Players departing - transfer fees or not

Live Forever

Official Ticketer
Dorrans, Lafferty, Grezda, Herrera, - It’s ok saying they can go but who’s going to pay their hefty wages. We’ll end up having to pay them off 1st.

Holt, Dodoo hopefully can go back out on loan until contracts are up if we can’t shift permanently.

Would like to keep Barisic but wouldn’t be surprised if he was moved on. Would hope we could recoup our cash there easily enough.

Tav or Freddo I’d expect bids to start at £10M+

We would get fees for Grezda or Barisic, the former lower than we paid, the latter hopefully higher. The others mentioned (not Tav or Morelos obviously) we would have to pay off or at best case, release.

We should be getting money for all of them.

This is where folk need to earn their money, these guys shouldn’t be getting paid off.

No one is paying money for Lafferty it Dorrans.

One is a hand grenade and the other is ageing and has a bad injury record.

I’m all for rinsing people, but they’re just worth nothing on the market.

Dorrans maybe. Lafferty we paid about 500k for a year ago.

Well run clubs would get a fee for they players, minus Dorrans. We’ll see how transfer market savy we have become.

Well run clubs would get a fee for they players, minus Dorrans. We’ll see how transfer market savy we have become.

:D

Lafferty has played his demise out in public sadly.

We should have never paid £500k for Laff. He was never worth that.

I think he’ll be paid off next week.

We should have cashed in on big Wes last summer rather than making it public knowledge he was going to be #2 to McGregor.

Our transfer dealings haven't been great recently especially our outgoings.

Exactly.

Clubs will be happy to sign him up on a free but they won’t pay a fee for him.

Dorrans, Lafferty, Grezda, Herrera, - It’s ok saying they can go but who’s going to pay their hefty wages. We’ll end up having to pay them off 1st.

Holt, Dodoo hopefully can go back out on loan until contracts are up if we can’t shift permanently.

Would like to keep Barisic but wouldn’t be surprised if he was moved on. Would hope we could recoup our cash there easily enough.

Tav or Freddo I’d expect bids to start at £10M+
Dorrans - I think another SPFL outfit will make an attempt to land him (too old to go back down south), could certainly get a fee in the hundreds of thousands, injury aside he’s still a top professional.

Lafferty - I’d hedge a bet that he’ll go back to Hearts, they’d be prepared to bid in the low hundreds of thousands surely?

Grezda - Sold back to eastern europe at a loss.

Herrera - Negotiated pay off, unless Necaxa pay up to keep him?

Holt - Barton suggested FTFC will attempt to keep him, fee paid.

Dodoo - Loan until contract expires.

Barasic - Sold, net profit made (UEL & national team experience + gravitas of playing for us).

Probably mate, poor transfer dealings by us yet again. It really needs to drastically improve.

We should have cashed in on big Wes last summer rather than making it public knowledge he was going to be #2 to McGregor.

Our transfer dealings haven't been great recently especially our outgoings.

Yip, they haven't been great, a bloody disaster would better describe it.

Our bosman signings have been fantastic but where we pay a fee it has proved very costly indeed over the past two seasons.
Pena, Herrera, Dorrans, Barasic, Grezda, Lafferty, along with the young Portugese CB who's name escapes me (old age is a bugger) have seen very little return for a big outlay of around £11m, money we can ill afford to fritter away.

The £1m we spent on Morelos will more than make up for these signings when he is eventually sold which proves there are bargains out there if you shop properly or as is more likely the case almost every transfer is a lottery, some work and some don't, just try to ensure the ones that fail are not too expensive.

Yip, they haven't been great, a bloody disaster would better describe it.

Our bosman signings have been fantastic but where we pay a fee it has proved very costly indeed over the past two seasons.
Pena, Herrera, Dorrans, Barasic, Grezda, Lafferty, along with the young Portugese CB who's name escapes me (old age is a bugger) have seen very little return for a big outlay of around £11m, money we can ill afford to fritter away.

