Players from all eras and modern kit.

Bermondsey Wall West

Official Ticketer
We have rules whereby if you look at someone and they tumble you’re toast. We have the kit that even gets rid of your sweat. Whereas back in the day you got punched %^*& out of with no ref support, wore mohair tops and boots by Doc Martin. So my question is, could the great and the good of now be launched into the past and survive better than the great and good of then being projected forward to now?

If so, who and why?

It would be too much of a culture shock for today's superstsrs to play in say the 1960's. The heavy pitches and the leeway given to the genuinely violent players of that era would be too much for the Messi's and Ronaldo's . CR7 in particular would last about 10mins in that era.
On the flip side the Best's and Law's would thrive in the modern era with the better protection from referees and the better playing surfaces but most of all the better preperation and training.

Yes, today's players are all muscle and far better trained. Stop waxing lyrical about the past. The tackling today is savage compared to decades ago.

Conditions, kit, training and, most importantly, the refs' interpretation of the laws have changed so much in the 40-odd years I've been watching football - it's almost like it's become a different sport.

The 1970s was the era of the true football hardman. Leeds had Norman 'bites yer legs' Hunter. Phrases like "Unemployment as high as Norman Hunter tackle" stick in my mind.
Think most teams had a few. Leeds United were infamous at that time for that amount of hard men they had in their team.

A few years back they got a referee to watch the 1970 FA Cup Final between Leeds and Chelsea. He reckoned there would've been around 15 red cards by the standard of the day.
Remember watching it...think it was 2 - 2 at Wembley and the pitch cut up really badly. It went to a replay at Old Trafford. Think that's the game you are referring to. For all the fouls it was a great game. Replay was live on TV. We up here dinnae get the FA Cup Final live in those days. When old enough me and some mates used to go down to Berwick to see the FA Cup Final. Unless Rangers were in the Scottish Cup Final of course.

Remember watching it...think it was 2 - 2 at Wembley and the pitch cut up really badly. It went to a replay at Old Trafford. Think that's the game you are referring to. For all the fouls it was a great game. Replay was live on TV. We up here dinnae get the FA Cup Final live in those days. When old enough me and some mates used to go down to Berwick to see the FA Cup Final. Unless Rangers were in the Scottish Cup Final of course.
I remember being sick at missing the extra time from the 1971 FA Cup as I was on the way home from Hampden. As you say we got precious little live football on TV back then.

It would be too much of a culture shock for today's superstsrs to play in say the 1960's. The heavy pitches and the leeway given to the genuinely violent players of that era would be too much for the Messi's and Ronaldo's . CR7 in particular would last about 10mins in that era.
On the flip side the Best's and Law's would thrive in the modern era with the better protection from referees and the better playing surfaces but most of all the better preperation and training.

The same could be said that the vast majority of the players in 1960 wouldn't keep up with the pace/fitness levels and the overall improvements to technical ability in the modern game.

Reactions: KL2
The same could be said that the vast majority of the players in 1960 wouldn't keep up with the pace/fitness levels and the overall improvements to technical ability in the modern game.
I disagree because if they played the game today they would have access to all the modern facilities and methods.

I'd rather pay to see the face on Bertie Auld as he gets sent off for the first bad tackle. Of course, him being a sellick player, it might not happen.

Why?

That sounds absolutely shite.
That was the reality of football in the 1960s and 1970s.

It's easy to say that the players from back then wouldn't make it in today's "trained-since-6-years-old, vegan and nutritionally balanced diet, sweat-wicking kit" era. Today professional football is Formula 1; back then it was stock car racing, but it was still a fine spectacle, even in the mud.

I just don't see CR7 thriving in it.

That was the reality of football in the 1960s and 1970s.

It's easy to say that the players from back then wouldn't make it in today's "trained-since-6-years-old, vegan and nutritionally balanced diet, sweat-wicking kit" era. Today professional football is Formula 1; back then it was stock car racing, but it was still a fine spectacle, even in the mud.

I just don't see CR7 thriving in it.
The mud on his boots would have him in tears before the kick off.

A world 11 from this decade would absolutely hammer an 11 from 60’s, 70’s, 80’s easy, no ifs or buts about it and anyone that says otherwise is deluded and full of shit.

Players now are faster, fitter and stronger. Actually that goes for any sport today.

Aaaah here we go, all the old duffers on FF going on about how the ‘players in my day’ were just so much better, real men blah blah. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing but honestly behave yourselves. Players today are better in absolutely every way imaginable.

Aaaah here we go, all the old duffers on FF going on about how the ‘players in my day’ were just so much better, real men blah blah. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing but honestly behave yourselves. Players today are better in absolutely every way imaginable.

Hmmm - well it's all about opinion, I suppose.

Can remember Tommy Docherty talking about a game in the early 50's against Uruguay in Switzerland in 90deg temperatures The Uruguay players were wearing light cotton shirts and shorts.The Scots had woollen shirts and socks and the goalie had a big woolly turtle neck jumper.He said the Team was in a state of exhaustion at the national anthems and got cuffed 7-2

A world 11 from this decade would absolutely hammer an 11 from 60’s, 70’s, 80’s easy, no ifs or buts about it and anyone that says otherwise is deluded and full of shit.

Players now are faster, fitter and stronger. Actually that goes for any sport today.
I agree with what you say. However the counter to that is what if the likes of Best, Baxter and Gascoigne had access to the support, training and facilities of today.

Would like to see McKenna heeder wan o these when it's pishing fae the heavens. (laces side of course)
Micky-Vintage-Leather-Football-1.jpg

Back