Players that Rangers should be trying to sell before the January transfer window closes

Nacho Novo

1. Niko Kranjčar - Never going to get a game anymore, far too slow and up against 12 other midfielders in the team. Best to let him go if he wants to continue playing football.

2. Eduardo Herrera - Christ almighty, some striker this guy is for £1.5 million. At 29 he's scored 2 goals in 22 appearances, his stats were dreadful before he even came here, still puzzled by this. Want to do a deal for £1.5 million, Pedro?

3. Jordan Rossiter - Lets be brutally honest here, he's going to get injured again at some point this year isn't he? Not even the physios or doctor can sort this one out, picks up a long term injury then seems to get injured again in a different part of his body despite already being injured. Best thing to do is cut our losses, might be a hard working kid with passion but when you only play 4 games last season then 6 this season, there's not really much you can do. If Wigan are interested in the boy I'd let him go. £2.5 million simply down to age and potential and he's theirs.

4. Kenny Miller - A fantastic servant for Rangers over the years but I recon this season should probably be his last, can see his legs have gone and can be seen dropping back to midfield in every game to help out the team, needs to stay upfront. If Miller wishes to continue playing he can leave on good terms, if not, would keep here until the end of the season and get him coaching the youths like Thomson, Little, Vignal etc for them to look up to one of their heroes like Miller.

5. Bruno Alves - Once again, a legend to the game itself, been there, seen it and done it, top professional. If Alves wants to continue playing for Portugal then he'll have to move elsewhere, talk of a move to Benevento on the cards and the highest earner at the club. We can't afford to have a 36 year old centre back with no pace getting dragged about in the Europa League or against Celtic (like he did back in December) seen how well young David Bates did when he replaced him.

6. Lee Hodson - Not really the greatest of right backs but another one for slashing off the wage bill when you take into account his gametime, James Tavernier returning to his mindblowing form of the 2015/16 season and that Ryan Jack can also play at right back when called upon.

7. Joe Dodoo - Still only 22 but as if he's actually going to get a game over Morelos or Cummings... Even O'Halloran is miles better than him.

8. Andy Halliday - He's up against 12 other midfielders in the team. No chance of getting gametime. Other CM's like Docherty, Dorrans, Holt, Jack, Goss, at times Windass, even Rossiter when he's fit! Best to let him go although he'll 100% not want to leave.

9. Danny Wilson - Played well for us this season getting regular games but if he wants to move to Colorado Rapids then so be it, we've still got Martin, McCrorie, Bates, Cardoso, Alves and Aidan Wilson at centre back anyway. Contract runs out in June but max we could get for him would be £500,000.

10. Harry Forrester - When he returns from his loan its probably for the best to sell him, far too much competition in midfield and he'll struggle to get a game, seems to have found his level at AFC Wimbledon.

11. Carlos Peña - Like Herrera, just why did we even sign this guy? Totally mindboggling. £2.5 million this guy cost us and still not sure if he's even a footballer! Struggling in Mexico as well, being booed off during his only two games for Cruz Azul and now on a fitness programme thanks to Pedro, where have we seen that before? Another one Caixinha can take back for £2.5 million he'll pay up due to his strange obsession with the two Mexicans.

Rant over. Also a quick point to say I still have faith in Cardoso and O'Halloran, we haven't seen the best of them yet but they have it in them to be good players still. Thats ideally 11 players that should be getting either sold or let go from this team be it before the window closes or if not then, come the summer. Everyone agree? Disagree? Looking forward to the discussion. As a Rangers supporter, ALWAYS have the mindset of, do they have the quality to play in the Europe and do they have what it takes to be one of the men to bring the Scottish Premiership trophy back to Ibrox at the end of the season? Signing 'cover' for Rangers doesn't work if we want to improve, signing players who are better than the current First Team does!

Who is going to buy Miller or Niko they are both done as players. Wilson is off and we might get a few quid cause he has 6month left on his contract. Rossiter you want to keep because he might eventually get fit and is clearly a talent when he is playing. We’ve managed to get one of the Mexicans off the wages for a year, agree it would be great to get Herrera punted too....but I think the best case scenario with him is a loan where we will probably pay a chunk of his wages.

Who’s left. Hodson. Won’t have almost any sell on value. Can’t imagine Forrester would either. Alves is a difficult one. Probably on a big wage yet not really justified it yet. Think we would be happy to find someone to take him from us but I can’t really see anyone paying a decent transfer fee to do so.

