Players that are “winners”

• Thread starter Deleted by own request member
  • Start date
D

Deleted by own request member

There’s a lot of talk about our squad mentality and not having enough players that are “winners” in the team.

What is people’s interpretation of a winner. I can’t see us buying players from the top league champions, World Cup winners or anyone that’s lifted the champions league lately so what is it people are asking for? Is someone that has won a challenge cup or a second division title the “winner” that we need?

I reckon some people’s expectations are to high considering where we have just come from

People who can handle pressure. We seem to fold when teams come on to us. We seem to give away the lead in games that are notoriously hard for us yet we are expected to win (Kille, Aberdeen, Hearts). We seem to let refereeing decisions affect us on the park. We miss a hell of a lot of penalties this season (to me anyway!).

Players who go to Kilmarnock and Aberdeen and will give 100% as if they are in a cup final. To many switch off for me.

Games we are not expected to win we seem to turn up more (In Europe eg)

Also not 100% on the players some of the above, the (lack of) tactical changes or subs by management team also have an effect. But not being ITK its impossible to know so its just supporter opinion and is probably complete bollocks like 99% of opinion on here. But it would be boring if we didnt have somewhere to vent :)

And this is why having players who have won nothing themselves, or done anything of note against a dominant Celtic team, is an odd signing policy.

We have players from Dundee, Hearts, Hamilton, Hibs, Kilmarnock. Why are we filling the team with guys with limited success in this country?

what players have Celtic signed that had won anything previously?

Ask Gerrard, he mentioned it in midweek and not for the first time.

You can't compare a challenge cup win or second tier title to a major honour ie: a Premier League title.

Winners and a strong winning mentality are players who get the job done, who don't buckle under pressure and find the ability to raise their game when required and see out sticky patches. They don't let a set back affect them. Ours do.

Our players have crumbled just like last season. Any sort of pressure and we've seen a negative result.

The Kilmarnock manager said he noticed a nervousness and sense of panic within our play in midweek. He won't have been the first to notice it.

Don't have a clue, but most of that team have won something, if not multiple trophies. Davis and McGregor are the only ones in our team, and their combined age must be about 70.

At Celtic but what had any of them won before going to them?

somebody who can chop and get away with it, oh wait that only happens in a Celtic shirt

Brown isn't a "winner" for anyone who might mention him, he gets away with everything in this country because refs are scared of him. He's a below average footballer who won the lottery the day we got done in 2012

At Celtic but what had any of them won before going to them?

I'm not sure that matters as much when they're being complemented by others who have that experience.

Today in Celtic's game Taylor played next to Brown who played next to McGregor.

Brown was a good SPL player before he moved to Celtic, McGregor is a youth team player with plenty of experience and while Taylor has neither he's guided by others playing alongside him.

There’s a lot of talk about our squad mentality and not having enough players that are “winners” in the team.

What is people’s interpretation of a winner. I can’t see us buying players from the top league champions, World Cup winners or anyone that’s lifted the champions league lately so what is it people are asking for? Is someone that has won a challenge cup or a second division title the “winner” that we need?

I reckon some people’s expectations are to high considering where we have just come from
Players who know how it feels to win a trophy. Only about 5 of our current squad have ever won anything

No player will have a 100% success rate. If we are comparing ourselves to Celtic where were their “winners” when we beat them at their own dump, when they got beat off cluj or they were beaten at Livingston?
Are Man City a team of no winners?

the same people shouting about signing winners are the ones that want to sign cosgrove and dykes. Absolutely baffles me.

Go back to the Walter Smith days in Europe after 1993. Smashed by dortmund, Juve and some lesser known teams as well. Think of the players we had then are they “winners” they certainly weren’t when it came to Europe.

Kirk broadfoot got to a uefa cup final, is he a winner? Was he better than Goldson or katic?

I think people just put the boot into the squad when they feel like it and spout all sorts of nonsense. We are a young team with most players still to reach their prime, regarded at around 28-30 years old. We’ll be inconsistent but we don’t need an overhaul or massive change. Some of the passing moves these players pulled off in Europe and against Celtic were a joy to watch. They are capable and will find consistency

winners are someone who hates to get beat. It is not someone who plays for the best teams that win trophies.

