Players you hated to see go

TheAdman

Was listening to TalkSport on the commute home and they were discussing players from their club they hated to see go for either 1) the club they went to (Van Persie to Man Utd) or 2) because they loved the player that much while he was at the club. Who’s everyones player they hated to see leave the club?

The Hammer.

For all the Genius of Laudrup and Gazza, Laudrup had decided to move on. Gascoigne, it was maybe better he did.

The Hammer still LOVED this club and looked absolutely gutted to have left. The footage of his wee 'greet' and lip trembling at the Hall of Fame awards shows everything you need to know and would bring a tear to a glass eye.

An absolute Bear at heart. Loved the big man. Still do to this day.

Edit: I'm away for a wee 'greet' myself now.

Last edited:
DJ to Chelsea.

I loved the man but never saw him at his peak.

Jim Bett

I thought he was probably our most consistent player 80-83.

Van Vossen

I thought he would be great in Advocaat's team.

Davie Cooper leaving ruined my 12 year old head. As did Laudrup, Gough, Gascoigne, Hateley, Jelevic, Naismith (particularly in the manner he did) and, more recently, Lewis McLeod.

I know it might seem odd having McLeod in there but he was the one shimmering light in an absolute shit-show and it crushed me for him to leave to keep the lights on.

Albertz, Laudrup, Numan (was willing to take a pay cut but we went embarrassingly low), Arteta (who we unbelievably LOST money on!), Jelavic, Nai£mith (at the time)

Recently it was Candeias. No he wasn’t a legend, he was no Albertz, Laudrup or Gascoigne. But he was known as a journeyman or a mercenary until he came to us and I think he fell in love with the club. He got us and I think he thought of Rangers as his home. Yes he had limitations but I felt he would have been useful and offered us something.

I wasn’t crying when he left but I was sad to see him go. I felt he could haven been part of 55 or a cup.

Albertz. His time was probably up but I loved the big man. I definitely wasn't greeting when he did his lap of honour!

Recently it was Candeias. No he wasn’t a legend, he was no Albertz, Laudrup or Gascoigne. But he was known as a journeyman or a mercenary until he came to us and I think he fell in love with the club. He got us and I think he thought of Rangers as his home. Yes he had limitations but I felt he would have been useful and offered us something.

I wasn’t crying when he left but I was sad to see him go. I felt he could haven been part of 55 or a cup.

He’s been massively missed out wide

Lovenkrands, sure he was close to leaving at least a couple of times before and signed a new contract last minute.

Gazza is the only one I can remember being truly devastated at.

Was listening to TalkSport on the commute home and they were discussing players from their club they hated to see go for either 1) the club they went to (Van Persie to Man Utd) or 2) because they loved the player that much while he was at the club. Who’s everyones player they hated to see leave the club?

Laudrup.

That's it.

All the others had passed their best or it was the right time to move on

Back