So, let’s be honest, we’re not exactly going to make much money getting rid of that lot.

I honestly don't know why some fans are still willing to stick by O'Halloran...he's been with us for how long now? He's shown absolutely nothing in that time.

First person I'd want rid of is Niko. He's done. The guy obviously has talent but his legs aren't there anymore and we can't afford passengers. He'd be best suited to testimonial matches now.

I'd prefer to keep Alves but if he's only in it half hearted then he can leave. No chance will he play through the pain barrier knowing his last World Cup is round the corner.

Dodoo, Forrester, Dalcio etc can all go. Won't be missed.

If someone offered £750k for Herrera I'd take it. Seems like a nice fella but he's not cut out for the Scottish game and I can't see him getting much game time now that Cummings is here.

Pena - I think he's a player when he wants to be but his attitude for a professional footballer is awful.

Who's gonna buy Miller?

Why does Halliday not deserve another chance? Everyone claimed Holt wasn't good enough last year and he's running out midfield just now. Halliday deserves another chance.

Would keep Rossiter til end of season, agree with the rest

Nobody is gonna buy Niko or Miller tho

Read to your Rossiter musing, then your quoted fee.

Stopped there.

That fee would make him amongst our biggest assets without playing.

Makes you wonder what he’d be worth when he starts playing again. We have stuck by him thus far for a reason

Makes you wonder what he’d be worth when he starts playing again. We have stuck by him thus far for a reason

Thats pretty much my point mate. He's still only 20 and previously captained England in youth tournaments as well as playing in Europe for both Rangers and Liverpool. Could make a lot from him as long as he stays fit, but we all know he wont.

Dump Miller and Herrera and we have 2 strikers left.
Dump Alves and Miller and we have 3 fit centre backs.

We just take a dozen players out the squad and hope we get no injuries or suspensions?

Might as well keep Rossiter now after waiting all this time. At least to see how he goes when and if he recovers. He’s still very young. We’d get nothing for him at present. IF we get him fit and it’s very big if, he could be an asset to help the team or be sold on.
Alves is an experienced international who’s a nipper compared to Davy Weir but it depends on what we’re paying him and if his heart is in being part of Murty’s Rangers. If it is, we have two very experienced centre halves at our disposal in a position where careers can last longer than in other positions. As with Rossiter though...it’s a big if.
O’Halloran at his best is like a jet engine on steroids but his football brain seems very limited in that he doesn’t seem to know when to run, cut in, go wide, take on his man, cross or pass. We’d know for sure if he had been given a sustained run ( which I think he probably should have) but now I think there’s too many ahead of him in the queue.
The rest can leave for certain.

1. Niko Kranjčar - Never going to get a game anymore, far too slow and up against 12 other midfielders in the team. Best to let him go if he wants to continue playing football.

2. Eduardo Herrera - Christ almighty, some striker this guy is for £1.5 million. At 29 he's scored 2 goals in 22 appearances, his stats were dreadful before he even came here, still puzzled by this. Want to do a deal for £1.5 million, Pedro?

3. Jordan Rossiter - Lets be brutally honest here, he's going to get injured again at some point this year isn't he? Not even the physios or doctor can sort this one out, picks up a long term injury then seems to get injured again in a different part of his body despite already being injured. Best thing to do is cut our losses, might be a hard working kid with passion but when you only play 4 games last season then 6 this season, there's not really much you can do. If Wigan are interested in the boy I'd let him go. £2.5 million simply down to age and potential and he's theirs.

4. Kenny Miller - A fantastic servant for Rangers over the years but I recon this season should probably be his last, can see his legs have gone and can be seen dropping back to midfield in every game to help out the team, needs to stay upfront. If Miller wishes to continue playing he can leave on good terms, if not, would keep here until the end of the season and get him coaching the youths like Thomson, Little, Vignal etc for them to look up to one of their heroes like Miller.

5. Bruno Alves - Once again, a legend to the game itself, been there, seen it and done it, top professional. If Alves wants to continue playing for Portugal then he'll have to move elsewhere, talk of a move to Benevento on the cards and the highest earner at the club. We can't afford to have a 36 year old centre back with no pace getting dragged about in the Europa League or against Celtic (like he did back in December) seen how well young David Bates did when he replaced him.

6. Lee Hodson - Not really the greatest of right backs but another one for slashing off the wage bill when you take into account his gametime, James Tavernier returning to his mindblowing form of the 2015/16 season and that Ryan Jack can also play at right back when called upon.

