Players Covering Mouth When Speaking

Threads like this really do separate the old yins from the young(er) yins.

The older bears will never understand why players have to partake in this kind of thing nowadays, they're still trying to work out how to send a text on their iPhone 6.

Threads like this really do separate the old yins from the young(er) yins.

The older bears will never understand why players have to partake in this kind of thing nowadays, they're still trying to work out how to send a text on their iPhone 6.
Spot on, but I’ve actually got an IPhone 7 Plus
and can’t still post a photo on this with it

FARE will have lip readers. Just for us though.
Obviously the filth will speak gypo, and it will be construed as their culture.

Football analysts have a lot to do with it, so many of them now at absolutely all levels - 1000's on linked in to start with. Went in for a job with a Gambling firm which was all about finding an edge on certain markets, I was lost with it to be honest - got a test to do in the form of a study looking at how certain teams play and some of the stuff they were looking at was crazy to me.

Apparently the SFA have tried to make it compulsory for Lennon to do it so no one has to be subjected to his rotten teeth.
XiAFx51.gif

Some people have %^*& all better to do than look for random things to get worked up about.

Some people have %^*& all better to do than look for random things to get worked up about.
And others have fek all better to do than come on the thread and post about it.
PS Im not worked up about it any more, it’s cool

Well... Lorenzo Amoruso was dobbed-in by the Daily Record who employed a lip-reader to establish that he called a Borussia Dortmund player a b*ack b*stard in a Champions League game back in the day.

Maybe that's got something to do with it?
The daily rhebel. I stopped reading after that.

Well... Lorenzo Amoruso was dobbed-in by the Daily Record who employed a lip-reader to establish that he called a Borussia Dortmund player a b*ack b*stard in a Champions League game back in the day.

Maybe that's got something to do with it?
Scrolling through the thread before posting .
It looks stupid as f@#k but when you see what lengths opposition fans will go to to stick a player in i.e Lorenzo . It does make total sense to guard against it .
Although it's is laughable to see some of the players in lower leagues at it is totally cringe worthy.

Surprised to read that on a Rangers forum to be honest. If one of our players said something even slightly out of turn and it was picked up you can bet your arse it’d end up in the papers and on the compliance officers desk

Exactly, we're only a couple of weeks after seeing a former Rangers player being sacked for making a wankers sign towards scum supporters. We've had a player sent off in the last couple of years for blowing kisses to the crowd. They'd have a fucking field day if any of our players was caught saying something remotely untoward (or that they could even twist as being untoward) during a game.

Yes, it's pish. But yes, I totally understand it.

They cover their mouths up because like someone mentioned earlier it’s fashion to do so. When a sub comes on he fires out instructions to the rest of the team. I’ve never seen them cover their mouths up.

Exactly, we're only a couple of weeks after seeing a former Rangers player being sacked for making a wankers sign towards scum supporters. We've had a player sent off in the last couple of years for blowing kisses to the crowd. They'd have a fucking field day if any of our players was caught saying something remotely untoward (or that they could even twist as being untoward) during a game.

Yes, it's pish. But yes, I totally understand it.
That was a gesture that I agree with towards them. Unfortunately it was caught on camera and the corrupt press in our country latched onto it.

Clearly folk don’t have a grasp of how sound travels.

Covering your mouth helps the person you’re speaking to hear you more clearly.

Don’t have a problem with it.
Everything is micro analysed these days with hundreds of cameras overlooking.

Players are only protecting themselves from a tabloid headline.

For example - Tav telling a team mate “Mark that prick” or “Mark that c**t”

Monday’s headline “Rangers Captain’s foul mouth abuse of opposition midfielder”

Last edited:
Nuts and Zoo, which were hugely popular for a period, both had a football lip reading feature. Players in the UK started covering their mouths around that time.

So, despite people’s desperation to cry about nothing, there’s an actual reason for it.

