Players who have moved from Scotland to England and flopped

Boumsong was a head scratcher. He was as good as anybody I’ve seen in defence for us in that brief period he was here, went down South and completely bombed.

Don’t know mate, he had a few scary games. Questionable in Europe and was given a horrid time by Mark de Vries when Hearts came to Ibrox.

Aiden McGeady now at Sunderland having transferred to Spartak Moscow from the Scum then Everton then (Loaned to Sheff Wed & Preston)

Boumsong and Amo were first 2 that came to mind both had an absolute torrid time down there

Pretty sure Boumsong then got a move to Juve as well

After all this talk of Morelos and most recently Kamara being targeted by English sides, it got me thinking of players from Scotland, not just the Old Firm, who have moved from Scotland to England and flopped.

I don't think there's many in recent times.

When you think of McGinn moving from Hibs to Aston Villa and now he's rumoured to be interesting Man Utd.

Ryan Fraser from Aberdeen to Bournemouth and now possibly to Liverpool.

Kenny McLean is playing most weeks for Norwich.

McArthur and McCarthy doing well for Palace.

John Fleck has been a stand out for Sheffield Utd for a few seasons.

Stuart Armstrong, Graeme Shinnie are squad players for their respective clubs.

Van Dijk moved a number of years ago and is touted as one of the worlds best defenders.

Barry Ferguson won a trophy down in England with Birmingham City. Alan Hutton didn't manage to nail down a place at Spurs but did very well at Aston Villa towards the end of his career.

Tierney has moved recently, and there's strong talk that Morelos and Kamara won't be too far behind - If all three of them can do well it will definitely see more players hit the radar of the wealthy clubs down in England.

I know I'm probably doing us and Celtic an injustice here, I know some people don't like to see us being a stepping stone - but it's sign of the times. Both clubs are very much buy small and sell big clubs right now and England is where the money is.

What players have made the move from Scotland to England and just outright flopped?

And are there any other players in Scotland who you can see attracting interest from England soon?

As a Wednesday fan we had Simon Donnelly and Phil O Donnell (RIP) who weren’t just flops but crocks, cost us a fortune when they spent most of their time on the treatment table

Nearly all Strachan's signings at Boro. Kris Boyd, Lee Miller, Willo Flood, Andy Halliday, Kevin Thompson (although injured) were all hopeless, Scott Macdonald journeyman OK. Only Barry Robson (excellent) and Stephen Macmanus (solid) were up to Championship standard. Probably the broadest test of the SPL player standard compared to England undertaken this century. Major SPL fail.
Wasn't Halliday already there?

McCoist had a nightmare at Sunderland.
He really didn’t. But it doesn’t comply with the Coisty narrative. He was a young star in a failing team and if you watch some of his highlights, he worked his arse off. Too young and wrong club. I’m assuming you’re of the vintage that watched him playing for Sunderland?

Future EPL superstars Josh Windass and Barrie McKay have to be in with a shout.

FF favourite Louis Moult is a good shout too.

Flo when we sold him to Sunderland, 6 goals in about 30 games.

Scott Allan

Won't be popular on here,but Baxter wasn't a success in England.my personal opinion is,he was never the same after his leg break

Feck being popular.

You've stated a fact.

Yet you look at what he did at Wembley in 67 and you wonder at the majesty of what could and should have been?

My old man in the mid early to mid 70;s was telling me he should have still been at Ibrox as a player, because of how he read the game.

Before his leg break.

Won't be popular on here,but Baxter wasn't a success in England.my personal opinion is,he was never the same after his leg break
Yet,I've just spent a night in the company of an old Sunderland fan out here in Lanzarote who absolutely loved Baxter. By his reckoning Baxter is the most talented player he's seen, including Best. Mind you he said "if he hadn't been supping two bottles of vodka a day,he'dve been even better".
Baxter was sold to Nottingham Forset for £100,000, a huge fee in those days, where he did indeed flop.

The Rhys McCabe one makes me smile, a lot.

He was a little prick on his departure. He then turned to social media and acted like a (unt towards the fans. I remember him thinking he was the main man playing in the Championship in England when we were struggling.

How things change, McCabe. :)

Wylde, also. He was a snake.

He really didn’t. But it doesn’t comply with the Coisty narrative. He was a young star in a failing team and if you watch some of his highlights, he worked his arse off. Too young and wrong club. I’m assuming you’re of the vintage that watched him playing for Sunderland?
They show one goal from his time there, a scranble in the box. He had a great time at St J and then hit the skids when he went to Roker. You are right though that they were rotten and a lot was put on his young shoulders.

It took a while for him to settle in at Ibrox too though. The hat trick at Hampden clouds peoples memories. It all came good though, true Rangers legend.

He was a little prick on his departure. He then turned to social media and acted like a (unt towards the fans. I remember him thinking he was the main man playing in the Championship in England when we were struggling.

What did McCabe do exactly mate? Genuine question as I don't remember.

Wylde is the lowest of the low and far worse than Naismith etc. Will never forget him making up a bullshit sob story about why he was leaving out of empathy for the staff in lesser positions. The reality was that Owen Coyle had tapped him up with a massive signing on fee and it was in his own interest to get out as soon as possible.

He now plays for St Patrick's Athletic. Lol.

What did McCabe do exactly mate? Genuine question as I don't remember.

Wylde is the lowest of the low and far worse than Naismith etc. Will never forget him making up a bullshit sob story about why he was leaving out of empathy for the staff in lesser positions. The reality was that Owen Coyle had tapped him up with a massive signing on fee and it was in his own interest to get out as soon as possible.

McCabe goaded the fans on Twitter about being in the bottom league, whilst he was lighting up the English Championship for Sheffield Wednesday.

Agreed on Wylde. He’s an often forgotten about rat. One of the worse. The tea lady stories were disgusting.

He cashed in on a sign on bonus to move the next day to Bolton.

Derek Lilley. I mind him scoring a tonne of goals for morton and was sold to Leeds but from memory it was a pretty uneventful stint down there.

Derek Lilley. I mind him scoring a tonne of goals for morton and was sold to Leeds but from memory it was a pretty uneventful stint down there.

Mental to think that a mid table Scottish First Division striker got a move to the EPL and actually got games.

The equivalent of Bob McHugh getting a move to a West Ham or Everton this season

Based on what? I’ll raise you.
Borna will end up at real with Modric.
that no one would bat an eyelid at paying 10 - 12 million on the Croatian international left-back. not sure he is going to a top-top club as his next jump

You sure McCabe acted that way? Can’t seem to remember it myself.

Haha, Gio just went right downhill after Rangers. Hutton had a very good career in England to be fair to him, and was always good for Scotland. Certainly not a flop. I'll give you Boumsong.

Sarcasm surely?
As someone else has already pointed out, he went form Arsenal to Barcelona, won a CL and captained his country to a World Cup final.
Edit to add - just had a look at his wiki, he won the PL and an FA cup at arsenal too

Back