Players you loved who maybe weren't that great

.....so obectively not that good but you took to them.

When I was very young I liked Ian Redford, as well as Jardine, Russell and Cooper, and the rest...but his tragic suicide threw up some comments about how most people (player included) felt he had never quite won fans over or played at his best. Perhaps harsh but my images don't seem to tally with folk who were there.

Later on I had some bizarre beliefs: Alan Lowing was as good as Hutton. I believed fully in Peter Van Vossen when he signed. I suspected Emerson would be great for us.

But a genuienly odd one was Mo Edu...I believed that our fans just didn't understand the 'Makele role' and WHY he never went to ground or got stuck in. I elevated him to a misunderstood genius. Really liked him despite him being decried every week by everyone else?!?!

Anyone you took to who perhaps was no-one else's #1?
Stuart Munro (Terry's wee bro)

I maybe worded that badly. What I meant was in terms of the regard he’s held in relative to those two, by large swathes of the support.

You need to point those people out so they can be ridiculed and bopped about the head.

Robertson was very close to Numan levels, a bit above Borna levels and streets ahead of Papac and Munro.

I love all four of them, by the way. No two the same but all great in their own right.

Jim Stewart remains one of my favourite goalkeepers

I also was a Van Vossen fan and thought he would flourish when Advocaat arrived.

I thought Dean Shiels and Nicky Law were good enough for Rangers in the SPL.

And Halliday and Greg Stewart.
All about opinions. Greg Stewart is the only one out of these that I would have chosen.

All about opinions. Greg Stewart is the only one out of these that I would have chosen.

Thread title?

I think we all have a blindspot, a naivety and a misplaced loyalty when it comes to some players.

From 2012 until this season we were all desperate to cling on to something.

George McLean, he used to get pelters from many but his scoring record was outstanding.
Then again he could look like he'd never played the game and at other times would look like a worli beater, all within a 20 minute period
When we signed Alex Ferguson, it showed what a good player big Dandy was.

Joe Mason
Johnny Hamilton.
More recently Jason Holt for his effort in every game
Bob Malcolm, Andy Little and Andy Halliday for being good bluenoses.

Willie Mathieson, Barcelona Bear.

I was too young to be a good judge of a player back then and revered all Rangers players.

I'd be interested to get the views of older Bears about how good or not Willie actually was.
Mathieson played 281 games for the club. He was at the club from 1960 until 1975, played under 4 different managers, Symon, White, Waddell and Wallace. Was part of our ECWC winning team and our 1973 Scottish Cup winning team, in fact it was his pass on the left hand side to MacDonald which led to our equaliser from Derek Parlane. You don't get to play under 4 managers at Rangers for all those years unless you have something about you. He was a very capable and reliable player for us over 11 seasons as a first team player

Soft spot for John macdonald and Bobby Russel as boyhood heroes , no idea how they’d compare in the modern game but I thought they were class as a boy . Then guys like Monroe and Vidmar I always liked despite them never being fans favourites .

Would love to have seen how good Oleg Kuznetsov would have been, if it had not have been for that injury against St Mirren
0_Oleg-Kuznetsov.jpg
ov
The injury was against St.Johnstone, his first game cwas v St. Mirren where the strolled through the game. A true world class player that we never got anywhere near his best

The thread is about our opinions, not the manager's. I happen to agree Stewart could have got a bit more game time instead of others.

Lighten up big chap.
I get it’s a messageboard for us all to air our opinions, but ultimately if you’re of the belief that Stewart wasn’t given enough opportunity you are actually questioning the manager’s judgment, which after one of the most successful seasons in our entire history - arguably the best ever in the league, in fact - sounds more than a little bit daft.

I quite liked Stewart, but it was obvious to me quite early on that he didn’t quite have the ability to cement a starting place for himself and that when he was given opportunities he never really took them as emphatically as hoped.

You, the poster I replied to and one or two others obviously feel differently, which is fine, but I think after the season we’ve just had I’m personally going to go with the manager on this one.

Went to school with my mum.One of those family facts that whenever he was mentioned I was told for try umpteenth time he went to school with your mum. :rolleyes:
I was at Johnny’s funeral at Daldowie, a host of ex-players were there and some of the current management at that time. McCoist & Hateley were there. We were heading back to the Tannochside Olde club for refreshments and one of the attendees said to Ally are you coming along for a wee drink, Ally replies no I can’t manage, quick as a flash the big guy asking the question...yeah we know you cannae! But are you still coming along for a drink!!
it was a good laugh!!!!

I still maintain Hamid Namouchi was unfairly judged by our fans.

Id say Edu as well but i think everyone realises now that he was actually really good. Think he would be brilliant in the current team.
On Namouchi I completely agree, I thought he was brilliant in the 2 old firm games at Ibrox in Nov 2004. As for Edu he was a very good player for us, stuck around to try get us a fee in 2012 such a shame injuries ended his career early. Also robbed of a perfectly good goal at the world cup

I get it’s a messageboard for us all to air our opinions, but ultimately if you’re of the belief that Stewart wasn’t given enough opportunity you are actually questioning the manager’s judgment, which after one of the most successful seasons in our entire history - arguably the best ever in the league, in fact - sounds more than a little bit daft.

I quite liked Stewart, but it was obvious to me quite early on that he didn’t quite have the ability to cement a starting place for himself and that when he was given opportunities he never really took them as emphatically as hoped.

You, the poster I replied to and one or two others obviously feel differently, which is fine, but I think after the season we’ve just had I’m personally going to go with the manager on this one.
Take a chill pill son. The title of the thread is about players you liked but weren’t actually that great. It’s a sharing of our bampottery not lauding the indefensible. Nobody has named Baxter, Laudrup or Alfie. It’s about the wonderful blinkered views of brother Bears. A wee laugh.

Josh Windass scored something like 16 goals in a team that was utterly sh’ite. Always thought he was a bit harshly treated

The injury was against St.Johnstone, his first game cwas v St. Mirren where the strolled through the game. A true world class player that we never got anywhere near his best
Rattled the post with a thunderbolt in the first half from about 20 yards. My old man was raging as he had Kuznetsov in the bus sweep!

Oleg Salenko for me, I absolutely loved the guy and would always stick up for him when he was getting pelters.
I was on a blitz looking up old players's stats last year and was surprised by Salenko's strike rate. Admittedly a very small number of games, but he put a few away. Just a shame it didn't work out.

Bjorklund for me. I always thought he was a cracking player and loved him at Ibrox. Absolutely rapid as well. Hardly under rated but I do remember being gutted when he moved on. Also liked Stale Stensaas even though was never first choice.
I'd say Bjorklund was fairly underrated.

You have massively misjudged this thread :))

I always liked Tony Vidmar, wasn’t the best by a long shot, but I liked his attitude, ales gave his all and seemed genuinely delighted to play for us.

Back