7. Joe Dodoo - Still only 22 but as if he's actually going to get a game over Morelos or Cummings... Even O'Halloran is miles better than him.

8. Andy Halliday - He's up against 12 other midfielders in the team. No chance of getting gametime. Other CM's like Docherty, Dorrans, Holt, Jack, Goss, at times Windass, even Rossiter when he's fit! Best to let him go although he'll 100% not want to leave.

9. Danny Wilson - Played well for us this season getting regular games but if he wants to move to Colorado Rapids then so be it, we've still got Martin, McCrorie, Bates, Cardoso, Alves and Aidan Wilson at centre back anyway. Contract runs out in June but max we could get for him would be £500,000.

10. Harry Forrester - When he returns from his loan its probably for the best to sell him, far too much competition in midfield and he'll struggle to get a game, seems to have found his level at AFC Wimbledon.

11. Carlos Peña - Like Herrera, just why did we even sign this guy? Totally mindboggling. £2.5 million this guy cost us and still not sure if he's even a footballer! Struggling in Mexico as well, being booed off during his only two games for Cruz Azul and now on a fitness programme thanks to Pedro, where have we seen that before? Another one Caixinha can take back for £2.5 million he'll pay up due to his strange obsession with the two Mexicans.

Rant over. Also a quick point to say I still have faith in Cardoso and O'Halloran, we haven't seen the best of them yet but they have it in them to be good players still. Thats ideally 11 players that should be getting either sold or let go from this team be it before the window closes or if not then, come the summer. Everyone agree? Disagree? Looking forward to the discussion. As a Rangers supporter, ALWAYS have the mindset of, do they have the quality to play in the Europe and do they have what it takes to be one of the men to bring the Scottish Premiership trophy back to Ibrox at the end of the season? Signing 'cover' for Rangers doesn't work if we want to improve, signing players who are better than the current First Team does!
To take each one in turn,

Kranjcar -absolutely. Body can't cope, regardless of how good his brain is.

Herrera - 2 goals in 22 appearances is quite the damning statistic. It doesn't tell you that the bulk of those 22 appearances have been for the last 7-10 minutes of games. I agree he should be sold though as he's not going to get game time

Rossiter - I disagree entirely. Stick with him and he'll end up making us a fortune. Insurance will be paying his wages anyway so it's not even a case of 'get him out to free up the wage'.

Miller - Should have retired last year. Should go with a thanks for his contributions.

Alves - Hasn't played badly, but if he wants to leave then get a fee for him. Opinion on here shrouded in hysteria because he got injured before an OF game and went to Madrid.

Hodson - Woeful footballer. Absolutely woeful. Take anything we're offered.

Dodoo - A strange one. Looks good as a sub, but pish when started. Would sell.

Halliday - Not good enough. Has passion, but that's about it. Sell

Wilson - I like him. Yes he is prone to lapses, but this season he's been fairly reliable when called upon. However if he wants to go to the US for family reasons, then I wish him all the best. Sell.

Forrester - Could be a great player, but doesn't have the mentality. Sell.

Pena - Without rehashing old arguments, he could have been a very good player for us. For a multitude of reasons, it wasn't to be. If Cruz Azul (or others!) can be encouraged to buy him then he can go.

Cardoso - agree, keep

O'Halloran - never going to be in the type of game where he's effective - i.e. hitting teams on the break - because of how oppositions tend to line up against us. I'd sell him

Thats pretty much my point mate. He's still only 20 and previously captained England in youth tournaments as well as playing in Europe for both Rangers and Liverpool. Could make a lot from him as long as he stays fit, but we all know he wont.

So if we all know that, which we don’t, then how do you expect to sell him on the basis of what he did 2 years ago?

Improving the squad depth then shipping out 11 players would be utterly mental.

I wouldn't be against one or two moving on if we received the right offer but our squad is looking at it's best for years now.

Improving the squad depth then shipping out 11 players would be utterly mental.

I wouldn't be against one or two moving on if we received the right offer but our squad is looking at it's best for years now.

Then again, the only way we'll improve this squad is by selling most of those 11 duds to make money for better players to put into this first team but as you say the squads looking at its best for years so its exiting times ahead to say whos going to be the next to drop out the starting XI to be replaced with a better player?!

the reason is his contract..he knows he is injury prone,he knows he is on a decent wage..he knows no one will sign him with his playing/injury stats

will run out his contract and retire !

at this minute O'halleron

Id actually keep everyone else until the end of the season then clear it out with Wilson, Niko, Miller, Dodoo, Halliday, Hodson, Hererra and Forrester all top of the list to go.

