Players who smoked

Socrates, what a player, smoked 20 fags and a shag before a game, liked a wee shandy too, what’s not to like about him.

Remember watching Hibs v Leeds in 1970s. Standing outside main door, Billy Bremner came out helping to carry team hamper and he was smoking.

Different sport but couldn't help thinking of this Ulster legend.

44E2315A-028A-1AEF-EA6D641E00EC77E2.jpg

Dunno how people can play football and smoke fags. I remember I was at some point when I played and I was always heaving for air after 5 minutes, haha. Could run all day when I was off them....

Up until the early 60s players like the Spurs goalie used to advertise cigarettes in matchday programmes, brands like "Craven A"

Was playing bowls one day in the village where I grew up and Tommy Mclean and Tom Forsyth were playing next to us. When we finished big Forsyth ordered himself two pimts of lager , downed the first and then got the fags out and casually drunk the second.

Only when he drank. Staff at Gleneagles can confirm that haha

Probably the majority in the 80s/90s were caught out on the odd night out when smoking indoors was allowed in pubs, and when cigars were more common.

Rangers played FC Zurich back in the 70's and we were getting tickets from Alex McDonald at the team's hotel.
Was actually shocked to see big Tam puffing away in the lobby.
Never crossed my mind that the players smoked.
My first European game

Big Tam gave me an autograph at Boghead while he was smoking

John Greig smoked

Back