The £1m we spent on Morelos will more than make up for these signings when he is eventually sold which proves there are bargains out there if you shop properly or as is more likely the case almost every transfer is a lottery, some work and some don't, just try to ensure the ones that fail are not too expensive.

Cardoso!

Dorrans - I think another SPFL outfit will make an attempt to land him (too old to go back down south), could certainly get a fee in the hundreds of thousands, injury aside he’s still a top professional.

Lafferty - I’d hedge a bet that he’ll go back to Hearts, they’d be prepared to bid in the low hundreds of thousands surely?

Barasic - Sold, net profit made (UEL & national team experience + gravitas of playing for us).

What SPFL mob are you watching signing players for hundreds of thousands apart from the manks?

Dorrans is shot to pieces - no chance we’ll get any fee for him.

Dorrans is getting on and not kicked a ball in 18 months, there is not a chance we will get a fee for him. Lafferty will be away but again I don't think we will get a fee for him unless its from a European mob like reported Limassol? but even at that it will be a small fee if any.

The only players we will get fee's for is Wes, Grezda & Barasic. Even though Barasic has had a average season, I wouldnt sell him unless its £4 million upwards. He is still a Croatian international and we need to stop selling our players on the cheap. Either keep him and give him time or sell him for money we cant refuse. Wes we can get maybe a few million for and Grezda we should be looking to get our money back because again he is an international player and hes not as bad as people make out.

Either sell players at a decent amount or stick with them and give them more time unless they are awful and done like Herrera!

I think you’re spot on with all of that mate bar Barisic.

I think a few appearances for Croatia is being over played in terms of its potential for value enhancement. Clubs will surely take more note of how poor he has been with us.

We can surely get a fee for Lafferty

Cant see us getting fees for Dorrans or Herrera. Even if it's not as much as we paid for him we should get something back for Lafferty, same for Grezda

I like dorrans but we've spent some money on him with no return. If you take the fee we paid for him plus the wages he's on that could get us a younger version of him. If we keep him I hope he stays injury free cause he is a quality player but we can't afford to let him sit injured another season with the wage he's on. I'm gutted for him but if he's not producing we have to let him go so we can progress the team to the quality it needs to be

A well run club?
Is it that simple?
For example, how do you guarantee the balance of keeping a player a season too much and his contract running out too early?

A well run club?
Is it that simple?
For example, how do you guarantee the balance of keeping a player a season too much and his contract running out too early?
It is yep. Some clubs are fantastic in the transfer market, some clubs aren’t.

Thats what people get paid big bucks for, to make they important decisions. To make the right one.

The obsession with paying players off at our club is bewildering. We paid Cardoso off one season after paying £1m for him & 1 season later he is linked with Benfica. Its frightening how poor we are at the old wheeling & dealing.

Those thinking we get fee for dorrans or Herrera are kidding themselves.

Dorrans will be with us next season. I think that's the right decision. No point in paying him off or giving him away for free. May prove useful.

Grezda worries me. I'm not as confident as others we get a fee here. Or atleast an acceptable fee.

Pretty sure Dorrans will be staying on till next season. Grezda could do with a loan move currently.
Hopefully we can punt Herrera for a bit of money to the Mexican league.
We MUST not sell Tav and Morelos. If we were to sell one; the other has to stay.
For me I would let Morelos go for anything between £15-22 million. Defoe has proved to be excellent and we can easily bring in another ST as a back-up to Morelos for £3-4 million.
Tav is far too valuable for us too sell. His goals and assists are paramount to how we play and to many of our good results this season.

It is yep. Some clubs are fantastic in the transfer market, some clubs aren’t.

Thats what people get paid big bucks for, to make they important decisions. To make the right one.

The obsession with paying players off at our club is bewildering. We paid Cardoso off one season after paying £1m for him & 1 season later he is linked with Benfica. Its frightening how poor we are at the old wheeling & dealing.
Would you have kept Cardoso?
Not many would have.
Would Gerrard have made the final decision, as a player, here?
Did you know or reckon Cardoso would be good enough for a Benfica?
Few would have.

