Pierreluigi Collina

bangormaine

Just reading an article about Pierreluigi Collina, the finest ref I ever saw, but I cannot remember where I saw him. It must have been at Ibrox, but I cannot recall the match. Who should I ask, that’s right Follow Follow never lets you down.

Looks like he did a few of our away games v galatasaray and fenerbache around the same time and then again Man Utd in 2003 at OT

We used to have a Sottish referee that looked a bit Collina-ish. (in looks not ability)
Baldy Rowbotham!

Sent off Gazza at Parkhead after he and Morten Weighorst clashed, the correct outcome for which should have been a yellow card for each player. However, he gave Gazza a straight red, and wouldn't even give Weighorst a yellow, as he had been booked earlier, and would have had to walk.

In many folk's minds that decision was a pivotal moment in our bid for TIAR.

Just watched the Brazil 2002 documentary on Sky. The bold Collina was doing the World Cup Final alongside our very own Hugh Dallas. They had to be at the stadium really early and so with time to kill Collina takes Hugh in to meet the Brazilian team.

I'm assuming he did likewise with the Germans.

I never understood the "love" for him. He was ( IMHO) a rascist cheat. He sent Paul Ince off in Italy when, at a corner, Ince was stood with his hands on his hips. The keeper ( maybe Buffon, but I can't remember) threw himself on the ground with his hands on his face. Collina races over and red cards Ince. He couldn't have seen anything to warrant any card, except to the keeper fo simulation. As far as I am aware he has never even apologized or acknowledged his "error", he seemed to get a lot of his reputation just for looking scary.

I never understood the "love" for him. He was ( IMHO) a rascist cheat. He sent Paul Ince off in Italy when, at a corner, Ince was stood with his hands on his hips. The keeper ( maybe Buffon, but I can't remember) threw himself on the ground with his hands on his face. Collina races over and red cards Ince. He couldn't have seen anything to warrant any card, except to the keeper fo simulation. As far as I am aware he has never even apologized or acknowledged his "error", he seemed to get a lot of his reputation just for looking scary.
So he’s racist based on the fact he, allegedly, wrongly sent Paul Ince off once?

Did he use the "N" word when he sent him off, or does he have a history of only sending off black people?

Struggling to grasp the racism bit. B-)

It’s quite a deduction to label anyone a racist because he wrongly sent off Ince, what other incidents are there to back this up ?

Did this happen twice to Paul Ince?

He was wrongly sent off against Piacenza but it was a player who threw themselves to the ground and it certainly wasn’t Collina who was the ref.

Remember 1 night at Ibrox when he was the Ref.some wee boy asked him for his autograph when he was warming up.It look liked the linesmen were ripping the pish out of him for it.

I was convinced he cheated us away to fenerbache. Seemed to give them every decision , but maybe my bias and alcohol has clouded my memory.
I've always thought he denied us a stonewall penalty near the end of that game, like yourself though the sands of time and copious amounts of alcohol watching the game may have clouded my judgement.
I've still thought him a cheat since then anyhow hahaa.

Owen-Jones.jpg

You have had a nightmare here.

To claim racism from that, however accurate your description, is a bit of a leap!

He awarded them a pen that night that I swore blind was never a pen and I was absolutely livid. I watched it again on the highlights show when I got home and it was a stonewaller:))
Ditto. From CR4 looked as though Moore won the ball cleanly.

On review, he wasn't even close to it! :oops:

Back