Alves at the end of the season id get rid of if we can tie martin up.

The most important thing in the summer for me in terms of this squad is to Tie up Foderingham and Tavernier, add Cummings Martin and Murphy long term then build on that.

I would keep Halliday and Rossiter but agree on rest ! There is a player in Rossiter and Halliday has heart of a lion which we need in certain games.

Halliday cant go anywhere, due to him having played for two clubs already this season

O'halloran snd Herrera would be my priority as they offer us nothing. Would add Kranjcar but realistically no-one would sign him as he's finished.

Very little to disagree with in the OP's post.

I think Alves is a great defender, reads the game well and has loads of experience that he can hand on to the youngsters. I know that McCrorie and Bates have both stated that he has greatly helped them with lots of guidance at training.

His heart doesn't seem to be in the playing side, but maybe 6 months as a defensive coach would help continue the development of 2 young centre-backs who have shown great improvement during Alves time here.

As for O'Halloran, he is never a Rangers player in a million years. I don't mean that disrespectfully, as he has been a success at St Johnstone and a thorn in our side in the past....... and that explains why he will never be a success at Rangers. His game is all about his pace. A ball over the top, or threaded through for him to run onto. Unfortunately, Rangers play against teams who sit deep and pack their defence every time they play against us and that completely removes his strengths and leaves him completely ineffective.

Wrote on another thread about who should be the next to bring in with the money we'd make from those 11 duds. Young Scottish talent is vital to Rangers and the Country's overall success, doesn't matter who they support but for me the best talent emerging right now are John McGinn, Oliver McBurnie and John Souttar. Souttar and McCrorie at CB would be class, Docherty and McGinn as the CM's and a front two rotation of Cummings, McBurnie and Morelos obviously depending on which partnership works best.

I honestly don't know why some fans are still willing to stick by O'Halloran...he's been with us for how long now? He's shown absolutely nothing in that time.

First person I'd want rid of is Niko. He's done. The guy obviously has talent but his legs aren't there anymore and we can't afford passengers. He'd be best suited to testimonial matches now.

I'd prefer to keep Alves but if he's only in it half hearted then he can leave. No chance will he play through the pain barrier knowing his last World Cup is round the corner.

Dodoo, Forrester, Dalcio etc can all go. Won't be missed.

If someone offered £750k for Herrera I'd take it. Seems like a nice fella but he's not cut out for the Scottish game and I can't see him getting much game time now that Cummings is here.

Pena - I think he's a player when he wants to be but his attitude for a professional footballer is awful.

Personally it’s rather more that he’s never had a run of games to judge him and we don’t normally play on the break which is 100% the boys game.

Would anybody else take John McGinn in the summer despite where his allegiances lie? Cracking player and is still only 23 and now appears to be getting into the Scottish National Team starting line ups. Would kill Celtic if we signed him knowing he's one of theirs.

so you'd keep O'Halloran and want McGinn? ffs stay off the crack pipe.

O'Halloran is no where near good enough, St Johnston is his level.

McGinn? the same McGinn that was bossed by a 16 year old in the Edinburgh Derby, i'd rather strike a deal with Hearts to get first refusal on Cochrane, stop believing the Scottish media hype, there is a reason the scum haven't gone in for him as he's simply not good enough!

I think there’s a space in the squad for a centre back.

And Joe Dodoo is probably the only one who isn’t needed in terms of the squad.

Would love to be moving on Hodson, Niko, Halliday, Dalcio, Miller, MOH and Herrera. However, all of these would need replaced in the squad - and it may be easier/better value to do that in the Summer.

Would anybody else take John McGinn in the summer despite where his allegiances lie? Cracking player and is still only 23 and now appears to be getting into the Scottish National Team starting line ups. Would kill Celtic if we signed him knowing he's one of theirs.

Would I take one of the McGinns, directly descended to the dynasty that oversaw the horrors taking place in the Chamber of Secrets (copyright another poster on another thread earlier today) ?

No. Never, never, never. I've absolutely no problem signing players of any religion or faith, whatsoever, but I draw the line at a stinking crash barrier bheast wearing our Royal Blue.

No, No, No, No, No

Back