Picture This Scotland- Duncan Ferguson

Really, sounds like some shite from a ghost written players book. If it’s true it says more about Hateley than Duncan Ferguson.
Not really. I remember this. Hateley’s nose was out of joint a bit, as the talk was that DF was going to be his replacement.

Mark was an England International and had played in Italy, he imo quite rightly has an arrogance about him
Never felt threatened by DF and gave him good advise
Ian Ferguson loved Ray Wilkins for the same reason, always talking to him and giving him advise

Ferguson. Gattuso and Cooper all left the club too early.
At least we got to see Cooper for a few seasons but for Big Dunk his Rangers career was over in the blink of an eye.

Really, sounds like some shite from a ghost written players book. If it’s true it says more about Hateley than Duncan Ferguson.
A story about Mark Hateley says more about Mark Hateley than anyone else?

Stone the crows :D

Mark Hateley was asked by Walter Smith what he thought
of our new signing ( DF ) He replied 'It's a lot of money for a substitute'
Maybe not as amusing for Walter that Duncan wasn't a year into his permanent Everton deal when Mark Hateley returned all-washed-up for season 95/96 and moved on ASAP to the first mugs who came in for him - QPR.

Mark, the greatest Rangers striker I've ever seen, had spent much of his time abroad injured. His injury record was a bad one, and it took him almost the entire first season at Ibrox to get fit. Had I been asked to name the guy who rescues our season against Aberdeen, it wouldn't have been him. The bounce he got from it was incredible and his goal at the piggery the following season showed the pace, power, and finishing ability of a world-class talent.

Worth considering Ferguson was down the road, Hateley was finished before turning 34, and Ally was constantly injured (although capable the odd time he was fit, and still was at Killie).

Our top scorer in 95/96, Gordon Durie, was a very bog-standard, average striker with a tackle-distance first touch. Oleg Salenko, Erik Bo Andersen, Negri a 4/5 month wonder and then a disappearing act.

The sale of Duncan Ferguson was as big a part of our ten in a row failure as anything, and that's something that is constantly overlooked.

We had the goose to lay that golden egg, and we chased it the f*ck away to leave ourselves with barely enough for a fry-up.

And Walter Smith would never have been a legend without that second spell. He rescued the club AND his reputation in the eyes of some who'd been very unimpressed by his under-achievement, especially in the seasons with no competition to speak of whatsoever.

I think that was Mark way of saying you will need to be good to oust me from the team

It's also that sort of attitude that breeds winning cultures. Craig Moore has spoken about it too. In order to even get in the team you had to keep up with better players in training, and learn from them; they in turn can't take their place for granted because you're breathing down their neck. Iron sharpens iron. Had it not been for Ferguson being jailed etc then long term he'd have benefitted from having to try to oust a motivated Hateley from his perch.

It's an absolute farce that Ferguson was jailed for an on-the-field incident. Hilarious when you consider that tims bleat every day about how the refs and establishment are against them.

Ferguson. Gattuso and Cooper all left the club too early.
At least we got to see Cooper for a few seasons but for Big Dunk his Rangers career was over in the blink of an eye.

Cooper left at the right time. He went to a club where he played every week, got back into the Scotland team and would have played at Italia '90 had it not been for a late injury. It was shite for us that he left - but the fair thing for him.

did walter reply but he's our new left winger where he played at times, remember the sheep quarter final at Ibrox out on the left.

Mark had a lot of time for DF
Claimed he set about him more than once at a Sportsman I was at.

Maybe not as amusing for Walter that Duncan wasn't a year into his permanent Everton deal when Mark Hateley returned all-washed-up for season 95/96 and moved on ASAP to the first mugs who came in for him - QPR.

Mark, the greatest Rangers striker I've ever seen, had spent much of his time abroad injured. His injury record was a bad one, and it took him almost the entire first season at Ibrox to get fit. Had I been asked to name the guy who rescues our season against Aberdeen, it wouldn't have been him. The bounce he got from it was incredible and his goal at the piggery the following season showed the pace, power, and finishing ability of a world-class talent.

