Players you hated to see go

Claudia Reyna ..... and not for probably the reasons the post was started for ,He was a good player for us But because he was leaving us for Sunderland ?? WTF ....

Back in the day, Jim Baxter, also Jim Forrest and 'Bud' Johnston. We could have kept them all for a few extra pennies/quid before they left. Plus not making Forrest a scapegoat and getting rid of him in the same season as European Cup Winners Cup Final in 1967 . We would have matched the Lisbon Liars that year, if we had of kept Forrest. He was as good as Morelos is today and without his baggage. Let's be honest here we had a miserly and vindicate set of bar-stewards as our directors and board back then who had no foresight. The rest is history until 1972.

I remember as a boy the headlines in a Sunday Newspaper that me Dad was reading back then where Baxter said 'Ibrox and Rangers Directors are Stagnant' before he left not getting the contract he deserved. Mind you I had to checkout what one of my heroes meant when he said 'Ibrox was stagnant'!

Last edited:
Barry Ferguson for me.. most recent seasons. I was gutted about Barrie McKay leaving then also at the start of this season Daniel Candeias

The end of 2000/01 season was hard to take . One by one we lost Albertz , VanBronckhurst , Tugay and Reyna .
What quality of a midfield to lose in a short space of time .

Laudrup
Jelavic
Most of the admin leavers but Naismith and his subsequent press conference was a real sore one to take, the Judas prick he is

Recently - Candeias

Albertz for me but there's so many. Remember thinking we would be terrible when Gough left before coming back

Would have said Laudrup if he'd left a year before he did. There was talk he was going then, but he stayed. His last season he was being affected by injuries and he was part of the 9iar team that many left at the same time, Goram, McCall etc, so his departure didn't have the same effect.
Baxter would be the one for me, I never got to see him in his prime.

Dado, think he was gutted too when he came onto the pitch to wave goodbye.
Also Cuellar & Bougherra.

Recently it was Candeias. No he wasn’t a legend, he was no Albertz, Laudrup or Gascoigne. But he was known as a journeyman or a mercenary until he came to us and I think he fell in love with the club. He got us and I think he thought of Rangers as his home. Yes he had limitations but I felt he would have been useful and offered us something.

I wasn’t crying when he left but I was sad to see him go. I felt he could haven been part of 55 or a cup.
Absolutely, same here.

Hateley
Laudrup
Gascoigne (even though admittedly he was past it)
The remainder of the 9IAR squad when Advocaat came in, though it was time for them to go)
Lovenkrands
Novo
Cuellar - Honestly believe he could have been a legend.
Jelavic
Aluko
Andy Little
Kenny Miller

Trevor Steven (first time round).

He was superb for us, which is why we got so much money for him when he went.

I was suitably delighted when he returned, so much so it was a 'JFK' moment for me, ie, I still remember where I was when I heard the news. Sadly, as with so many second spells with clubs, it never worked as well as the first.

fleck and drinkell i thought had a lot more to offer. I was gutted when we sold hutton and wonder if our season would've been different had we hung onto him.

Definitely Laudrup, he was just the standout player for a generation. Been sad to see loads of others leave but others come in and take their place. Laudrup was irreplaceable.

Tugay and Albertz was emotional. Laudrup really hurt.

To a lesser extent, losing Aluko was a blow. I'd have liked him to have stayed on.

Back