Player of the tournament so far.....

After 2 games it's got to be Ronaldo no question. A superb performance against Spain including a hat trick, then the match winner against Morocco, where admittedly he had a poor game but still came up with the goods and secured 3 points for his country.

Agree with this.

So is player of the tournament the guy who scores most goals? I don't think he done anything against Iran that would merit him getting praise for his performance.

After watching Belgium today one of their players could be up there.

Scored most goals? No.

The guy has single handedly won Portugal 4 points. Yes I said he was poor against Iran but he still produced the goods when it mattered and got the only goal of the game.

The question was player of the tournament SO FAR - 2 GAMES IN.

In my opinion the player of the tournament should be the player who's made the biggest impact to their side - in a relatively successful side (not necessarily tournament winners). Not just simply the most goals, best goal or the best piece of skill.

So far......Cristiano Ronaldo end of story.

The great one by an absolute mile.

Dt17 - Sponge better watch his back or Messi will have another cock to play with :D

Scored most goals? No.

The guy has single handedly won Portugal 4 points. Yes I said he was poor against Iran but he still produced the goods when it mattered and got the only goal of the game.

In my opinion the player of the tournament should be the player who's made the biggest impact to their side - in a relatively successful side (not necessarily tournament winners). Not just simply the most goals, best goal or the best piece of skill.

He hates Ronaldo mate.
A Barca boy is our Dt17 :D

A Barca boy who owns a Real Madrid top and wears it at 5s. Brilliant. ;)

Going by the logic in here Lukaku is the joint greatest player of all time because he has 4 goals the same as Ronaldo.

Scored most goals? No.

My original question was ‘apart’ from Ronaldo, not included as at the time of asking he was already shaping up as the star of the tournament.

A Barca boy who owns a Real Madrid top and wears it at 5s. Brilliant. ;)

Going by the logic in here Lukaku is the joint greatest player of all time because he has 4 goals the same as Ronaldo.
Just a wee laugh mate.
I like you dig in regarding Messi.
Anything I post out with Rangers might be a bam up.
You've picked a side so man up

My vote goes to Modric. The type of player in very short supply, lots of grafters and runners but few thinkers.

He’s the best candidate even if you include Ronaldo. Modric has played two great games, CR7 was rank against Morocco aside from the early goal. Blew 2 or 3 golden chances to win it, took a couple of tragic dives, lost possession a lot.

Modric put the Argies and the Nigerians to the sword and dictated and dominated both games.

Nice of you to include him lol.

How would you describe his Spanish performance?

A dive, goalie mistake and a could do better goalie mistake.

Ps. Loving the Ronaldo AWOL CL stuff.

10 games in a row he scored ya ride.:cool:

Nice of you to include him lol.

How would you describe his Spanish performance?

A dive, goalie mistake and a could do better goalie mistake.

Ps. Loving the Ronaldo AWOL CL stuff.

10 games in a row he scored ya ride.:cool:

Come on he did disappear completely though, and Ramos has saved his bacon in two previous CL finals where he’s been a no show, not to mention John Terry, and Eder at international level.

I thought Ronaldo was brilliant against Spain even taking away the goals. Linked up really well, showed a rare selfless streak, held the ball up when he needed to, used his experience to take pressure of his team and lead really well.

Two of his goals were a bit pish though that’s true, one was just blind luck.

Come on he did disappear completely though, and Ramos has saved his bacon in two previous CL finals where he’s been a no show, not to mention John Terry, and Eder at international level.

I thought Ronaldo was brilliant against Spain even taking away the goals. Linked up really well, showed a rare selfless streak, held the ball up when he needed to, used his experience to take pressure of his team and lead really well.

Two of his goals were a bit pish though that’s true, one was just blind luck.
You not think he looked a lot quicker?
Looks like he's lost weight.
Run for that counter attack when boy missed sitter was 08 stuff.

You know I like a wee niggle but even me won't hold international football against Messi...nae lady's front bottom will care come August unless Portugal fluke another tourney.

Could the Argies fit Messi and Dybala into side?

Definitely that posing, Portuguese ponce Ronaldo. Portugal would be on a par with the Scotland team if it weren't for him.

You not think he looked a lot quicker?
Looks like he's lost weight.
Run for that counter attack when boy missed sitter was 08 stuff.

You know I like a wee niggle but even me won't hold international football against Messi...nae lady's front bottom will care come August unless Portugal fluke another tourney.

Could the Argies fit Messi and Dybala into side?

Definitely mate. He was really noticeably sluggish at Madrid for most of last season. He had a couple of blistering runs up the park against Spain as though he’d managed to turn time back a couple of years. Was impressive stuff all round.

I have no idea, it’s such a strange team. Even the attackers don’t seem to gel too well. They’re all so individualistic too, aside form Higuain maybe. Di Maria always wants to run with the ball himself, Dbyala had one good opportunity to get Messi in and took a daft effort from a ridiculous angle instead. Felt sorry for the midget but at the same time he seemed to let his head drop as much as anyone when Caballero handed that goal away. Looked resigned to failure which isn’t a great look for a captain

As well as you know who, Modric, Kane, Lukaku, Hazard stick in the mind. The laddie of Nigeria who scored two and whose name I can't remember, shamefully, has been excellent. I'm sure there must be a couple of Russians worth a mention but I didn't have chance to really concentrate on their games.

Cherysev is the player of the tournament so far, if dzagoev didnt pick up a hamstring injury he would be sitting on his arse.

Dzagoev was unreal in Euro 2012 I remember but he never really kicked on did he?

Is Cherysev on Real Madrid's books still?

Regarding Ronaldo and his pace. It does seem a bit odd that for the last 2-3 seasons he looks as if he's been slowing down (there was a video of Dani Alves and Umtiti outrunning him) yet suddenly at 33 years old he's absolutely rapid again.

Messi.

Terrible Argentina team in disarray and he says "come on lads, get on my back, I'm carrying you to the knockout round".

Without reading other replies I would have said Modric who has inspired his team to 3 wins.

As well as you know who, Modric, Kane, Lukaku, Hazard stick in the mind. The laddie of Nigeria who scored two and whose name I can't remember, shamefully, has been excellent. I'm sure there must be a couple of Russians worth a mention but I didn't have chance to really concentrate on their games.

Musa ?

Right now I agree that Modric & Ronaldo are the frontrunners as we step forward to the knockout phase, however I’ve loved the performances of so many less well known players ( to me anyway ).

Rebic - Croatia
Barrios - Colombia
Iran right back with the poofy pink boots
Hazard - Belgium ( ok, we’ll known )
Milenkovic - Serbia

Loads of others too. It’s been the best WC in many years for me.

Scored most goals? No.

The question was player of the tournament not counting Ronaldo :D

Coutinho has been superb. A notable mention to Granqvist of Sweden, defended really well and held his nerve with a couple of penalties.

The two Uruguay centre backs look rock solid as well.

Quintero, feel he’s in James shadow but remember thinking he was brilliant at last World Cup, hopefully impresses more A.S. Colombia progress

Back