Players from Govan

Flash81

Need some help here guys,bit of an argument going on with ma auld man right now,about players that have played for us that are in the hall of fame and that where born in Govan and the surrounding area?
So far I’ve only got Davie Mckeiljohn
And Ian Durrant,ma auld man is adamant that wi Doddie and Ronnie McKinnon both came from the Govan area but I’m disagreeing.Help needed desperately lol.

Need some help here guys,bit of an argument going on with ma auld man right now,about players that have played for us that are in the hall of fame and that where born in Govan and the surrounding area?
And Ian Durrant,ma auld man is adamant that wi Doddie and Ronnie McKinnon both came from the Govan area but I’m disagreeing.Help needed desperately lol.

Is durrant from govan? I always thought he was kinning park and that was separate from govan? I could be completely wrong so apologies if I am

Is durrant from govan? I always thought he was kinning park and that was separate from govan? I could be completely wrong so apologies if I am
I’m not sure mate,I’ve always thought that kinning Park was a district within Govan,same postcode I suppose lol ‍♂️

Definition of Govan now includes Tradeston and Kinning Park. Don't know if they were part of the old burgh of Govan.

I think Jim Denny might have been a Govanite. My memory is telling me that he went to Govan High School. Andy Halliday from our current squad is from Govan.

Apologies to the op. I didn't realise it was only Hall of Famers. I don't think Jim Denny is a member. ☺

Alex Rae (the other one) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Rae_(footballer,_born_1946) Thistle captain when they spanked the tims 4-1 in 71..

Source https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/what-a-sensation/

Despite being four goals ahead, Rae was having none of it as he said: “I grew up in Brighton Street in Govan which is just off Copland Road and had been Rangers daft when I was young and my family were the same. One or two of our younger players thought the game was over and I told them that there was no-way the game was over.

Partick used to be in Govan in fact Govan wasn't incorporated into Glasgow till 1912 so there could be loads more lol

KP isn’t Govan, it was it’s on birth before being incorporated.

To be even more pedantic Durrant was from Plantation, not KP

Partick used to be in Govan in fact Govan wasn't incorporated into Glasgow till 1912 so there could be loads more lol

Partick was Partick and Govan was Govan. Both were separate towns and were incorporated into Glasgow in 1912.

There is an interesting stat that Rangers have won the most titles by a team from outside Glasgow as when we moved to Ibrox, it wasn’t part of the City and we won 6 titles before 1912 and Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have only won 4 a piece.

Ronnie McKinnon of Greenfield St Govan attended Greenfield Primary School in Nimmo Drive

Partick was Partick and Govan was Govan. Both were separate towns and were incorporated into Glasgow in 1912.

There is an interesting stat that Rangers have won the most titles by a team from outside Glasgow as when we moved to Ibrox, it wasn’t part of the City and we won 6 titles before 1912 and Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have only won 4 a piece.
part of Govan parish at one point and in Renfrewshire i only came across it doing my family tree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Partick

I am like 70% sure Ronnie McKinnon came from Mosspark, and lived on Corkerhill road across from the cementry.

Back