I expect the next move will to have the top players take ventriloquism lessons so they can avoid lip movements and make out it was someone else talking.

I'm having trouble grasping why folk can't see why it's probably a good idea.

Players are subject to a level of scrutiny that's light years beyond what used to exist. VAR, Compliance Officers, a media that thrives on click-bait bullshit and mock outrage, obsessed opposition fans (say - off the top of my head - people who's club is essentially a pedo-ring) who want nothing more than to shit-stir.

The stakes have never been higher: careers can be ruined by saying the wrong word, and there's more money in the game than at any point before. Given all that, it's only sensible to be cautious about communication.

I personally don't have an issue with it. These guys lives are under the microscope 24/7 so it must be good for them to speak without the words being over analyzed. There will be umpteen lip readers employed by various companies at every match trying to pick up on something. When they are talking about tactics or opposition players then I would expect them to cover their mouths

I caught an obscure camera angle and read our player's lips, I am sure the first one who shall remain nameless, said, 'Who the fck is this 19th Century Terrorist bstrd of a referee?' the second one, who shall also remain nameless, replied, 'It is the same 19th Century Terrorist bstrd referee who sent Alfie off for fckall!'

Maybe it is better if they keep their hands over their mouths after all.
Lip reader loyal. :D
That’s roughly my take on it :)

I can understand this, especially the way that the newspaper’s analyse every word action or gesture a player makes.
Then hold themselves up as judge and jury to admonish said player for his actions,or try to get them banned, whilst allowing their “ journalists” to write such derogatory articles that people stop buying their rags.

I understand it on the park re tactics messages from managers etc
What’s embarrassing is when u see them do it out with....Seen Dean Shiels in a Starbucks once doing it while on the phone!! Place was heaving/loud & I was probably the only 1 who knew who even recognised who he was!
Wouldn't it be just to stop interference / noise from the leaving / loud surroundings? I do the same with the handset of my work phone so I can hear when people around me are being noisy. I'm sure some musicians try to do so as well, not sure there's science behind it but it's maybe the idea.

There's really some miserable folk around looking at anything to moan about, live and let live :p

Last edited:
I understand it on the park re tactics messages from managers etc
What’s embarrassing is when u see them do it out with....Seen Dean Shiels in a Starbucks once doing it while on the phone!! Place was heaving/loud & I was probably the only 1 who knew who even recognised who he was!

That's so the phone doesnt pick up so much background noise :rolleyes: :D

Morelos banned for 8 games

Alfredo Morelos has been banned for 8 games following comments he made to James Tavernier during the game against Celtic. The Ibrox striker was clearly seen making derogatory comments about referee Kevin Clancy in broken English, however the SFA employed a Spanish lip reader who is deemed a world expert in reading Spanish English verbal translations, and Morelos was subsequently sanctioned by the compliance officer.

Meanwhile Scott Brown has had a similar case thrown out by the SFA after they found they couldnt find an expert anywhere in the world that could understand a word he was saying. Fans of opposition clubs managed to find a Lego expert from Denmark who could tell word for word exactly what Brown shouted at Alfredo Morelos, however the SFA threw the expert out on the grounds he "Wasnt on their list of experts"

I have a list of things that annoy me, but I have to admit that players covering their mouth whilst speaking is not in my top 10. The fact we have a thread about it and I’ve wasted 3 mins of my life typing this is definitely more annoying.

I’m sure I saw a player saying it’s because of the noise from the fans in the stadium, the player there speaking too can’t hear and that’s why they do it.

Happens in the NFL all the time. You often see coaches covering their mouths with a clipboard or something like that whilst instructing plays. Has been happening there for a while. I imagine that’s where they got the idea from. Makes less sense in our game though.

If it is for lip reading purposes also have no problem with it. Players need to protect themselves and managers need to hide tactics

First person I recall seeing it was the bold José

but you’re right, no one cares what 2 Motherwell players are saying

Back