Plastic Pitches

Full plastic pitches are fine for a kickabout or training, but no way are they suitable for professional football. They have a totally different feel to them, you have to make too many subtle adjustments. Grass pitches should be standard or even hybrid, that would give the best of both worlds. Not that ive ever played on Hydrid but trust that its the right balance lol

I dont think we should have them for top level but can understand lower divisions and councils having them and probably necessary. Better than red ash

Full plastic pitches are fine for a kickabout or training, but no way are they suitable for professional football. They have a totally different feel to them, you have to make too many subtle adjustments. Grass pitches should be standard or even hybrid, that would give the best of both worlds. Not that ive ever played on Hydrid but trust that its the right balance lol
Take this into account mate , but when Europe’s second greatest club tournament allows them , It will only be a serious mentally challenged injury that sees them banned from SPL.

A grass pitch should be the criteria for the top division. These clubs make a fortune from the Old Firm via ticket sales. Build a plastic pitch outside your Stadium, train on that and make it available to the public if need be.

The way I see it progessing is this...there has been a recent study concluded on dememtia and heading the ball. Heading has been banned for u12s.

Im not just talking about injuries like Murphy's here abd direct injuries, im talking about joint damage and acceleration of arthritis etc.

Put that together with the spectacle and status of our game and sky etc it is an absolute disgrace.
Use arthritis a big problem in basketball as that’s played on solid floor with as much give as a plastic pitch

I can't think of any games on a plastic pitch that I have enjoyed watching. Absolutely kills the quality of football on offer.

Take this into account mate , but when Europe’s second greatest club tournament allows them , It will only be a serious mentally challenged injury that sees them banned from SPL.
Your prob right! Or take this senario, the sfa requiring all spfl clubs to install hybrid pitches with the sfa subsidising half the costs. But no thats prob too forward thinking for them, might help to improve the game too much in this country. Bunch of cretins

How exactly do they raise money from them??

Renting out to local clubs to train, play at all age levels. Community hubs etc too and even us punters. Falkirk`s gets used a lot even by the likes of me and pals booking games between different 5-a-side teams together for a game of 11`s and it ain`t cheap.

Falkikr then use theirs as a concert venue too having had some big name gigs the last couple of years must have provided the bloodline of thier finances and keeping the club where it is. Can do this without damaging their pitch.

Great business sense, but awful for pro-footballers and us watching the game at top level.

It does seem completely backwards that the 'benefit' of their secondary purpose seems to be held in higher regard than how they perform for their primary purpose

I’m going to slightly disagree here.

Players get injured all the time on grass pitches, I’m not sure it was definitely the plastic pitch that caused the injury for Murphy.

Plastic pitches are good as long as they are watered. I’ve no issue with them when they are watered as the play like a normal grass pitch and the bounce is true.

The problem with the plastic pitches in Scotland is that they are left dry and the ball takes weird bounces and potentially causes injuries.

The SFA/SPFL should make it a rule that plastic pitches have to be watered if they’re to be used in the top flight.

If clubs cant afford a decent grass playing surface they should be chucked out the league. Its embarrassing having these plastic pitches in our top flight.

In my opinion if tems cannot afford real grass for pros to play on then they should not be anywhere near the top leagues

The problem is the small clubs use the pitch daily and if it was grass it would be a churned field. We they are not playing us or them the attendance is abysmal in Scotland so there's just not the funds to keep it in top nick

rent them out for 5 a side, etc
It would be interesting to see how much money is generated for the hire of their pitches over the course of a season. Probably available in the annual accounts. If the SFA were serious about raising the standard of the game in Scotland they could offset the loss of revenue from pitch hire (I doubt it’s a huge amount) for a couple of seasons while Killie, Hamilton and Livingston look to find other means to generate extra income.

"But how many serious injuries are there to be?"

Just one to a Celtc player should do it, can't see the SFA getting off their arse otherwise.

They are a risk to football players and need to go. They will end a few more careers before anything is done about it up here!

I get the arguement on both sides of unnatural bounce, speed of game. Some have said should train on them only. Most senior clubs have artificial pitches for their youth systems and have been growing up playing on these instead of grass. Studies of injuries on the surface are needed to see patterns etc.

Back