Players wearing suits to the game

attack-hands

1492943198621_lc_galleryImage_Rangers_Kenny_Miller_left.JPG

Joey-Barton-Rangers-contract-730953.jpg

Admin: Merge with players arriving at park head thread if more appropriate

I noticed that all the players arriving off the bus were all in their track suits, is this part of the Hummel deal?

Always thought it it was club practice that players arrived to matches suited and booted, I would have thought psychologically this has a big impact, to get off the bus looking sharp with head held high in front of a baying mob must go some way to getting your head in the game.

The players got off that bus and scuttled in with their track suits, wonder if they weren't quite mentally in the right place - would bringing the suits back go some way to change the attitude?

Edit: picture for illustrative purposes only

Last edited:
As an aside, I was watching a Rangers TV archive game last week, and against Partick Thistle, in a league game, John Greig was in the dug out with a tracksuit on. The manager and playets should wear what makes them comfortable.

If Gerrard would prefer to wear a tracksuit, I'd rather he did so. If he thinks he represents the club better in a suit fair enough, but it should be his decision.

I remember McCoist mentioning in his story about Gazza, the two fish and Gordon Durie’s car that they used to have to wear a collar and tie to training.

I get the game has moved on a lot from then - and call me old fashioned - but I’d much rather see the team and manager in Club suits than in tracksuits.

Why is it unacceptable for businessmen to wear a tracksuit to work but we want professional footballers to wear suits to their place of work?

For what it’s worth, the new players suits haven’t arrived yet. Think they were only fitted for them a few weeks ago.

I am a bit old school in this matter and SG should in my opinion dress in a suit, but hell the country has gone to hell in a handcart, so maybe he should dress as he sees fit.

that's hampden and obv a semi final or final

but I agree, players should always be in collar and tie turning up to any game, its all about standards. Those grey tracksuits look cheap and nasty
100% it’s the tattiedome as the busses go into Hamden on arrival and it doesn’t have a Celtic shop in its car park.

I've always advocated making the players and management's job as comfortable and easy as possible. It should be up to them (except cup finals maybe). If they enjoy wearing a suit, fine. If they want to wear a trackie and trainers, fine. Whatever helps them win.

Bring back changing strips at half time. There was nothing like watching big Ham n Egg lead the Bears out in brand new strips second half on a pissing down, muddy as fk day at the piggery whilst McNeil and co shuffled out like the piss stained alkies they were.

If Gerrard would prefer to wear a tracksuit, I'd rather he did so. If he thinks he represents the club better in a suit fair enough, but it should be his decision.
You can tell he prefers the track suit. He often changes right away after the match some times before the interviews have even been done. If he doesn’t get changed he loses the tie and jacket always too.

You can tell he prefers the track suit. He often changes right away after the match some times before the interviews have even been done. If he doesn’t get changed he loses the tie and jacket always too.
Hes a scouser of course he prefers a trackie! However wearing a suit commands respect on the touchline a tracksuit doesnt.

You see 2 guys walking down the street towards you one in a trackie and one in a suit youl think one is a ned and one has done well in life.

Good point; I never felt Murty and Warburton were comfortable in suits either. I'm also slightly concerned that the concept of a Rangers manager not only having to wear a suit, but the official Blazer/suit/tie has accumulated some kind of rigidity, when in fact it appears to have been an 80s/90s idea; so instead this adapted more than many of us appreciate. I'm normally traditional when it comes to most things, but I also like people to be themselves more importantly.

Last edited:
Hes a scouser of course he prefers a trackie! However wearing a suit commands respect on the touchline a tracksuit doesnt.

You see 2 guys walking down the street towards you one in a trackie and one in a suit youl think one is a ned and one has done well in life.
On a superficial level wearing a suit commands respect; in the end it doesn't appear to having commanded respect for a few previous managers.

Remember the bonetti brothers at Dundee !
Used to wear body warmers and timberland style boots!!
Worst dressed Italians ever

My son was on a placement in between terms this summer and wore a collar and tie mostly, but said he felt partly out of place, because most people on his floor wore t-shirts etc; times are changing I think. I'm not advocating dressing down, as it could be called, but in specific instances perhaps we should be flexible. I also respect the views of those who think the manager should wear a suit on the touchline.

I prefer to see the players in suits. Always liked to read the standards Mr Struth set for players in and out of the work place. The tracksuits are fine for flights etc.

I think it gives a view of the club to others rather than gets players in the right mindset for a match. Wearing a tie to work never made me better at doing my job.

It’s 2018,I don’t mind the team turning up in tracksuits,they are sportsmen.
I also think Gerrard would prefer to be in a tracksuit.

Maybe the players should just wear suits on the pitch as well to ensure they are mentally in the right place during the game.....

How can the attitude of these players be questioned?

By the time we play again this will be the worst team ever seen in a Rangers shirt according to the knicker wetting Muppets on here

You really are only as good as your last game in the fickle world of FF

1492943198621_lc_galleryImage_Rangers_Kenny_Miller_left.JPG

Joey-Barton-Rangers-contract-730953.jpg

Admin: Merge with players arriving at park head thread if more appropriate

I noticed that all the players arriving off the bus were all in their track suits, is this part of the Hummel deal?

Always thought it it was club practice that players arrived to matches suited and booted, I would have thought psychologically this has a big impact, to get off the bus looking sharp with head held high in front of a baying mob must go some way to getting your head in the game.

The players got off that bus and scuttled in with their track suits, wonder if they weren't quite mentally in the right place - would bringing the suits back go some way to change the attitude?

Edit: picture for illustrative purposes only
You do realise in the photo with Joey Barton in the suit we got pumped 5-1 in that game?

I think Rangers players should wear suit,shirt and tie but I also think they should have their jerseys tucked in, socks fully rolled up and no facial hair.

(I'm not old-fashioned - I'm prepared to concede that bowler hats have probably had their day.)

Traditionalist in this regard, I like them to wear suits on game day, I hate the idea of a Rangers manger not in a suit in the dug out.

As a sidenote was the change of club tie this season a direct result of distancing from the last 3 managers. SG wore it for the press conference when he signed however rolled up at sheepville with the current one which he continues to wear.

I had the Walter/Advocaat one with the yellow in it, always thought it was a nice wee revenue stream.

League games and cup games other than semifinal / finals players should just wear trackys.
Maybe for Europe and certainly for the cup semis / finals players should wear suits.
Manager should always be in a suit imo but if he chose to wear a tracky for the league games I couldn’t give a toss.

Tbh they could all turn up in mankinis as long as their winning it has no bearing other than peoples opinion.

Back