Players that are “winners”

• Thread starter Deleted by own request member
  • Start date
No where to be seen on those days mate. But they then turned up and went on a run of result after result. Scoring lots of goals.. Like winners do.

We seem to hit bad spells that last for months. When they have a bad spell it lasts for a few games then they get stuck in and make things happen consistently. I hate them but they are relentless right now.

I have faith the players will go on a winning run again

I would love a terry butcher or a richard gough in our team.
So would Bournemouth or Norwich. Both of them have much more chance of getting one than us. Same could be said for every other EPL team and half of the Championship. And if we did have one, he would be gone very very quickly.

So, to simplify. Winners aren't CL winners. That's ludicrous. It's guys who hate to lose, self motivate, don't need their ducks lined up to perform, and enjoy pressure.

That's very very possible with our scouting team and Ross Wilson.

Those days are in the past. No player with real quality will see Rangers (or Celtic) as anything other than a stepping stone to the EPL. When was the last time we had a top player stay with us for the best part of their career?

there has been players who have out grown their clubs. But ones that want more money every season when contracts are not long signed are taking the piss. Alfie needs to buckle down and honour his contract. At this rate he wont be going nowhere next season as we have a figure to be reached and potential suitors would be looking at temperament off and on the park also.

And this is why having players who have won nothing themselves, or done anything of note against a dominant Celtic team, is an odd signing policy.

We have players from Dundee, Hearts, Hamilton, Hibs, Kilmarnock. Why are we filling the team with guys with limited success in this country?

Winners or Captains IMO.

Days gone by every player in our team was pretty much captain material but now! We are lucky if 3 or 4 are captain material.

Before all these players won these trophies do you think they were questioned whether they were "winners"? At some point in their careers they would have won nothing. Therefore it is silly to write off the current bunch because of the same.
I’m not saying write them off. I was surprised Arfield didn’t have any bevause I’d say he’s a “winner”

Those days are in the past. No player with real quality will see Rangers (or Celtic) as anything other than a stepping stone to the EPL. When was the last time we had a top player stay with us for the best part of their career?
Ryan Jack will

I remember terry butcher nearly taking the door of the hinges after a defeat to the poets at parkhead... i remember richard gough bubbling like a baby after we won 9 in a row i remember mcoist physically exhausted n near to tears after beating aberdeen for 9 n a row .i dont want a captain who rolls out the same shite on Instagram week after week... i want players that actually care for the institution that is RANGERS FC.. NOT GUYS WHO SEE US AS A STEPPING STONE..
You don’t get player who want to play in Scotland for the rest of their career ffs. There is some exceptions obviously like Brown for the mentally challengeds

Players that don’t shrink and pass the buck when the going gets tough. Players who can hold their nerve when the going gets tough. We have very few of those unfortunately.

As @ClockworkOrange said up the thread, they sign players and surround them with winners and then turn the players they’ve brought in into winners

It’s a cycle. Just like losing is a cycle that we need to break desperately
Yep. We need to keep our good players and we need to try and keeping push on. Imagine we won the cup final that we should have, lost out only to an offside goal. The current crop would be called winners, eh?
I’m not saying write them off. I was surprised Arfield didn’t have any bevause I’d say he’s a “winner”
My post wasnt really aimed at you mate. Just saying in general terms

I remember terry butcher nearly taking the door of the hinges after a defeat to the poets at parkhead... i remember richard gough bubbling like a baby after we won 9 in a row i remember mcoist physically exhausted n near to tears after beating aberdeen for 9 n a row .i dont want a captain who rolls out the same shite on Instagram week after week... i want players that actually care for the institution that is RANGERS FC.. NOT GUYS WHO SEE US AS A STEPPING STONE..
I’d like to agree here but it’s a wee bit impractical.
We wouldn’t have got Gio or Arteta for example and we might not have got Morelos.
That said, our strategy going forward needs that type of player to fund the next guys who want to use us as a stepping stone.

Made up guff you read in the papers, that's what it is.

Rangers: Alexander, Whittaker, Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Davis, Mendes, Edu, Lafferty (McCulloch 82), Boyd (Novo 66), Miller (Ferguson 72).
Subs Not Used: McGregor, Naismith, Fleck, Wilson.

That's the team from Tannadice that won the first league title of Walter's 2nd spell. As far as I'm aware, only Ferguson and Novo had ever won a league title before.

I'm not sure "winners" are always actually winners, though.

For all that Gerrard was a world class midfielder, his honours list is pretty small for a guy who played football for nearly twenty years. He never won the league and two trophies in ten years. I'm argue that is still a winner, though.

As I would for several in that team. Papac won a league with Vienna. Whittaker was part of an excellent Hibs team.Weir won the cup with Hearts and was part of the Everton defence for years. Mendes was a Champions' League winner, winning the lot with Mourinho. Boyd was top-scorer for Killie, FFS. Miller was an incredible signing and arguably our best player of the late noughties and early tens.

