Player name pronunciations

Also I was secretly glad we sold Bassey in the summer as my sanity couldn’t take another season of the same old fella mentioned previously that sits near me calling him “Batty” for 60 odd games.

I hope Rangers do one, and you're all left eating humble pie when jaymz tav er nee ay and alf reddo mo ra lez step up to the mic.

Tim Vickery no doubt.
Haha it actually wasn't this time.

It was the 2002 World Cup throwback episode a few weeks ago.

Never heard of the guy but it was so bad I had to turn it off.

Speaking plain English then saying hivaldo and honaldinho with everyone else calling them Rivaldo and Ronaldinho in the same show.

I specifically remember when Ian Durrant broke into the team in the mid 80s the bird on the news not pronouncing it Jewrant but Duhrint.

2 Danes names are always pronounced wrong
Løvenkrands although to be fair we don’t have the ø sound in English and also Laudrups first name is always pronounced wrong as it should be pronounced Breean.

Sometimes there can be more than 1 way to pronounce a name. Depends on the individuals preference how they want it to be said

On here recently:

Matumbo (Matondo)

Barasic (he's only been here for 4 years lads, the least you could do is get the basics of the letters right. I'm not even being picky about the accents over the letters - Barišić would be accurate, but Barisic will do.)

Commentary/Podcasts
KOH-LATCH
KOH-LAK
MIRRA-LEZ (thanks Super)
MORRA-LEZ
TEEL-MANS
TEEL-MAN
TA-VER-NEE-AY

One final bit of pedantry - it boils my piss when listening to press conferences that, with the notable exception of @David Edgar and the H&H lads, the media call the manager "Gio" - like they're pals or something. Unless he has specifically said at some point "please, call me Gio" then when they're asking questions they should be using his given name, which is Giovanni.

Sometimes there can be more than 1 way to pronounce a name. Depends on the individuals preference how they want it to be said
True, but we've got plenty who think it depends on their preference as to how they want to say it or spell it, which is kind of disrespectful.

'yes, that is how you spell and say your name, I understand that... But I like my way so tough shit'

What a shock Zaha is complaining

McCoist and some others still say Morales and does my head in
It’s inexcusable, a bizarre British aversion to pronouncing foreign names correctly for fear of ridicule.

I’ve yet to hear anyone actually call our new Croatian striker Cho-lak, for instance.

Then there are the wa*kers that take it too far with Bruno Fernange and Hamesh Rodriguez.

Was a guy on Athletic podcast few weeks ago calling Ronaldinho, Honaldinho but every other word was normal English. Twat.

I see we've found Danny Murphy's log in. How do you pronounce James Rodriguez's name?

Vickery has been working on Brazilian football while living in the country for over 30 years. It makes sense he would say it the Portuguese way. Derek Rae takes it too far, however.

Joel Ward = “Jole W-aw-d”? This has got to be one of the mkst tragically stupid things I’ve seen a football club produce.

I agree with Zaha, that was the right idea but embarrassingly stupid in its execution.

My dad always called Caniggia Can-knee-ah.

Used to sit next to an old boy who was a big fan of Russell Lapaty

I see we've found Danny Murphy's log in. How do you pronounce James Rodriguez's name?

Vickery has been working on Brazilian football while living in the country for over 30 years. It makes sense he would say it the Portuguese way. Derek Rae takes it too far, however.
It wasnt Tim Vickery though and I'm not Danny Murphy :D

You feeling OK?

I worked with Ugo Ehiogu for a couple of years , with a charity I set up in London. He often laughed at people's attempts to pronounce either his first name or surname .

Not pronunciation but spelling-"Barasic" does my f##king nut in a lot more than it should. I've now taken to editing posts that contain it, guess I've to much time on my hands.
The pronunciation too though, supposedly it's "Bara-shich" not "Bara-sitch"

Back