Picture of Charlton's ground They Valley when it was abandonded

It’s at the back of Currys. The owners are trying to sell it for housing but it’s in a shitehole of an area.
Know Falkirk mate although don‘t live there I assumed the retail park includes the old ground. I guess sites like that should be used for homes in all towns and cities rather than new green sites. Agree not the best area.

Bit odd topic but the maracana in Brazil was some sight before they done it up for the world cup. Biggest stadium in the world at the time it was abandoned I'm sure. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
Abandoned again now isn’t it?

The picture puts me in mind of going to Shawfield a couple of years ago for the dogs. That's largely been left to go to ruin, hard to imagine it being popular enough to need the full stadium

Seems to be a bit of a connection between Charlton and Rangers. I remember Jim Davidson telling me about it at some length in 'Nicks' on Hyndland Road a few years ago. We'd both had a few so i cannot remember the details.

The old South bank at Wolves was massive too .wasnt Belle View Doncaster a big ground?

When you look at the population of London and the fact that the four biggest clubs are all north of the Thames, if Charlton or Palace or even Millwall really got their act together, there is some potential support there.

One more trivia. In 1957, The Valley was the scene of the greatest ever comeback in English League history. 5-1 down to Huddersfield with 27 minutes left, and down to 10 men, centre forward Johnny Summers netted 5 for Charlton to win 7-6. The Huddersfield manager was a certain Bill Shankly.

Kick it, Barnstoneworth!

549f6a520bb0172c85282b67d70646.jpg

I love pics of old grounds. I always remember looking out the car window when Clydebank left their old ground. It lay empty for years I think?

Bit odd topic but the maracana in Brazil was some sight before they done it up for the world cup. Biggest stadium in the world at the time it was abandoned I'm sure. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
Scotland played a friendly there in the 1970s and the general consensus was that it was underwhelming hovel.

Charlton fans fought a long campaign to get back to the Valley and spent years at Sellhurst Park as tenants.

I old the old East Terrace was said to be able to hold 44,000.

From a facebook page -

Ive finally found my old photo album with pics i took of The Valley when it was abandoned from 1985 to 1992. Here is a pic i took from the top of the massive east terrace.

Isn't that a picture from Sell Out Saturday?

This is the ground of Bradford Park Avenue (capacity 37,000). It was designed by our old friend Archibald Leitch.

BradfordPAold.jpg

It backed onto a cricket ground:

14697217549_35a689058b_b.jpg

Bradford Park Avenue were replaced in the football league by Cambridge Utd in 1970. They were liquidated 4 years later. The stadium was demolished in 1980.

08be311b635d0586049c5e4d317844ce.jpg

BPA-5-1.jpg

Scotland played a friendly there in the 1970s and the general consensus was that it was underwhelming hovel.
Underhwleming maybe it was a shitehole but the sheer size of it was immense. It blows hamdump out the water anyway can tell you that much for free lol.

Underhwleming maybe it was a shitehole but the sheer size of it was immense. It blows hamdump out the water anyway can tell you that much for free lol.
In fairness Hampden used to be pretty massive as well. I think it was the biggest stadium in Europe for a long time.

Love the Nostalgia about these old Stadiums, there was a 'if you had a time meachine' thread in the lounge a few weeks ago. I'd defo have went on a tour of some old grounds.

Charlton fans fought a long campaign to get back to the Valley and spent years at Sellhurst Park as tenants.

I old the old East Terrace was said to be able to hold 44,000.

From a facebook page -

Ive finally found my old photo album with pics i took of The Valley when it was abandoned from 1985 to 1992. Here is a pic i took from the top of the massive east terrace.

Remember the Who playing Gigs at the Valley in 1974 and I think 1977.

It’s fascinating how quickly places fall into disrepair when not maintained, and how quickly nature takes over
I remember watching a documentary about the hypothetical scenario of humans being wiped out in an instant by a virus. It showed how quickly nature would reclaim all that we've made. Some of it was CGI but they also showed examples of abandoned towns from around the world which had very quickly gone back to nature.

Back