That's a team that complements a mixture of hardened veterans, promising youth players and those who'd achieved success with other SPFL clubs. It's the reason we won three league titles in a row.

I would love a terry butcher or a richard gough in our team.

Absolutely. The type of player who hated losing a training session never mind an actual game. They inspire everyone just by their attitude. You don't want to let them down and will go through a brick wall for them.

We are not going to be able to bring in that overall level of player but if we can just get a couple of players with the right mentality and experience it could make a big difference.

Celtic are used to winning. They know how to do it.

We don’t necessarily need a team of winners but it’s evident from Gerrard’s comments that he doesn’t trust the mentality of this squad.

I don’t think guys like Tav, Goldson, Aribo, Arfield, Kamara, Jack, Barisic etc truly have the know how or the blood and thunder required for this league. Not as leaders anyway. However, you add a couple more Allan McGregors to this squad and they could drag those guys up.

I'm not sure "winners" are always actually winners, though.

For all that Gerrard was a world class midfielder, his honours list is pretty small for a guy who played football for nearly twenty years. He never won the league and two trophies in ten years. I'm argue that is still a winner, though.

As I would for several in that team. Papac won a league with Vienna. Whittaker was part of an excellent Hibs team.Weir won the cup with Hearts and was part of the Everton defence for years. Mendes was a Champions' League winner, winning the lot with Mourinho. Boyd was top-scorer for Killie, FFS. Miller was an incredible signing and arguably our best player of the late noughties and early tens.

That's a team that complements a mixture of hardened veterans, promising youth players and those who'd achieved success with other SPFL clubs. It's the reason we won three league titles in a row.

Wow wait a minute, “an excellent hibs team” your no getting away way that rubbish haha. What did they win?

But if the opponent knows that they are going in 100% committed to winning the ball it puts a doubt in their mind. Some of our players don't have that commitment and the opposition know it.

I don’t agree with that. I don’t think any players aren’t 100% committed. Some might not have the ability but I wouldn’t question their commitment

I can’t recall any excellent hibs sides. I remember we stuck 7 past them once

Excellent might be too effusive but Hibs finished third in 2005, twice pumped us 3-0 at Ibrox in 2006 and reached and won a cup for the first time in 16 years in 2007. Of more importance, though, was the quality of player that they were bringing through, most of whom would go onto have success (or at very least, be signed for) at Rangers and Celtic: Murray, Thomson, Whittaker, Brown, O'Connor, Riordan, Fletcher, Caldwell, Bamba. It's worth bearing in mind that we signed Murray, Thomson and Whittaker and tried to sign Brown and Riordan.

This group of players really need to get a trophy under their belts and go from there. We don’t have the money to sign top calibre players, but I do wonder if we need to sign a couple more leaders who are going to start every week,

Excellent might be too effusive but Hibs finished third in 2005, twice pumped us 3-0 at Ibrox in 2006 and reached and won a cup for the first time in 16 years in 2007. Of more importance, though, was the quality of player that they were bringing through, most of whom would go onto have success (or at very least, be signed for) at Rangers and Celtic: Murray, Thomson, Whittaker, Brown, O'Connor, Riordan, Fletcher, Caldwell, Bamba. It's worth bearing in mind that we signed Murray, Thomson and Whittaker and tried to sign Brown and Riordan.

But Aribo, Kamara, morelos, hagi, Kent, katic, Goldson are all young enough to emulate or surpass their success.

But Aribo, Kamara, morelos, hagi, Kent, katic, Goldson are all young enough to emulate or surpass their success.

Anyone is young enough to become a better player, but that's not the point if you're talking about winners.

The vast majority of this Rangers team are made up of players who would, irrespective of what criteria you bestow upon the idea of a "winner", lack the characteristics that you'd normally associate with the role.

Taking a leaf out of Warburton's book, Aribo was signed from a League One club; Kamara from a team that got relegated at the end of the season; Morelos took a while to hit his best form but has been a great signing; Hagi is still an unknown quantity; Kent wasn't good enough for Liverpool and has had a string of loan spells; Katic from a Croatian team who'd done nothing of note; Goldson's last consistent season for another club was in 2015/16!

When we signed Whittaker and Thomson we were signing good young Scottish players who'd achieved some sense of success in the league to play alongside others who were vastly more experienced, successful and skilful. There was a reason that Smith's first signings upon his return were Weir and Ehiogu - both vastly experienced EPL players with limited to no experience of football up here - and Thomson and Webster. Webster doesn't make the grade and Ehiogu isn't as good as Weir and Cuellar, but Thomson and Weir were magnificent signings that played alongside the rest of the team brilliantly.

The current Rangers team, on the other hand, lacks that on just about every part of the pitch.

Anyone is young enough to become a better player, but that's not the point if you're talking about winners.

The vast majority of this Rangers team are made up of players who would, irrespective of what criteria you bestow upon the idea of a "winner", lack the characteristics that you'd normally associate with the role.