Worth considering Ferguson was down the road, Hateley was finished before turning 34, and Ally was constantly injured (although capable the odd time he was fit, and still was at Killie).

Our top scorer in 95/96, Gordon Durie, was a very bog-standard, average striker with a tackle-distance first touch. Oleg Salenko, Erik Bo Andersen, Negri a 4/5 month wonder and then a disappearing act.

The sale of Duncan Ferguson was as big a part of our ten in a row failure as anything, and that's something that is constantly overlooked.

We had the goose to lay that golden egg, and we chased it the f*ck away to leave ourselves with barely enough for a fry-up.

And Walter Smith would never have been a legend without that second spell. He rescued the club AND his reputation in the eyes of some who'd been very unimpressed by his under-achievement, especially in the seasons with no competition to speak of whatsoever.
Brilliant post. I agree with everything, especially the last paragraph.

Hateley got injured v Aberdeen in November 1994 and was never the same player again. That was the last we saw of him at the peak of his powers. He came back a month later v Hibs, went off injured at HT and we didn't see him for nearly 4 months where he looked half fit and a shadow of the player he was.

McCoist then went out injured a week later up at Tannadice, made his comeback 2 months later against the same opposition and then was never saw again until August.

We sold Dunc in early December with our 2 main strikers out injured and Gordon Durie as the only striker at the club. What then followed was a rotating cast of midfielders being played out of position up front - Charlie Miller, Brian McGinty, Ian Ferguson and the club supposedly considering bringing back a hasbeen Mo Johnston who had scored 5 goals in 18 months for Hearts and eventually signed instead for Falkirk.

From December to the end of the season we had one fit centre forward. He scored 5 league goals all season. It was an incredible mess to find ourselves in.

Hateley got injured v Aberdeen in November 1994 and was never the same player again. That was the last we saw of him at the peak of his powers. He came back a month later v Hibs, went off injured at HT and we didn't see him for nearly 4 months where he looked half fit and a shadow of the player he was.
Moment it really hit me was while watching him against Levski Sofia at Ibrox. He ran for a ball at the Govan Stand side and the opponent wasn't a flying wing-back. Mark started running from behind the defender, but defender was facing the ball and had to turn.

12-18 months previous left-back is left for dead, but he took the ball, followed by Hateley when he made up 2-3 yards. Said to cuz, "Best case still injured, worst case done completely."

I doubt he'd have won a 100m sprint against Alan McLaren.

No doubt Rangers got agent, said we want to buy someone so £2,000,000 for proven quality striker. Not long term, but able to keep up English top league strugglers. Daft sods at Loftus Road bought it. Fans hated him. Seen him at Hull twice. Basically walking round the pitch, legends match style.

The thought of another 12 months the second time at Ibrox is frightening. I bet Murray was desperate to do it, and Walter just as desperate to stop the ego from pissing away the dough.

No disrespect to him, but time waits for no man. A great pity it came so soon for Mark.

Can't help myself, but, he did, you did, you both did?
Yumbo?

Hahaha what a place that is, asked a taxi driver to take the missus, pup and myself to a good shopping centre and that is where he took us. My boy was in fits, think he was about 13/14 at the time, and couldnt believe his eyes.

I think everyone , including Mark would agree , Duncan has done very well in his career for someone Mark described as a substitute. Hope Mark found the funny side about his jacket...

Hahaha what a place that is, asked a taxi driver to take the missus, pup and myself to a good shopping centre and that is where he took us. My boy was in fits, think he was about 13/14 at the time, and couldnt believe his eyes.
Everyone who visits PDI has a nosey. I first went and it was the Gay Carnival. Eye opening wasn't the word. A group of about 10 swiss gay guys insisted on getting a photo with my mrs, all wearing matching suits that looked like wallpaper! The centre is huge. Tbh non-threatening atmosphere and the bars that are 'extreme ' will let you know. Each to their own.

Back