Players we tried to sign and we dodged a bullet

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Watching Scott Allan today made me wonder why we ever thought he would be good enough for Rangers, and we all remember the saga of us trying to sign him.
There have been others over the years that we wanted to bring to Ibrox who we saw afterwards they were a lucky escape.

Glenn Loovens would be one.

Who else would you categorise as "dodged a bullet"?

Watching Scott Allan today made me wonder why we ever thought he would be good enough for Rangers, and we all remember the saga of us trying to sign him.
There have been others over the years that we wanted to bring to Ibrox who we saw afterwards they were a lucky escape.

Am I right in thinking that we missed out on loovens and ended up with Bougherra instead?

Walter Smith offered £1m for Mark Reynolds, and something similar for Murray Davidson.

Eck tried to sign Hartley and Riordan!

Is there any truth in the story at the time that Walter "faked" our interest after watching him a few times to tempt them into making an offer?

That boy from Dundee United that ended up at Blackburn. Got himself into bother.

That much of a bullet dodged I can't remember his name.

I thought he was a real prospect.

David Goodwillie

Julian Faubert. Think we were gonna pay a few million for him. Ended up at West Ham for 6m. Don't think he did much.

Was it Florin Radiciou (sp?) who was signed and sealed only for him to end up at West Ham. Was last seen dossing out in a caravan.

Seth Johnston from Derby, around the Advocatt era I think. We wanted to pay around £6m for the guy I think.

Definately Scot Allan on today''performance. Could be some truth in the story that Walter faked the fat Japanese into signing him for the scum.

Curtis Woodhouse
Advocaat wanted him but he went to Birmingham then was less than spectacular
I remember the papers having a story about how he didn't like football so he quit to become a boxer

David Fernandez from Livingston

Argentinian striker that went to Birmingham instead of us under Eck.

the old, old, old, FF had a meltdown.

Then at Real Madrid!

Didn't know that or couldn't remember. Just checked his stats. Since 2007, when joining West Ham, he's played about 185 games and scored 6 goals. Pretty pathetic 10 year record. However, I don't know what his full injury record has been like.

Oh, and he played for Kilmarnock. 9 games I think I read.

Big Glenda Loovens.

They had a scouting policy of going for all our targets. I'm certain Walter openly went for this diddy knowing that they'd go for him as well.

Back