After a loss a manager can look at the dressing room, look at his players and find who is hurting and who is not.

winners are someone who hates to get beat. It is not someone who plays for the best teams that win trophies.

After a loss a manager can look at the dressing room, look at his players and find who is hurting and who is not.

like Ryan Jack who was devastated after the cup final yet people wanted to slate him for it?

like Ryan Jack who was devastated after the cup final yet people wanted to slate him for it?

exactly...

those that go of laughing after a defeat might be called good sportsman but winners can still shake hands but its hurting them.

Exactly. And that experience doesn’t have to come from the UK leagues.

like who? Where do we get the money to buy players from other leagues that are winning trophies?

Klopp talks about small things that help build and breed a winning mentality. Getting first to a ball, blocking a shot, motivation to get to a loose ball a fraction of a second ahead of your opponent, to do enough to shrug off a defender/or attacker running though on goal.

It's no surprise he celebrates all of the above and let's his players know about it.

The though ball that Goldson loses to Brophy on midweek. I bet a Liverpool centre backs wins that, I bet Richard Gough would have won that back in his day. That's not slating Goldson but he was second best in a moment where he should have come out on top.

A never say die attitude helps. We concede an equaliser and the heads go down, we look vulnerable and ask questions of where the winner is going to come from.

like who? Where do we get the money to buy players from other leagues that are winning trophies?

winners are sportsman that wont accept defeat or struggle to be defeated. They want to win all the time. You get winners in all leagues. Those that will do their upmost to make sure their team wins.

If they lose they take it on board. Thats why it is referred to as a winning mentality.

For instance, considine tracking ayer today. 1 wanted to win, the other went through the motions. Sorry to use them as an example.

Players who demand the best, not afraid to show their frustration and anger at fellow players.

Players who's heads are up when the chips are down.

We need a c>nt or two, who our players are a bit scared off.

Someone like Helander as an example. A Swedish international who's played in a top league with a decent team not old where its his last club but not young enough where he's going to be error prone. He's maybe not a prick but he's established in a top league and Internationally it's positive around the players.

I like Aribo but does anyone believe he'll be up for a battle or is there anyone in our team that'll make him sh^t himself to deliver at all times?

who was the last player that had won medals of any sort that people on follow follow were asking for us to sign?

Simple, those who want the ball and don’t hide when things aren’t going their way. Those who will run that extra half yard to block a shot or take a dive at one in the six yard box when it’s 80/20 they aren’t going to connect.

But more than anything, the players who show their quality in big games, in games where it’s not going their way. A function of quality and desire

Was about to post exactly this.

You don't need to have won trophies and titles to have a winning mentality. A winning mentality is really just someone who hurts like hell when they lose, and so will do everything in their power to win, to avoid that feeling.

Its a competitive streak in some people that others just don't have or understand.

And Stevie G I think is starting to see that too many of ours aren't hurting enough after defeats.

winners are sportsman that wont accept defeat or struggle to be defeated. They want to win all the time. You get winners in all leagues. Those that will do their upmost to make sure their team wins.

i believe if I go on the pitch at Ibrox I will do my upmost to make sure the team wins. Doesn’t actually mean we will win the match

Players with big balls who will go out and demand victory and fight tooth and nail to make it happen, instead of doing nothing with the ball and then greeting after the match that they "don't know what happened".

Graeme Souness, Richard Gough, Mark Hateley and Barry Ferguson were all winners.

Exactly. And that experience doesn’t have to come from the UK leagues.
I might be wrong but I believe these are the only players who’ve won:
McGregor - various with Rangers
Davis - various with Rangers
Barisic - Croatian first division x 1
Ryan Jack - League cup x 1
Helander - Swedish champion x 2
Defoe - English league cup x 1

Was about to post exactly this.

You don't need to have won trophies and titles to have a winning mentality. A winning mentality is really just someone who hurts like hell when they lose, and so will do everything in their power to win, to avoid that feeling.

Its a competitive streak in some people that others just don't have or understand.

And Stevie G I think is starting to see that too many of ours aren't hurting enough after defeats.

im honestly amazed others thought any different. Like it goes by how many medals u have lol

i have been told some pro footballers with a great winning mentality would want to win dominoes if they played that and be upset if they lose. It something some have but many dont

what players have Celtic signed that had won anything previously?
Brown, there goalkeeper for a start they have players that have constantly won trophies.. we have a captain bwcause he missed a few penalties gave up n bottled it to take one in a cup final.. he came from wigan we have a brighton 2nd choice centre half... brought in a striker from hibs whoos goal scoring record is woeful ..

