Players going round the keeper

Thommo2006

Kent's goal today got me thinking I cant remember the last time a player was one on one with the keeper and goes round him and puts it into the net. Just something you dont seem to see in the modern game.

Kent's goal today got me thinking I cant remember the last time a player was one on one with the keeper and goes round him and puts it into the net. Just something you dont seem to see in the modern game.

Our own game last week.

Edit** Read post correctly this time..

It’s a really difficult skill to learn - Laudrup and Gazza were probably the best I’ve seen although I thought Kent’s finish was first class today.

Wish Alfie would do this more, instead of going for the power blast every time.

I've thought this a few times. He is brilliant at rolling defenders and getting a 1v1 with the keeper, but I don't know how great his record is from there. Feels like the majority of the time it gets cannoned right into the goalie.

He has enough other ways of scoring that it's hardly a hinderence, but I've always felt it's one area that if he improved it would send him up a level again.

Laudrup v them at hampden and Amato v them are my two all time favourites.

Alfredo went round the Livi keeper a few seasons back and stuck 1 in from a tight angle.

Always something pleasing on the eye when a striker goes round keeper doesn't seem to happen as much these days

Kent didn't round the keeper today.

But on the subject, my old man always maintained the best Rangers player he ever saw going one on one on the keeper was Derek Grierson.

i actually thought kent should have :)

Kent didn't round the keeper today.

But on the subject, my old man always maintained the best Rangers player he ever saw going one on one on the keeper was Derek Grierson.

I know he didnt I just thought back to times when.players had that much time and space they would go round the keeper. Brilliant finish from him all the same though

Think morelos away v livi was last one I remember.

A certain Mr Neil McCann, Piggery League Victory, and it’s, “THREE”

Think its probably coached out of players these days.

Football seems to be all about stats and averages. The longer you take to shoot the more chance there is for somebody to get in a challenge, or something like that.

Disappointing that we don't see it more often because it was always an exciting aspect of the game.

The Brazilian Ronaldo was the best at this, watch highlights of his spell at Barcelona and the vast majority of goals are going around the keeper. Also he scored a beauty for Inter Milan v Lazio in the UEFA Cup Final, quick body swerve, round keeper and slipped into the net.
Vast majority?
Exaggerating much?

Taking the ball up to the keeper negates a big advantage the attacker has.

The one thing i wish he would mix up a bit, always going for power, you would never see him looking up and dinking it over the keeper
Like Aubameyang's goal in the FA Cup final yesterday, the keeper spread himself for the low hard shot and Aubameyang just lifted it over him. Lovely finish and one the keeper always seems to struggle with.

Back