Players wearing suits on matchdays

It seems a silly thing to hold in such importance but I remember as a young kid going to my first games at Ibrox and seeing the players turn up ahead of kickoff in their club suits looking very smart and focused.

It counts for %^*& all of he doesn’t get the team playing well but I felt a lot of enthusiasm for this appointment after hearing Beale talk over the last few days on a few interviews and then the press conference today.

The dead-stare he gave someone for asking a bit of an arsey question at the end of what Sky showed live was priceless.

I like the idea but I also liked the ideas of shirt and tie to training, no facial hair, shirts tucked in and socks pulled up.

(The idea I like best is whatever it takes to create a winning team.)

Go back to the no mobile phone rule as well. Also lets not feed them till they win games B-)
If they lose a game we should threaten to “turn them into soup” like the mad president/dictator of Zaire did to his football team in the 74 World Cup.
Hence why that bloke blootered the ball at the free kick, he was having a nervous breakdown

Simply I just want to see a winning team. I don’t care if they come in wearing jeans and T-shirts as long as we are winning.

It may have been reintroduced but something sticks in my mind that Advocaat was 1st to do away with the tradition.

.....equally, I might be talking pi$h! :))
I could be wrong here and stand to be corrected but maybe advocaat stopped the wearing of suits to training on a daily basis, also tying in with the opening of training centre. Still wore suits on match day?

Standards need to be increased on and off the pitch. I was really happy when he said suits were coming back. As it should be. We are not the tramps.

Making football players nowadays have to walk about in suits... Their sponsors will love that :D
Not 100% sure on our players sponsorship deals but I doubt Nike or adidas will be caring if they don’t have trainers worn by SPFL players with limited exposure. The club will also have suit sponsors.

I like the idea of suits and us setting ourselves apart. However for home games now do the players not arrive really early and drive their cars in the broomloan gates to the enter the stadium via the tunnel?

Seems a bit pointless to wear a suit for that when they are completely out of sight.

I did like it when we turned up at the piggery and the whole squad got off the bus looking smart to walk past the orcs. That only seemed to stop a few years ago...?

I like the idea of suits and us setting ourselves apart. However for home games now do the players not arrive really early and drive their cars in the broomloan gates to the enter the stadium via the tunnel?

Seems a bit pointless to wear a suit for that when they are completely out of sight.

I did like it when we turned up at the piggery and the whole squad got off the bus looking smart to walk past the orcs. That only seemed to stop a few years ago...?
They park in a cordoned off area behind the Copland Road, and enter the CR via a Herras Fencing walkway.
Gives the fans opportunities for Photos / Signatures.

It’s the right message, yes.

Will it impact where it matters on the pitch? That remains to be seen.

All about the results for me TBH.

It will put some of signing for us……
how many clubs have this as a rule?
Exactly, footballers signing for us don’t have the money to be splashing out on things like suits. All very well for someone like Ross Wilson to be sitting across the table in his jojo maman bebe designer suit, demanding they can have 20k a week but need to get to slaters to look the part. There’s a cost of living crisis and multi millionaire footballers are hit just as hard as the rest of us. Not a chance we’ll compete with al nassr for Ronaldo if we keep this nonsense up

Absolutely raging

No issue at all with setting some standards that are befitting of our club and traditions.

Really excited about the Beale era. From the training videos to his presser to small nuances in his approach like this. He's a proper manager.

Anyone else pick up on him saying “the players are hearing this first here”. Wonder how they’ll take it.

Exactly, footballers signing for us don’t have the money to be splashing out on things like suits. All very well for someone like Ross Wilson to be sitting across the table in his jojo maman bebe designer suit, demanding they can have 20k a week but need to get to slaters to look the part. There’s a cost of living crisis and multi millionaire footballers are hit just as hard as the rest of us. Not a chance we’ll compete with al nassr for Ronaldo if we keep this nonsense up

Absolutely raging
And don't forget about the shirts, the ties, the cufflinks, the dry cleaning costs, the shoe polish. It never f@cking ends.

I can see both sides of this.

The players look smart and ready for work turning up in suits, but does that mean they have to sit on a bus to Aberdeen/Dingwall etc for 4 hours with a suit on? That can't be as relaxing as wearing a trackie.

Anyone else pick up on him saying “the players are hearing this first here”. Wonder how they’ll take it.
Must admit I’m a big fan of Beale but that was the only point it struck me as a bit unprofessional. The players should’ve been told first. I suppose he was just thinking off the cuff, showing his inexperience. From what I hear the rule will only be for home games, players will be allowed loungewear for travel to away matches. A nice nod to tradition.

Last edited:
I am 100% in support of the players being suited and booted (brown brogues) on matchdays. I would like to see more of the fans smarten up too - let's have a lot more collar & ties on show. I'm looking at you UB.

Won’t be able to use them as they will be wearing traditional bearskin hats.
I used to use something similar to this while wearing a bearskin....
oneplus-bullets-z2-wireless-earphones-with-mic.jpg

Correct decision. We should always look smarter and more professional than our opponents. First psychological battle of match day won.

Must admit I’m a big fan of Beale but that was the only point it struck me as a bit unprofessional. The players should’ve been told first. I suppose he was just thinking off the cuff, showing his inexperience. From what I hear the rule will only be for home games, players will be allowed loungewear for travel to away matches. A nice nod to tradition.
Inexperience is probably the right word. Something along the lines of, the club has its traditions that it was built on, we’ll be sticking to them or reintroducing them, would have been fine.

Really hope players aren’t put off by a suit.

He is going to hold the players to higher standards. About time, as too many have been coasting this season.
Exactly. Tracksuits are sportswear aren't comfy if you wear them every day. It just becomes the norm and a symptom of laziness.

I’m glad Beale is wearing a suit on match days. It’s my number 2 thing (behind winning) that a Rangers manager should be wearing a suit. I was worried he’d come in dressed like Neil Lennon.

Back