I remember terry butcher nearly taking the door of the hinges after a defeat to the poets at parkhead... i remember richard gough bubbling like a baby after we won 9 in a row i remember mcoist physically exhausted n near to tears after beating aberdeen for 9 n a row .i dont want a captain who rolls out the same shite on Instagram week after week... i want players that actually care for the institution that is RANGERS FC.. NOT GUYS WHO SEE US AS A STEPPING STONE..

John brown was the epitome of a winner

was he a 50M player from the big leagues?

our 92-93 team had many winners, gave their all. Not all were great players (as in could play for europes best) but winners that never wanted to be defeated.

Winning mentality does not refer to trophies. It's guys who can face their own 50/50 battle every game regardless of crowd, weather, pressure, or 'name' of direct opposition. Self motivation, inner calm, and a maturity.

That's it. So many skew the debate by saying "We can't sign Champions League winners" but that's not what it means at all.

Are players like Greg Taylor (kilmarnock) or Frimpong (man city youth) "winners" or are they lucky to be joining a team with a strong mentality?

Brown never won anything before going to Celtic and Gerrard took Tav off the penalties, I’ll say it again, people just look for any excuse to have a go at the players

The players were winners today. Hats off to them getting a result in weather like that. I walked to the wee rangers club after the game and felt like phoning the mrs (no pics) to come and pick me up as I was freezing and soaked and I only stay another 10 min walk from there. I’ve hardly seen any praise for them.

I remember terry butcher nearly taking the door of the hinges after a defeat to the poets at parkhead... i remember richard gough bubbling like a baby after we won 9 in a row i remember mcoist physically exhausted n near to tears after beating aberdeen for 9 n a row .i dont want a captain who rolls out the same shite on Instagram week after week... i want players that actually care for the institution that is RANGERS FC.. NOT GUYS WHO SEE US AS A STEPPING STONE..

best post on this topic

Winning mentality does not refer to trophies. It's guys who can face their own 50/50 battle every game regardless of crowd, weather, pressure, or 'name' of direct opposition. Self motivation, inner calm, and a maturity.

That's it. So many skew the debate by saying "We can't sign Champions League winners" but that's not what it means at all.

no one will win their 50/50’s every game

True, on their day this team has shown that they can all win their 50/50 battle with their opponent. The win on the 29th is the perfect example. However, I wonder what happens to these individuals once errors happen elsewhere in the team. Is there only so much individuals can do before they are brought into the collective nervousness of the team?

Made up guff you read in the papers, that's what it is.

Rangers: Alexander, Whittaker, Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Davis, Mendes, Edu, Lafferty (McCulloch 82), Boyd (Novo 66), Miller (Ferguson 72).
Subs Not Used: McGregor, Naismith, Fleck, Wilson.

That's the team from Tannadice that won the first league title of Walter's 2nd spell. As far as I'm aware, only Ferguson and Novo had ever won a league title before.

Last edited:
We have too many "nice" guys in the squad/starting eleven.

I include our captain and vice-captain in that, both of whom are weak as piss at times.

I might be wrong but I believe these are the only players who’ve won:
McGregor - various with Rangers
Davis - various with Rangers
Barisic - Croatian first division x 1
Ryan Jack - League cup x 1
Helander - Swedish champion x 2
Defoe - English league cup x 1
Before all these players won these trophies do you think they were questioned whether they were "winners"? At some point in their careers they would have won nothing. Therefore it is silly to write off the current bunch because of the same.

No player will have a 100% success rate. If we are comparing ourselves to Celtic where were their “winners” when we beat them at their own dump, when they got beat off cluj or they were beaten at Livingston?

No where to be seen on those days mate. But they then turned up and went on a run of result after result. Scoring lots of goals.. Like winners do.

We seem to hit bad spells that last for months. When they have a bad spell it lasts for a few games then they get stuck in and make things happen consistently. I hate them but they are relentless right now.

Those days are in the past. No player with real quality will see Rangers (or Celtic) as anything other than a stepping stone to the EPL. When was the last time we had a top player stay with us for the best part of their career?

Back