As always any fee we do or don’t get will be determined by other clubs and how they view the potential risk versus reward.
Dorrans injury record and wages he’ll be on will put clubs off.
Lafferty and his lack of brains ditto.
Grezda was highly thought of pre injury but he’s been very disappointing for us since.

Barasic is the one we should hold out for decent money,people pay attention to the Croatian national team and might well take into account how overly physical our league is-Cardoso mentioned in the thread being a prime example.

Fwiw I’d be loathe to let Fod go unless the money is really good,shagger has already proved he is prone to brain farts at times.

A
Not many would have.
Few would have.
few of us on here at the time reckoned he could have a very good career in a less physical league and were berated for that very opinion to be fair mate.
Good footballer but definitely lacked the physicality for the sphell

A

few of us on here at the time reckoned he could have a very good career in a less physical league and were berated for that very opinion to be fair mate.
I might have been one of those, to be honest.
It’s not exactly a great bargaining tool though.

Reactions: cav
Not many would have.
Few would have.
I 100% would not have paid Cardoso off no, that was a ridiculous decision.

Went from highly rated young Portugese centre back to mud within a year. It was a silly move, he should of been loaned back to Portugal to build his rep again before being sold.

But nope, paid off. Madness.

My prediction

Lafferty
Dorrans (loan)
Barisic (profit fee)
Morelos
Halliday (Loan)
Grezda (Loan if not permanent)

A

Meant to edit my post for this:

There are bigger points to be considered in the pay-off discussion.
As a club, we probably pay premium to join us.
We may well need to enhance even this to get players to Scotland.
So, when it comes to moving players on, one of the problems is their salary.
Not good enough for us probably means going to a lesser club (definitely lesser of course) who probably can’t afford that salary.
Ultimately, we decide to move on.
We need to take the hit, either get pay up front or ostracise and leave in the stand, a la Bobo or Bernard.
There is a still a saving in paying off and getting rid at that is in employee costs.
Of course, some are a lot wiser than others in that they have the oh so simple answer.
How often does an under performing player become an asset?
Halliday?
How often does an under performing player leave and do better?
Adam, Fleck?
It might appear that we’ve got it wrong with Cardoso but I’d bet there are a lot of better run clubs who've written off millions by letting players go at the wrong time or keeping them too long.

Meant to edit my post for this:

There are bigger points to be considered in the pay-off discussion.
As a club, we probably pay premium to join us.
We may well need to enhance even this to get players to Scotland.
So, when it comes to moving players on, one of the problems is their salary.
Not good enough for us probably means going to a lesser club (definitely lesser of course) who probably can’t afford that salary.
Ultimately, we decide to move on.
We need to take the hit, either get pay up front or ostracise and leave in the stand, a la Bobo or Bernard.
There is a still a saving in paying off and getting rid at that is in employee costs.
Of course, some are a lot wiser than others in that they have the oh so simple answer.
How often does an under performing player become an asset?
Halliday?
How often does an under performing player leave and do better?
Adam, Fleck?
It might appear that we’ve got it wrong with Cardoso but I’d bet there are a lot of better run clubs who've written off millions by letting players go at the wrong time or keeping them too long.
You raise very good points although I do think some players are worth loaning out to the right club whether that’s with a view to them coming back if goes well or raising their profile in a league they are better suited to in order to get a fee.
Cardoso was one such case imo,and a mistake was made paying him off.
That much I’m convinced of,and said so at the time.

If we could get 5.5m for them I'd be happy rather barasic stayed though give him another season but out the lot he's worth the most

You raise very good points although I do think some players are worth loaning out to the right club whether that’s with a view to them coming back if goes well or raising their profile in a league they are better suited to in order to get a fee.
Cardoso was one such case imo,and a mistake was made paying him off.
That much I’m convinced of,and said so at the time.
Could it be that we’ve done this with Greg Docherty

Back