Players Leaving 2021?

Kilsyth Unionist

With the 3 additions confirmed , the squad will need trimmed again as last summer.
My thoughts are barker, jones, stewart, edmunson and defoe should leave.
Question marks remain over middleton and barjonas.
Katic would better going on loan for a season should balogun sign a new deal.
Mcgregor and Davis offered one year contracts.

With the 3 additions confirmed , the squad will need trimmed again as last summer.
Why should Defoe leave? Out of anyone above he would be one Id be taking on as a coach to work with our strikers. He should bow out on a high. He wont get 55 anywhere else haha. Davis and Greggsy 100% will stay. The others I’m not fussed about and Katic loan idea is perfect. Cant see Barjonas or Middleton being anywhere near the quality we will need next season so loans for them is best option. Also feel a big player will leave - cos thats football.

Why should Defoe leave? Out of anyone above he would be one Id be taking on as a coach to work with our strikers. He should bow out on a high. He wont get 55 anywhere else haha. Davis and Greggsy 100% will stay. The others I’m not fussed about and Katic loan idea is perfect. Cant see Barjonas or Middleton being anywhere near the quality we will need next season so loans for them is best option. Also feel a big player will leave - cos thats football.
I am all for defoe coaching but wages and his age needs to be considered with regards to playing.
There must be a roll at the club for him imo.

Agree with the other posters, I'd keep Defoe on, even as a player/coach, he's great to have around surely.

I reckon Jones, Edmundson, Barker, Middleton could all be gone.

I'd like to see Goldson, Tav and Kamara get new deals between now and the summer window but we will probably need to sell a star player.

Morelos? Kamara? Barisic?

Also depends what happens with the Euros, as I fancied that to raise the likes of Kamara and Barisic' stock.

Im hoping big Connor signs a new deal at the end of the season. If not i fear he will be off. Need him tied down for a couple more years as hes been excellent.

Goldsons one of a few others i wouldnt like to see leave but i guess we need to sell if the right offers come in.

We get further in the EL and a few of our players may be subject to bids come the summer.

Im hoping big Connor signs a new deal at the end of the season. If not i fear he will be off. Need him tied down for a couple more years as hes been excellent.

Goldsons one of a few others i wouldnt like to see leave but i guess we need to sell if the right offers come in.

We get further in the EL and a few of our players may be subject to bids come the summer.
Much do you think we could get for Goldson going into his last year? I was thinking 10/11 million but Frimpong deal if remotely true makes me think we should be looking for a good bit more

I reckon Defoe will move onto the coaching staff

Much do you think we could get for Goldson going into his last year? I was thinking 10/11 million but Frimpong deal if remotely true makes me think we should be looking for a good bit more
Good question mate. Iv actually no idea lol.

Id be thinking same as you though, Connors pretty much the finished article as well and his form has been excellent so surely he should command £10m+?

The money they get for some of their players is fucking ridiculous. We should be using that to ask for more though, imo.

Do we need anymore coaches or are we giving Defoe a job as one because we like him?

Defoe has the attributes to be an excellent coach, multiple players have mentioned how much he has helped them since he joined. I get the feeling he may go on to be a manager.

Interesting to see what happens with him, he may want to go somewhere to keep playing more regularly

Tav is in the same boat as well. If Tav and Goldson don't sign new deals this Summer then we will need to cash in on both of them.

It all depends whether they feel their time is up here after winning the title with us. It will come down to CL (with us) v the lure of the EPL for them. They are also approaching the age that it will be their last big contracts, so it's a big decision for both of them.

We’re all riding a crest of rising euphoria at the moment and being in the CL next season is going to be a big attraction for all of our players, but we shouldn’t forget that we are still significantly in debt.

So it’s all very well talking about peripheral squad players like Barker, Stewart and Jones leaving, but even with the allure of the CL I wouldn’t be surprised to see either or both of Alfie or Barisic depart.

Tav is in the same boat as well. If Tav and Goldson don't sign new deals this Summer then we will need to cash in on both of them.

It all depends whether they feel their time is up here after winning the title with us. It will come down to CL (with us) v the lure of the EPL for them. They are also approaching the age that it will be their last big contracts, so it's a big decision for both of them.
Aye, my hope is they want a crack at the CL. Surely players at this point in their career follow that, rather than the money?

Could always get one more big pay packet move the season after that.

Why would we release Defoe? One of the best players of his generation - and an example to every player in the squad. A gentleman. A true footballing icon.

Will the need to sell be offset by qualifying for champions league? Whos gonna want to leave after winning (1 game at a time) the league and playing in CL? I'm talking big sales, not yer squad players.

Players I think will leave.

Barker
Jones
Stewart
Edmundson (loan or sold with a high sell on)
Katic (loan, we won't get a good fee after a year long injury)
Robbie McCrorie (loan or sold with a high sell on)
Defoe (transitioning into a coach or massively reduced terms wages as a player)
Zungu (returning to his parent club)

If they don't sign new deals, they will need to be sold.

Tavernier (12 months left)
Goldson (12 months left)

It should be noted that we have a load of players going into their last 2 years in the summer. If they don't want to sign new deals, we may need to move them on. We don't want a Celtic situation where we lose a load of our main players for a fraction of the fee.

