Plastic Pitches

Zed

Safe to say that the plastic pitch at Kilmarnock cost Jamie Murphy his Rangers career.

An injury received on the pitch has robbed him the chance to excel at Rangers and win matches etc.

Surely these pitches should be banned from top flight football in all Football Associations. Yeah, I know these 'small' clubs need the pitches to raise money, but how many serious injuries are there to be? I'm also aware that injuries also happen on grass and it's part and parcel of the game, but we have players that do not play on these pitches, due to the pitches.

Time to ban them pitches now.

I fully agree. They also give the home team an unfair advantage. Our players always play within themselves on these pitches to avoid any potential injuries

Reactions: dmg
The way I see it progessing is this...there has been a recent study concluded on dememtia and heading the ball. Heading has been banned for u12s.

Im not just talking about injuries like Murphy's here abd direct injuries, im talking about joint damage and acceleration of arthritis etc.

Put that together with the spectacle and status of our game and sky etc it is an absolute disgrace.

I don’t like them in the professional game. As the OP says they effectively ended Murphy’s Rangers career. Did Waghorn not also get his injury at Rugby Park?

At a time where the SFA and SNP are supportive in stopping heading a ball due to potential injury why don't they recognise that plastic pitches do exactly the same. In years to come there will be players crippled due to playing on plastic, only then they will look back and realise the damage been done.

There is no place in the Premier league for plastic pitches. That said there seems to be a quality difference among the current pl clubs with plastic pitches.

There's no place in football at the highest level for these pitches , I've yet to see a decent game on one nevermind the injury worries

plastic pitches are real shite no matter how many thousands they say it costs still shite
Safe to say that the plastic pitch at Kilmarnock cost Jamie Murphy his Rangers career.

An injury received on the pitch has robbed him the chance to excel at Rangers and win matches etc.

Surely these pitches should be banned from top flight football in all Football Associations. Yeah, I know these 'small' clubs need the pitches to raise money, but how many serious injuries are there to be? I'm also aware that injuries also happen on grass and it's part and parcel of the game, but we have players that do not play on these pitches, due to the pitches.

they spoil the game unnatural playing surface

Reactions: Zed
Probably unworkable, but what if clubs that chose plastic pitches were also liable for the costs of any player that was injured as a direct cause of them.

As a paying customer I expect value for money but games on plastic are truly awful to watch. It also gives the home team a sporting and financial advantage which must bring the integrity of competition into question. If clubs in the lower or even junior leagues can afford grass pitches then premiership clubs have no excuse.

I think this will be looked back on in 10 or 15 years time and people will be shaking the head at the thought of them

I have yer to see a decent game yet on them thankfully we seem to be dealing with it better as we haven't dropped any points on them

Some of the lower league clubs like these because of the revenue earning aspect. Should be banned past a certain level though. Too many players getting injured and some others avoiding playing as they aggravate existing problems

They should be outlawed in the Professional Game. No grass, no license to play.
it wasn't that long ago.falkirk were denied premier league entry because there stadium was not all seater.(if i mind right)
so if you don't have a proper pitch,you shoudn't gain entry.

Out walking the dog today and stopped to watch an amateur match at seedhill pitches. Obviously its plastic but wont be the same standard as elite pitches.
Anyway boys played through on goal, ball was played on the deck nice pass actually. The striker shapes up to pass it by the keeper. The ball boobbled to knee height out of nowhere. Boy misses because of the bobble.
My point is i don't think they have any place in any level of 11 a side football. The sfa sit at hampden wondering why Scottish football is absolute dross. Well its the shite pitches allowed from grassroots up. Growing up i played a lot on red ash (another shite surface see sfa comment)
Id honestly rather play on that than half the shite artificial pitches on the go just now
Absolutely should be banned from all forms of 11's especially in Scotland as our youth aren't going to improve playing on shote surfaces.

Are the synthetic pitches in Scandinavian countries and Russia and the like any better than the Scottish versions? Just wondered if they have the same issues with inconsistent bounce / roll and player injuries.

Are the synthetic pitches in Scandinavian countries and Russia and the like any better than the Scottish versions? Just wondered if they have the same issues with inconsistent bounce / roll and player injuries.

The bounce at Kilmarnock especially is shocking. If you watch the arc the ball comes in on, on a grass pitch it bounces away on the same arc, and you're only really judging the speed / height the ball will reach. On a plastic pitch, the ball tends to bounce straight up in the air which causes all sorts of problems for defenders in particular. The teams that play on these pitches can judge this and gain a competitive advantage.

it wasn't that long ago.falkirk were denied premier league entry because there stadium was not all seater.(if i mind right)
so if you don't have a proper pitch,you shoudn't gain entry.

Yip, had to be 10k seats, it saved the sheep from relegation. It was then changed to 6k. All good to have good facilities for fans, however, the product should be good, I have seen one good game on plastic in Scotland, that was a Friday night game v airdrie.

of course. They should not be allowed in the Top tier. Teams should not be promoted if they cannot put a Grass pitch in place. teams with plastic pitches should be given a deadline to install Grass or be removed from the league.

Back