Players Leaving 2021?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no news until August.

They may be waiting to see about Champions League football before asking for a 2 year extension on CL wages of 10k more than at present.

They could be happy waiting that out and Rangers as a board and management team may also be happy at such a situation.

No CL might see the club want to cash in and those 2 want a crack at the EPL.

At the same time everyone's preference may well be CL football and an extension on an enhanced wage.

It’s a dangerous tactic mate and not something the club seem to be a habit of doing. We normally do our business early, and I think that means that if Tav and Goldson haven’t committed before the ending the season - we’ll be trying everything we can to move them on and bring in their replacements before the first day of pre-season.

I don’t think champions league comes into the thoughts of the club when offering contract renewals (at very most it will be minimal).
It will 100% be in the thoughts of players though in terms of negotiating a wage or deciding whether to stay or leave.

It’s a dangerous tactic mate and not something the club seem to be a habit of doing. We normally do our business early, and I think that means that if Tav and Goldson haven’t committed before the ending the season - we’ll be trying everything we can to move them on and bring in their replacements before the first day of pre-season.

I don’t think champions league comes into the thoughts of the club when offering contract renewals (at very most it will be minimal).
It will 100% be in the thoughts of players though in terms of negotiating a wage or deciding whether to stay or leave.
Time will tell.
No one seems particulary bothered, I think this is likely why, you're entitled to think it's probably well wide of the mark as it probably is.
B-D

It depends on quite a lot of factors.

1) Will we qualify for the Champions League? Maybe the likes of Morelos and one or two others might be tempted to stay on if we qualify, if they were intending to leave. Not many players will leave us and go to a Champions League team, more likely to a mid table team in a bigger league. Similarly, would we still need to sell if we reach the Champions League?

2) What sort of bids we get. The financial landscape has changed quite a bit, and will continue to do so for another year at least.

3) Some players may be homesick or missing their families, after being stuck in the bubble for a year. Not all the players will have their families staying with them, or perhaps even in the same country, and I would not hold a grudge if any player wanted to leave to be closer to their families after the year we have just had.

I think we all know the squad players likely heading out, but no-one really knows about the others at the moment.

To be honest I have some concerns this summer. I think Morelos and Kamara will be bigger money targets for clubs down south or on the continent.

I do worry as well though that we have several players like Tav, Goldson, Roofe and Barisic who are hitting the kind of 28-30 age when they are probably looking at their last big contract and when the league is secure they may fancy a pay day in the EPL. The English lads especially would probably like to play in the EPL just hope they want to hang around for a shot at the Champions League with us

Our model has to be selling players at their peak price and bringing on new talent and repeating so for that reason I think we will see a big player or 2 leave for decent cash, I'll guess Kamara and Alfie and possibly Tav, I can see Goldson taking over as captain and staying

We’re all riding a crest of rising euphoria at the moment and being in the CL next season is going to be a big attraction for all of our players, but we shouldn’t forget that we are still significantly in debt.

So it’s all very well talking about peripheral squad players like Barker, Stewart and Jones leaving, but even with the allure of the CL I wouldn’t be surprised to see either or both of Alfie or Barisic depart.
Agreed. We need £25m to balance books and give SG some kitty. Borna took a year to settle. I can see him staying As I think he loves it here now. If Kamara has a good euros I think he will be the big money sale and Alfie as I think he and us need to move on.

Aye, my hope is they want a crack at the CL. Surely players at this point in their career follow that, rather than the money?

Could always get one more big pay packet move the season after that.
It’s not as if these boys are on peanuts. If they have invested wisely over their careers money should not be an issue! I think Tav, Goldson , Jack, Arfield are here to stay and pick up some medals. Maybe even Borna.

Much as I like and admire JD , if we need an exemplary role model to move into coaching and retain them as a player also wouldn’t Steve Davis fit that role just as well ?
Gough - Defensive coach
Davis/ Gerrard/ McAllister -Midfield coach
Defoe - Strikers coach!
Beale, Culshaw General tactical coaches.
Dream Team!

I can see us cashing in on a few this summer as they'll be at peak in terms of value to us.

Borna, Kamara and Alfie I expect to go. Pocket 30-40m and reinvest in a younger model for each position... While all 3 are top players in our team all 3 are very replaceable also.

On top of that if Goldson and Tav dont sign new deals then they are at there peak in value also.... Could be a big summer ahead. Especially if we get a good run in europa and drum up even more interest.

I could see the club trying to move on anyone who isn’t signing a contract extension. However, regardless of contacts, both Morelos and Kamara will likely be sold for profit. Both of those highlighted players have probably reached their peak development for us - I’m not sure how much more we could get out them playing in this league.

Time will tell.
No one seems particulary bothered, I think this is likely why, you're entitled to think it's probably well wide of the mark as it probably is.
B-D

There’s no “bother” or “hysteria” at our club now. We ooze professionalism.

We’ll already know Goldson/Tav’s intentions. The paperwork will already be getting drawn up, or we’ll be discussing with other clubs about their availability in the summer.

Eitherway, everything seems to get done quietly these days - which is pleasing.

FWIW, I think both will stay and sign new deals.

Agreed. We need £25m to balance books and give SG some kitty. Borna took a year to settle. I can see him staying As I think he loves it here now. If Kamara has a good euros I think he will be the big money sale and Alfie as I think he and us need to move on.
I’d like to think we’re a competent enough entity nowadays that we don’t necessarily have to sell any of our top players at this stage, i.e. between the board, shareholders and bank we’re good for the loss at the moment, especially with the potential of CL revenue next season, but at the same time we can’t carry on indefinitely.

Alfie looks the most likely candidate to leave, but then we’ve been saying that for the past couple of years and he’s still here.

With CL football a possibility he may see that staying to put himself in the biggest shop window of all is more beneficial than leaving to a club without the same platform.

The same could also be said of Barisic and Kamara.

Personally I think at least one of them probably should be sold this summer if our business model is to ever start working.

Regarding Tav and Goldson, there's a couple of scenarios I can see playing out.

The first, and least likely in my opinion, is that they refuse to sign a new deal and if that's the case, we will have to sell them for whatever we can get. Having only 12 months remaining on their contract might mean we don't get top dollar.

The second is that they commit to the club for the next few years. I'd be delighted if they did to be honest. Not every player has to be a sellable asset. There's a lot to be said for continuity and having quality, experienced players is vital to continued success.

A third option is they sign 1 year extensions. We keep them for the champions league and we sell them next summer and thank them for their services.

Back