run by Andy Fordham (RIP)

some articles about our return to the valley in December 1992, we left in Septemper 1985, spent 6 years or so at Selhurst Park then a season and a half at Upton Park

great club, i know many charlton loylist/rangers fans

Reactions: DA9
Would i be correct in saying the road that goes past the ground, a27? was where the plane crashed killing the Shoreham footballers.
Yes, but it's the other side of Brighton. The incident was by Shoreham airport and the stadium is towards Lewes with Brighton separating the two

Remember going there for a few Friday night games in the early 70s. Great looking ground back in the day.

I went to a Brighton game when they played at the athletics stadium, that was a weird place,

Yes, but it's the other side of Brighton. The incident was by Shoreham airport and the stadium is towards Lewes with Brighton separating the two
It was Kingston i was working in, i think they called it a Hamlet, one pub there called the Juggs, we stayed for a while in a hotel in Lewes that popped up on hotels from hell or something similar, i thought it was fine.
In Kingston people used to have bookcases at the front of their houses on the pavement filled with freshly laid eggs and plants and bits and pieces all with prices on and a little tin that was there so when you took your eggs or whatever you just put the money in the tin, how is that for trust?

Last edited:
Would i be correct in saying the road that goes past the ground, a27? was where the plane crashed killing the Shoreham footballers.
Same road but different place. The A27 is really long. Runs most of the way through Sussex to out past Southampton. The crash was in Shoreham, a satellite town/suburb a few miles along the coast to the west of Brighton. The Amex is a couple of miles north east of the city centre. No football pitches in the city centre so I spent a lot of Sunday mornings on that road travelling to Sunday league matches in the 90s.

I went to a Brighton game when they played at the athletics stadium, that was a weird place,
Dreadful but, given it had been a trek to Gilligham for ‘home’ games, it was a huge relief and a mark of some progress. Gilligham was fucking miles and a nightmare to get to. In to London, tube to change stations, then almost as far out again. Probably the most inconvenient ground in the South East to get to from Brighton. The Withdean was not a suitable stadium for professional football—i used to play matches there and I was playing at a spectacularly average, local league level—but at least it was in Brighton.

Dreadful but, given it had been a trek to Gilligham for ‘home’ games, it was a huge relief and a mark of some progress. Gilligham was fucking miles and a nightmare to get to. In to London, tube to change stations, then almost as far out again. Probably the most inconvenient ground in the South East to get to from Brighton. The Withdean was not a suitable stadium for professional football—i used to play matches there and I was playing at a spectacularly average, local league level—but at least it was in Brighton.
Was it the fact that it had hardly any cover that made it feel so bad?

Got a wee soft spot for Charlton. Ran a pub in Eltham SE9, and there were loads of Addicks who were regulars. Some helped with the early landscaping work(volunteers) before it re-opened in '92. At the first game back they played the Skids, think they may still do. Saw a few matches there the season they gained promotion.

My gran and grandad lived just down the road from Eltham, in Mottingham right next to the Porcupine Pub ( a Lidls now last I heard ).
Grandad occasionally went to watch Charlton...so I also have a soft spot for them.

I went to the Valley when that East Terrace was open - it was jaw-droppingly massive. There were several large terraces around back then, but most were behind the goals and this was along the length of the pitch - and on a different scale to the others.

My old man was a Charlton fan and would tell me tales of how good they were in the forties, winning the FA Cup in 1946/47ish - hence the big ground I think.

Scattered his ashes two years ago in the memorial garden in the corner by the away end. Charlton told me at the time it’s the only memorial garden with a view of the pitch?

Was there before Christmas watching Cardiff and got to say, whilst it’s been modernised, it’s still a traditional football stadium and a far cry from the identikit stadia that spring up everywhere now. Proper ground.
If Ibrox is ever redeveloped then my dream would be terracing or rail seating where the Govan stand is, but only one tier, and as high as possible. What a sight that would be full of Rangers fans. A 40,000 singing section.

My gran and grandad lived just down the road from Eltham, in Mottingham right next to the Porcupine Pub ( a Lidls now last I heard ).
Grandad occasionally went to watch Charlton...so I also have a soft spot for them.
I used to work with a guy and The Porcupine was his local, i did go in a few times with him for a beer, huge place.

I went to the old ground once with Blues.
Left Cannock about 1 ,Mate left his car on Hilton Park( no charge those days),hitched and trained it into London.Jibbed the train to the stop before Brighton then taxi to the ground.Got a lift back To near Brum on a coach ,hitched it back up to Cannock then into car and home at daft o'clock in the morning.
All to see us lose 2.0 :))
Glad I went though as it would have been around 86 .So I got in the Goldstone before it was flattened.
Disgrace what happened to it.
That Gillingham gig must have been brutal on supporters.

Bit odd topic but the maracana in Brazil was some sight before they done it up for the world cup. Biggest stadium in the world at the time it was abandoned I'm sure. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
Biggest football stadium. There's a stadium in Prague that has or had a capacity of 250k.

Strahov stadium, I've been to see it and it looks big. I think it might be sparta's training ground now
Pink floyd played there in 90s, the band and stage crew struggled to find it as it didn't show up on maps of the city, because it was used by the Czech military.

Back