Taking a leaf out of Warburton's book, Aribo was signed from a League One club; Kamara from a team that got relegated at the end of the season; Morelos took a while to hit his best form but has been a great signing; Hagi is still an unknown quantity; Kent wasn't good enough for Liverpool and has had a string of loan spells; Katic from a Croatian team who'd done nothing of note; Goldson's last consistent season for another club was in 2015/16!

When we signed Whittaker and Thomson we were signing good young Scottish players who'd achieved some sense of success in the league to play alongside others who were vastly more experienced, successful and skilful. There was a reason that Smith's first signings upon his return were Weir and Ehiogu - both vastly experienced EPL players with limited to no experience of football up here - and Thomson and Webster. Webster doesn't make the grade and Ehiogu isn't as good as Weir and Cuellar, but Thomson and Weir were magnificent signings that played alongside the rest of the team brilliantly.

The current Rangers team, on the other hand, lacks that on just about every part of the pitch.

I’m sure that’s why arfield, Davis, McGregor and Defoe were brought in alongside all the younger players.

I'm sure we had a "winner" on loan - Andy King - and he never got near playing. What we need is players who will win their own personal battle on the pitch, show for the ball and stand up for each other. How many times are our players chopped down and no one goes to assist.

Which may be the case but the Scottish players coming in aren't of the same calibre as they previously were.

What scottish players would you sign now that are of the calibre of player you are talking about?

What scottish players would you sign now that are of the calibre of player you are talking about?

None of them. They don't exist. The players we signed under Smith did things of note for their respective SPFL clubs. The ones we have signed haven't, at least not to the same degree.

We don't have one player that I've seen really wanting to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and control it.

I think both Jack and Davis did that in the early part of the season, sometimes in the same game. Barisic also leaves a lot on the park. Goldson and Katic have also been immense at times throughout the season.

It’s not that we don’t have players who exhibit the hallmarks of winners so much as they’ve all seemingly switched off at the same time.

That’s the puzzler here.

None of them. They don't exist. The players we signed under Smith did things of note for their respective SPFL clubs. The ones we have signed haven't, at least not to the same degree.

So how do you suggest Gerrard fixes that?

Walter Smith signed plenty questionable players second time around, especially when it came to ability; Broadfoot, Alexander, McCulloch, Lafferty, Whittaker, Cousin etc. He pretty much instantly moulded them into winners.

Edu, Papac, Adam, Bougherra... all became winners under Smith. It's not always down to a player, the manager has a big part in developing a winning mentality within his squad.

Do we see that under Gerrard. Right now, no.

Its not about trophies or medals for me.

A winner is determined to win their personal battles irrespective of the opposition.

A winner has pride in leaving everything on the park, every time.

A winner drives and leads their teammates to have the same attitude, motivates them.

A winner never thinks that 1-0 is enough but steps their game up to secure the win.

Thats what I also think Gerrard is referring to when he uses the term.

Walter Smith signed plenty questionable players second time around, especially when it came to ability; Broadfoot, Alexander, McCulloch, Lafferty, Whittaker, Cousin etc. He pretty much instantly moulded them into winners.

Edu, Papac, Adam, Bougherra... all became winners under Smith. It's not always down to a player, the manager has a big part in developing a winning mentality within his squad.

Do we see that under Gerrard. Right now, no.

Smith developed that mentality before becoming our manager by learning his trade. None of our management team had done anything of note at management level

You won’t get a bigger winner than Shagger. He gets the hump if anybody’s allowed a shot at him. Davis too.

Tav, Goldson, Katic, Barasic, Kamara, Arfield and Alfie have all struggled for form at times but you’d never accuse them of hiding.

Disappointments for me are Aribo, Kent, Barker, Ojo.

Gennaro Gattuso: "When I lost a match I broke down in frustration. Today players lose, take a selfie and put it on the internet. They make me sick."

Someone else posted it in another thread but like teams from our past, this Tom team almost take it as an offence when people say there’s a challenge. They feel disrespected when people say they’re in a race for the title.

That’s the difference between the two teams.

They thrive under pressure. They revel in being written off.
We crumble when when people say we’ll win. We don’t know what to do when we’re favourites.
They live to prove everyone wrong. We’re terrified of expectation.

The fact it’s happened two years in a row, probably even more disastrous second time round, shows that it’s not just a player issue either. The coaching staff clearly haven’t learned anything.

I want someone volleying doors like Butcher when that mob beat us. I want to see them care like we do. He would have been going through folk in the dressing room that day.

See around 0:23 after others meekly troop through.

And this is why having players who have won nothing themselves, or done anything of note against a dominant Celtic team, is an odd signing policy.

We have players from Dundee, Hearts, Hamilton, Hibs, Kilmarnock. Why are we filling the team with guys with limited success in this country?
And they've got world beaters who couldn't get a game at a poor benfica and spurs team etc, and a left back from kilmarnock and a mid fielder from motherwell etc,etc

Reactions: dmg
Back