Kent
Kamara
Morelos
Aribo

Jack and Helander will have 2 years left in the summer but neither have massive sell on value like the other 4.

I think if we can qualify for the champions League then we probably don't need to sell one of the big assets. The income from that will more than make up for the shortfall from Covid given we have the business interruption insurance as well

I can see Connor wanting a crack at the epl and probably has limited time for a move. An offer from a midrange team could have him on the move. With just a year on his contract, rangers would be tempted to sell

I wouldn’t feel comfortable losing Tav and Borna in the same window

Stewart will go since he's out of contract then I think Davis and Mcgregor are as well? If we win the league then can see Mcgregor retiring and for me I would be keeping Davis around as he's still controlling games for us now and the legs are still there.

Think Katic will be loaned out to get game time as we have better options available to us and then Edmundson will be sold/loaned somewhere. If any of our players that are called upto the euros do well then we might have some offers to consider likes of Kamara and Borna.

Tav and Goldson as well with their contract situations if they don't sign new deals then we will have to move them on.

Could be a big rebuilding job again in the summer.

Barker
Jones
Stewart

Goldson (12 months left)

It should be noted that we have a load of players going into their last 2 years in the summer. If they don't want to sign new deals, we may need to move them on. We don't want a Celtic situation where we lose a load of our main players for a fraction of the fee.

Kent
Kamara
Morelos
Aribo

Jack and Helander will have 2 years left in the summer but neither have massive sell on value like the other 4.
Jack will get a new deal. He will be here until close to retirement I think

I’d go as far as saying Defoe is an unofficial player/coach already. The way the strikers come to celebrate with him when they score and the happiness he shows tells me he’s more than just a rival to their position in the starting XI.

No doubt Gerrard wanted him here to help guide our young strikers. I guess he will be happy to both play and also get his foot on the coaching ladder simultaneously.

Barker
Jones
Stewart

Goldson (12 months left)

Kent
Kamara
Morelos
Aribo

think tav is lower down on the needs to be sold as he cost 200k

even with goldson I’d say if kept this seasons form into next I wouldn’t be worried if he left for free - I want to avoid that though

Goldson I agree. Tav owes us nothing he cost 250k I would be comfortable with him staying the season mentor Paterson and then leave on a Bosman to get himself a large signing on fee down south.

Dont want Defoe as a player next season, he is barley getting a game as it is, but would keeping him as a striking coach.

Jones, Edmundson, Hastie and Stewart all need to go and its now or never for Banjores and Middleton.

Why would we release Defoe? One of the best players of his generation - and an example to every player in the squad. A gentleman. A true footballing icon.
On the playing front we need to move on and bring in players or use the academy.
By season 22/23 theres every chance davis, defoe and mcgregor will not be playing.
The last thing i want is mistakes then the fans getting on their backs and blaming their ages.

Katic shouldn’t be leaving. He’s a big player and see him being part of our defence.
I wouldnt want him to leave either but if we have 3 good centre halfs , his time will be limited till one leaves.
He will need first team football hence a loan.
He lacked concentration before and coming off a bench or one game in 6 wont cut it.

Can see Borna getting sold if a decent offer comes in

Much as I like and admire JD , if we need an exemplary role model to move into coaching and retain them as a player also wouldn’t Steve Davis fit that role just as well ?

I mentioned this in a previous thread but one of our issues in the past has been a large squad turnover , which has led to inconsistent performances etc.

I dont see us finally being successful and getting into CL and making massive squad changes with 10+ changes.

Some squad players will likely leave, likes of Jones, Stewart, Edmondson but I think we will get Tav and Goldson signed on new deals.

We will maybe sell 1 or 2 of our bigger assets but that's it. Keeping the core of the team is essential if we are to get 56 and have a good run in CL.

Do we need anymore coaches or are we giving Defoe a job as one because we like him?
Neither?
It's been reported he wants to move into coaching and also that he is a great influence and big help to the rest of the squad.

At some point a coach will move on, I can't see the harm in helping Defoe through his badges and offering him a role and salary if a position is or becomes available.

The main players who I think could have a high chance of leaving are:

McGregor, Davis and Defoe (potentially retire)

Tav & Goldson (entering the final year of their contracts and no extension signed yet)

Barisic & Kamara (being closely watched and could be even more highly sought after during/after the euros)

Morelos (he’s never hidden the fact that he wants to move on)

I don’t think we are at risk of losing any of our other main players, unless we actively want to move them on.

Goldson I agree. Tav owes us nothing he cost 250k I would be comfortable with him staying the season mentor Paterson and then leave on a Bosman to get himself a large signing on fee down south.
Tav has probably had well over 5,000,000 out of the club.
We should, as a club to be looking to make a profit on him if we feel we can replace him.

I'm not saying he hasn't deserved every penny.
But I don't see why we should look to turn down good money because he was cheap.

For every Tav and Alfie there was a Grezda and Peña.

Tav & Goldson (entering the final year of their contracts and no extension signed yet)
I wouldn't be surprised if there was no news until August.

They may be waiting to see about Champions League football before asking for a 2 year extension on CL wages of 10k more than at present.

They could be happy waiting that out and Rangers as a board and management team may also be happy at such a situation.

No CL might see the club want to cash in and those 2 want a crack at the EPL.

At the same time everyone's preference may well be CL football and an extension on an enhanced wage.

Back