Players to be replaced/sold

Well, as it turned out, it was far more than half a season, but if that's your criteria, then only probably Arfield would get pass marks after the winter break.

From McGregor to Morelos, all our players underperformed after the break.

Tbf to Davis, due to injuries, we had to play him too often and his form suffered because of that.

When players hit their mid 30s, their game minutes have to be managed, if you want to get the best out of them.
Hunger,desire and injuries.
Thats the problem with guys in their 30s.
I wouldnt totally hold it against them as the other side of the coin can be worse with wasters like grezda .
At least defoe and davis are great professionals and wont take the cant out of us.
They will be the first to know they are done.

Why do you feel the need for a new central defence partnership, Did we not just buy Helander for 4mil. He is 27 and a Swedish international, why would we need to replace him?
A new center back, yes, i agree especially if we cash in on Goldson. If Goldson and Katic stay then there is no way we are buying a new CB pairing.
Central midfieId i would say a box to box type player on loan and another defensive holding midfielder is needed.

Goldson is 28 years old this year. He has two years left on his deal.

We either extend it(I wouldn't) or his value decreases from here on in. I don't think we'll get any more money for him than we will this summer even on an extended deal.

Some team in England will pay good money for him.

Last edited:
We need more steel and mental strength at centre half (x1) and in centre mid (x1).

I would also like to see someone up front in support of Alfie who is younger and physical than Defoe.

Well, as it turned out, it was far more than half a season, but if that's your criteria, then only probably Arfield would get pass marks after the winter break.

Tbf to Davis, due to injuries, we had to play him too often and his form suffered because of that.

When players hit their mid 30s, their game minutes have to be managed, if you want to get the best out of them.
Davis just didn’t underperform he was shocking,now if you want to go into next season with davis as a starter who will be little bit older then we won’t win league simple as that.
Davis next season should be starting couple of games and coming on sub to control the game.

Blame lies with Gerrard on that one.

His constant flogging of players who are dead on their feet is unhelpful.
Players weren’t dead on their feet when we came back after Xmas the players just played crap.
Davis passing was atrocious after new year that’s nothing to do with fitness.
listen I like Davis and he’s served us well but we need better if we want to win trophies.

We need goals from midfield and our number 10s. I don't know which players out there offer us this and are within budget but it's obvious (at least to me) that this is what we're missing.

Playing devils advocate here mate and my memory certainly isn’t always spot on,but Arfield and Aribo are the players that seemed to find form after the break when given opportunities.
I accept some players probably played through injuries but I’m afraid the staff have to take some responsibility there also imo.

We need players at their upcoming peak playing maximum minutes, a fit Jack and Helander are 2 we need back as the core along with McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Borna, Arfield...any money spent needs to be better than these! £3m gets you Hagi £3.5m Helander £7m Kent with absolutely no guarantee you get this huge jump in quality. What we have needs to work.

You have pointed out one of the failures of the Gerrard regime, viz. the often questionable track record shown in our attempts to upgrade the squad. For eg., was Kent really worth £7m or was he a panic buy? Reasonable questions could still be asked about Aribo's suitability for the SPL. Then there are the likes of Docherty, Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Barker, all of whom were signed yet have barely featured. Because they have played so few games, for me, the jury is still out on Helander and Hagi.

The task of overhauling the yahoos is a challenging one, made more difficult by the financial terrain Rangers are forced to operate in. As a club, we simply have to do a better job than we have done thus far.

Absolutely.

It annoys the feck out of me that we keep doing this kind of thing.
You don't want to rotate purely for the sake of it, but when you see a player on the pitch looking completely drained after a certain time, he needs to be brought off.
It's up to us to have players available (even if not of the same calibre) who can step in for him when required.
Agree, rotating Davis before he gets to this stage has to be the key.

Difficult dropping him when he was probably the best midfielder in the league, but at his age his minutes need managing.

Reactions: cav
He’s more than good enough to be a squad player that can contribute.

I’m not convinced

It’s easy to point to a couple of decent games he had but there was also some poor ones

He seemed to do well in Europe against teams that defend high up the park

In the SPL I can’t recall him having any stand out games as they play a deeper back line. Away to St Mirren he was abysmal

Still think we’ll trim another 3 or 4 fringe players, possibly 1 more if the right money was offered.

Hoping we keep the core and add 3 or 4 additions that can challenge first team.

We should be looking at loaning out our fringe and younger reserve players to SPFL clubs that will be struggling to put a squad out on the pitch.

The harsh truth is that as much as these players have improved us as a team and massively overachieved in Europe when it comes to the crunch domestically we're falling short.

Something needs to change. By my reckoning if we want to win the title we need to upgrade first choice players in 4 areas minimum.

Central defence
Central midfield x 2
Right sided attacker

If we sell a full back and/or Alfie that could rise to 6

At some point we're going to need to bite the bullet and sell players the manager deems as important.

I still think we'll cash in on Tav and Goldson this summer. This is absolutely our final chance for both players to get some good money for both.

As for Alfie - Sadly we cannot rely on him over a full season for a variety of reasons. If the money is right, I'd sell him as well.
I can only hope the manager agrees with this.

How anyone could have watched us since January and not want changes made is beyond me.

We bring out DVDs for seasons we won titles, not a few months where we played quite well.

Reactions: cav
You have pointed out one of the failures of the Gerrard regime, viz. the often questionable track record shown in our attempts to upgrade the squad. For eg., was Kent really worth £7m or was he a panic buy? Reasonable questions could still be asked about Aribo's suitability for the SPL. Then there are the likes of Docherty, Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Barker, all of whom were signed yet have barely featured. Because they have played so few games, for me, the jury is still out on Helander and Hagi.

The task of overhauling the yahoos is a challenging one, made more difficult by the financial terrain Rangers are forced to operate in. As a club, we simply have to do a better job than we have done thus far.
I think Kent was more of a panic buy than not, i dont see us making money on him.
As for Helander, at 3.5 million, i am expecting someone who can handle virtually anything that comes his way in Scotland.
He has to cope with strikers from clubs like Hamilton , st mirren etc.
Should be cannon fodder.

I think everyone w
After the new year break performances no one is safe
I think every one with the loser mentality should be gone,all this we prefer being the underdog mentality has to be rooted out,this is Rangers and if they can't handle it,get rid. It still sickens me the way we capitulated. I don't think we have enough players who can come on and make an impact,we have a good workman like team but I think we need to step up the quality of player.

I think Kent was more of a panic buy than not, i dont see us making money on him.
As for Helander, at 3.5 million, i am expecting someone who can handle virtually anything that comes his way in Scotland.
He has to cope with strikers from clubs like Hamilton , st mirren etc.
Should be cannon fodder.
I think Kent will get better and if we put Hagi in the middle those two could team up well together. We don't have enough of those players who can unlock defences. We do need stronger strength in depth.

The only big sale i would make for the right price is Morelos, he will be targeted by the refs from game 1. We cant afford our number 1 player to miss huge parts of the season.
We need just as good a replacement as Alfie,which we don't have,Defoe is a different type of player and is better with say Arfield up beside him. I don't think we are strong in terms of squad depth, too many nowhere near the standard required.

We dont really know what the management want in terms of players or ones they wish to loan or offload.
The management are now going into year 3, and its make or break .
The players leaving over the next 12 months will quite a lot.
I would see mcgregor needing a replacement by then.
We will see davis, defoe, barker, stewart, docherty, murphy,mcrorie, hastie,middleton , jones move on.
There will be others sold,so we have a good opportunity to bring in quality.

Back