Player name pronunciations

Back in the day, my dad would refer to Ally as McCloist, which I presumed was a bit of a hangover from saying Peter McCloy for years before that.

On here recently:

Matumbo (Matondo)

Barasic (he's only been here for 4 years lads, the least you could do is get the basics of the letters right. I'm not even being picky about the accents over the letters - Barišić would be accurate, but Barisic will do.)

Commentary/Podcasts
KOH-LATCH
KOH-LAK
MIRRA-LEZ (thanks Super)
MORRA-LEZ
TEEL-MANS
TEEL-MAN
TA-VER-NEE-AY

One final bit of pedantry - it boils my piss when listening to press conferences that, with the notable exception of @David Edgar and the H&H lads, the media call the manager "Gio" - like they're pals or something. Unless he has specifically said at some point "please, call me Gio" then when they're asking questions they should be using his given name, which is Giovanni.

Absolutely agree.

His name is Giovanni and until he says to call him Gio we’ll call him Giovanni.

Slightly off topic but I recall a 1960’s News Reader ( Reginald Bosanquet I think) saying that he really struggled with one African politician’s name.
The guy was called Abubakar Tarawa Balewa.

Bosanquet said he practiced and practiced the guy’s name but couldn’t get it right so he avoided any article involving him.

After weeks of effort and sticking to the task he finally got it right and he proudly did an article on him in that night’s news.

Abubakar Tarawa Balewa was assassinated the next day.

Back