Players to be replaced/sold

Ke55y

With 6 players gone who were out of contract who do you think will leave/be sold and who do you think needs replaced.

I think kamara will be sold and maybe Docherty and Jones both sold also

I would like to see Davis and Defoe gone and replaced I think both are now done for a club our size wanting trophies as they just can't influence the game regular enough.

With 6 players gone who were out of contract who do you think will leave/be sold and who do you think needs replaced.

I think kamara will be sold and maybe Docherty and Jones both sold also

I would like to see Davis and Defoe gone and replaced I think both are now done for a club our size wanting trophies as they just can't influence the game regular enough.

If you watch our games, you will know that neither Davis or Defoe are done.

Defoe was our top league goalscorer last season and was averaging a goal a game.

Davis was the best midfielder in the country before the winter break and was instrumental in our midfield dominating every team in the league and some top European sides too.

What you have to do is manage their game minutes properly and not not flog them to death and fatigue them, as we did with Davis after New Year.

They will both play their part next season.

Unless we get an outstanding offer for him, Kamara will still be here.

Defoe was our top league goalscorer last season and was averaging a goal a game.

Davis was the best midfielder in the country before the winter break and was instrumental in our midfield dominating every team in the league and some top European sides too.

What you have to do is manage their game minutes properly and not not flog them to death and fatigue them, as we did with Davis after New Year.

Absolutely.

It annoys the feck out of me that we keep doing this kind of thing.
You don't want to rotate purely for the sake of it, but when you see a player on the pitch looking completely drained after a certain time, he needs to be brought off.
It's up to us to have players available (even if not of the same calibre) who can step in for him when required.

That's a fair assessment.

Shut it birthday boy this is FF. no time for rational and sensible talk

Defoe will stay as backup, he won't be going anywhere as you won't get anyone else of similar ability. He also seems to be happy with this role as well as enjoying being at a big club again.

Davis was one of the best midfielders in the country last year. he won't be leaving this season

Defoe hasn't even started his 1 year deal yet :D

Absolutely.

It annoys the feck out of me that we keep doing this kind of thing.
You don't want to rotate purely for the sake of it, but when you see a player on the pitch looking completely drained after a certain time, he needs to be brought off.
It's up to us to have players available (even if not of the same calibre) who can step in for him when required.

We also need to change the system when certain players come on I think, although I’m still not sure that Gerrard has that in him.

Defoe simply cannot do what Morelos does.

If we seriously want to take the title players like Defoe and Davis are short at the level we need.
Yes they were great players and it was brilliant to have them but we must get real and not sentimental.

My guess is that Jones, Barker and Docherty will leave. I’d love Murphy to be given a chance but unfortunately I don’t see that happening.

None of the current squad would be indispensable to me and any good offer should be considered if the recruitment team feel they have better replacements available. I don’t expect many to move on but the management team need to find alternative ways to play and for that we need a RW, even on loan but they need to be relied upon to start and contribute.

I definitely think we would benefit from a new CM but they would need to be better than we have to progress. Getting these two positions addressed next and getting a load more out the door on loan or permanent who will not see game time will see us ok for next season.

Next season will most likely see major downsizing from most of the league so even standing still may yet prove to be enough if the Dhims lose Edouard but that is not a gamble we should be risking. I’ve always been someone who believes that if we improve the starting 11 by 2 players each window we’ll get where we need to be soon enough. It won’t be popular but for me getting us to a position where we can win 2/3 championships on the bounce is more important than stopping the tainted 10.

If we can replace what we have with better then we should do it. No one is irreplaceable, no one is bigger than the club. No one should be sold unless they don't fit our style, or don't perform or don't want to play. But they need to be replaced with a better player.

If we can find buyers Doc Murphy Barker Jones Stewart and possibly Hastie will be offski

As I’ve said before, the idea of getting rid of all these players is insanity.

If we’re being serious about playing all four competitions this year, then we need a big squad. We need the manager to rotate players who are dead on their feet - something he’s failed to do so far, and it’s cost us - and with that in mind, we need to have players.

The likes of Jones, Docherty, Murphy etc need to be able to fill in when we’ve got the poorer sides at home if we’re going to give ourselves a chance of an extended run.

The alternative is prioritising competitions and making everything but the league secondary. I know that’s not the staunch viewpoint, but if we’re serious about the league then the last two seasons’ collapse after Christmas maybe points to the fact that we don’t have it in our legs.

I think we really need to be harsh when it comes to recruitment, however I think the current climate may have changed that.

In normal circumstances I would replace:

Tav, Davis, Stewart, Jones, Barker.

Tav has been a good player for us over the years but now feels like the right time to replace him. He's been part of sides that have too much experience in losing now to really drive us forward.

Aribo and Barasic are the only must keeps for me.
The rest I won't be awfully upset about if they are replaced. Let's.be honest we could do with an upgrade in every one of their positions

We need players at their upcoming peak playing maximum minutes, a fit Jack and Helander are 2 we need back as the core along with McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Borna, Arfield...any money spent needs to be better than these! £3m gets you Hagi £3.5m Helander £7m Kent with absolutely no guarantee you get this huge jump in quality. What we have needs to work.

Glen Kamara has actually played a small amount of games in his career so far. I think he has a lot of potential to become a great player, unfortunately he’s not quite the type to break down a stuborn defence with a pass so might not be suited to us long term

What has Defoe done wrong when he has started?
Only thing Defoe has done wrong is not be Morelos! I think he scored 17 in 31 games. We certainly need a Arfield or Hagi playing centrally right up with him to link up.

