Picture of Charlton's ground They Valley when it was abandonded

No it's in exactly the same place. Ground was modernised and some evidence of the past can still be found. The Valley is in amongst housing as a lot of the old stadiums are/We're.

Maybe a bit off topic, but a wee bit of trivia - when The Who did their Who Put The Boot In tour in 1976, they played three football stadiums across the UK. The Valley and Swansea’s Vetch Field are no more - the third was the Chamber of Secrets. Here’s hoping it’s an omen.
Edit - is it still the same stadium or is it now the”New Valley”?
The Valley was the loudest rock gig ever recorded at the time. Had the pleasure of going to the Valley a few times as a kid, my old football team Marvels Lane had links with their youth. Great stadium at it's time.

Charlton fans fought a long campaign to get back to the Valley and spent years at Sellhurst Park as tenants.

I old the old East Terrace was said to be able to hold 44,000.

From a facebook page -

Ive finally found my old photo album with pics i took of The Valley when it was abandoned from 1985 to 1992. Here is a pic i took from the top of the massive east terrace.

They played at Upton Park for a while too.

Charlton fans fought a long campaign to get back to the Valley and spent years at Sellhurst Park as tenants.

From a facebook page -

Ive finally found my old photo album with pics i took of The Valley when it was abandoned from 1985 to 1992. Here is a pic i took from the top of the massive east terrace.

Stuff like this always interests me. Can only imagine the crowds this place would have seen

Where in SE London did you live? I had 30 years in Mottingham and Sidcup.
Nr Abbey Wood / Plumstead. My da came down for a visit and arrived before I got home from work. He plonked himself in the roughest pub in the area (I was always too feart to go in) and was best pals with the other bar flys and the landlady by the time I fearfully poked my head in the door. That was my local afterwards and they were always asking after him

There is a lesson for us with Charlton, if you can mobilise the support you can influence the council:

However, the Greenwich Borough Council overwhelmingly turned down plans to renovate the ground. Club supporters formed their own local political party, the Valley Party, in response to the council's decision. The party ran candidates for all but two Greenwich Council seats, sparing the two councillors who had approved the new stadium plans. The party won almost 15,000 votes in the 1990 elections,[ successfully pressuring the council to approve the plans for the new stadium.

Nr Abbey Wood / Plumstead. My da came down for a visit and arrived before I got home from work. He plonked himself in the roughest pub in the area (I was always too feart to go in) and was best pals with the other bar flys and the landlady by the time I fearfully poked my head in the door. That was my local afterwards and they were always asking after him
I know the area well, I went to Woolwich college to do my sparking. Being in Mottingham I tended to lean towards Millwall myself.

In fairness Hampden used to be pretty massive as well. I think it was the biggest stadium in Europe for a long time.
Hampden was the worlds largest stadium from 1903 until the Maracana was built in 1950.

is the old third lanark ground still standing?
hqdefault.jpg

From a facebook page -

Fair play to them fighting the campaign to get back to their home.
Respect.

Edit - is it still the same stadium or is it now the”New Valley”?

Charlton are my local team.

The New Valley refers to the old stadium surrounding the pitch being demolished and the new one constructed being the "new" valley.

Charlton still play on the same pitch they started on, albeit they have had some real fights over the years to do so.

From a facebook page -

That stand behind the goal is still there.

Lot of Rangers support amongst us
I used to run the South East London Loyal out of The Cutty Sark in Thamesmead, the pub later run by Andy Fordham (RIP)

some articles about our return to the valley in December 1992, we left in Septemper 1985, spent 6 years or so at Selhurst Park then a season and a half at Upton Park

I used to run the South East London Loyal out of The Cutty Sark in Thamesmead, the pub later run by Andy Fordham (RIP)

some articles about our return to the valley in December 1992, we left in Septemper 1985, spent 6 years or so at Selhurst Park then a season and a half at Upton Park

We were in there Helicopter Sunday, the sheer bedlam is something i will never forget.
Another day i was in when my daughter was small it was a big game and after a goal i chucked her up in the air, the tv was a projector and she rattled into it causing a blank screen, i was not the most popular until the picture came back.

Reactions: DA9
Remember seeing pics years ago of the old plough lane stadium after the original Wimbledon had left there. Always a shame seeing football stadia abandoned like that.

We were in there Helicopter Sunday, the sheer bedlam is something i will never forget.
Another day i was in when my daughter was small it was a big game and after a goal i chucked her up in the air, the tv was a projector and she rattled into it causing a blank screen, i was not the most popular until the picture came back.
I remember it well

Watched many a game in the Cutty Sark when I was working in Belvedere, hence the user name Was always given a warm welcome. Loved the Sunday games when there was practically a full roast on the bar to pick from. Also won the meat raffle once!!

Reactions: DA9
Back