Players you hated to see go

McCoist. Along with Cooper (who I was also gutted to see leave us), they were my two boyhood idols.

The time was right for McCoist to go, but that was tough to see my hero bowing out empty handed that season.

As a kid I remember being gutted when Jimmy Nicholl left us. Think he got sent off in his farewell game as well.

Willie Henderson, he was only 27!
Bud Johnston, in his prime.
Bobby Russell, we kept Cammy Fraser ffs!
Davie Cooper, no explanation req'd
Terry Butcher
Gazza,although on the wane could've made the difference between winning/losing 10.
Laudrup, a genius.
Albertz, loved him
Tugay, rated him.
Fergie, our leader and a great player.

Barrie McKay, he had the lot but.....

Was absolutely gutted when Davie Cooper, Graeme Souness, Mark Walters & Chris Woods all left.

I've been disappointed to see other players leaving the club (Cuellar & Papac possibly being the main 2) but nowhere near the levels of seeing the other 4 leave.

Was listening to TalkSport on the commute home and they were discussing players from their club they hated to see go for either 1) the club they went to (Van Persie to Man Utd) or 2) because they loved the player that much while he was at the club. Who’s everyones player they hated to see leave the club?

In modern day Rangers players:

Waghorn as he had a lot of potential (which he has since shown)
Andy Little - felt he was given a pretty rotten end considering the partnership he had struck up with Jig.
Then latterly - Kenny Miller and Lee Wallace - that still stinks to the high heavens.

Recently it was Candeias. No he wasn’t a legend, he was no Albertz, Laudrup or Gascoigne. But he was known as a journeyman or a mercenary until he came to us and I think he fell in love with the club. He got us and I think he thought of Rangers as his home. Yes he had limitations but I felt he would have been useful and offered us something.

I wasn’t crying when he left but I was sad to see him go. I felt he could haven been part of 55 or a cup.
100% agree, we have let players leave in recent years that confuse the life out of me, and this was one of them.

Graham Roberts. I was only 9 at the time but was gutted when he left.

Wished Gabriel Amato had stayed longer. So skilful and strong on the ball.

Couldn't believe when Davie Cooper, my boyhood hero left.

Colin Stein and Willie Johnstone.
Both boyhood hero's.

Will get dogs abuse for this as hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Sir Brian Laudrup should have been allowed to go after nine.:(

100% agree, we have let players leave in recent years that confuse the life out of me, and this was one of them.

Gerrard never fancied him from the start. Remember him getting left out alot when he arrived. Think 99% of us would have kept him. And more than me were scratching their heads when we let him go.

Butcher. Lead us to so much success but Souness wasn't blinded by loyalty. He knew he was done and had to go.

Sad that he's forgotten what we gave him during his time at Ibrox

Laudrup, Alberto, Gazza, McCoist, Barry Ferguson.

Besudes admin, I’ve never feared for us more than when Sir Walter of Smith departed the second time.

Was raging when Hutton left. He looked like he was going on to be one of the best right backs in the world at the time.

In hindsight seemed to be a purple patch for Hutton and Broadfoot and Whittaker ended up doing fine.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ll be as gutted whenever Alfie Leaves

Aye, definitely.

Business wise it’ll be an excellent move, but he’s the first foreigner in a long time the fans have collectively classed as their own.

Cooper going to Motherwell was a bloody sad and heartbreaking day.
Tugay could have been a superstar with us, genuinely couldn’t understand how this was allowed to happen.

Tugay. Thought he was a cracking player who we never utilised enough.
He left after collecting 3 MOTM's in a row (if my memory serves me correctly).
He was a fantastic midfielder but played as sweeper in a few games and was sensational for us.

Back