I think the OP is playing football manager in his head.
Defoe has not even started his new deal and you want shot of him, who would you consider brining in to replace him when he is pound for pound one of the best strikers in the league.
If we were Chelsea and pots of cash we could buy where ever or whoever but we need to be careful with cash and be glad we have someone like defoe in the team.

The way the team finished the season nobody should be safe. Any really good offers come in for any of them and we take it and use it to rebuild.

As for Davis and Defoe if they play any more than a bit-part role this season then we are in big, big trouble.

If we got decent money for Kamara I would take it. This summer i dont want to see us bring in 7 or 8 players. I want 3 or 4 who walk straight into the first 11. I know it will be tough to get that for the money we have but that needs to be what we aim for.

I’d happily sell Kamara if we got an offer of £6m + providing we put a sell on clause in place.

The players we’ve released won’t be a miss. They were bench fillers at most but a couple of them will need replaced in terms of providing cover

Not long after arriving I though Kamara was going to be the absolute bollox -
He went off the boil to say the least especially after the winter break but picked up a bit late on before the campaign was abandoned
If it were possible to get him consistently playing well he'd be an immense player to have & a must keep imo

Would keep Davis but the manager can't expect 2 games a week from him
We play over 50 games per season, Davis should only be involved in 30 of them
He's one of my favourite players but it's asking far too much from him now,
He shouldn't play early rounds of cups and some lge games, keep him for important games and he will give us his best

I’d happily see Tav,Goldson,Morelos and Kamara moved on. I think Doc,Murphy,Barker and maybe even Jones will be let go.

Good opening sentence MU.

I think both Docherty and Jones and both certain to leave imo. Kamara Goldson and Morelos will have the potential to be sold be those depend on how covid 19 has affected clubs and the transfer market.

I don’t think a freshen up of the squad in a couple of positions would hurt.
wouldn’t be surprised to see us cash in on Kamara and maybe Goldson as well.

Can see the like of Jones, Murphy and Docherty being sold on. Out of the three I’d be tempted to keep Murphy - he can get goals at SPL level.

Apologies if I've missed this and this might be a challenge but I'm not convinced with Scott Arfield. I just don't think he's either playing in a role that suits his skills or the team formation just doesn't get the best out of him.

Either way I don't see him in a commanding midfield. But since I think he's got two years left I hope he exceeds my expectations

Apart from the spare bodies like Barker, Docherty etc that are never going to challenge for a nailed on starting spot, I'd listen to offers for Tav and Goldson.

Thinking about the earlier comments in the thread about Defoe, I can't recall if him and Hagi ever played together, but that could be a tasty combination of being able to find a pass and a finisher (fitness willing)

We also need to change the system when certain players come on I think, although I’m still not sure that Gerrard has that in him.

Defoe simply cannot do what Morelos does.
I couldn't agree more. Even when a Defoe was in from the start we played ad if Alfie was there. Defoe is an out and out striker if we played to his strengths, he would score a barrel load. He needs to be fed into the zone where he works best inside the box. I live SG being here, I am not convinced he can play differently.......I hope he has learned and gets the job done

If we seriously want to take the title players like Defoe and Davis are short at the level we need.
Yes they were great players and it was brilliant to have them but we must get real and not sentimental.
Ironic you say we must get real, the reality is we are never going to be able to afford a level up from Davis and Defoe, where are you expecting us to find these players.
You do know even the Belgian , Swedish, Dutch up and coming players are going for big bucks and we have just spent 3 mil on Hagi. I think you need to be realistic about the finances we have.

The only players we should be looking at selling from the starting 11 are either barisic or Morelos, the sale of one of them would give us a decent enough budget for a few strong additions, my preference would be Morelos to go.

Arfield,Davis,kamara are still very good players although they need to be rotated throughout a season. Gerrard has found a formation and press that Celtic struggle to cope with, all 3 players have featured and started in games against them where we have totally dominated, this alone is why they shouldn’t be going anywhere.

We are still short in the middle of the park in terms of a goalscorer with a bit of power and aggression, Kenny McLean would be one player who could
Solve this problem.

Jones,barker,docherty should be shipped out. I think Murphy might be given another chance along with Stewart.

I couldn't agree more. Even when a Defoe was in from the start we played ad if Alfie was there. Defoe is an out and out striker if we played to his strengths, he would score a barrel load. He needs to be fed into the zone where he works best inside the box. I live SG being here, I am not convinced he can play differently.......I hope he has learned and gets the job done

I just see him as another manager - regardless of his name - and I don’t know how many others would get away with it.

Ironic you say we must get real, the reality is we are never going to be able to afford a level up from Davis and Defoe, where are you expecting us to find these players.
You do know even the Belgian , Swedish, Dutch up and coming players are going for big bucks and we have just spent 3 mil on Hagi. I think you need to be realistic about the finances we have.

I totally agree we're the poor relations at the party right now & we're going to have to be as shrewd as possible when attempting to improve our squad

Having said that - I still believe it's more than possible to achieve this - by shopping for 'out of contract' bargains & in the poorer leagues

The lure of our club's historical stature & the gaffer's reputation can & should be a factor in attracting out of contract players & although I'd prefer not to have to resort to this - we should still make the most of it

Back