Players you wanted to be a Success - but didn’t happen

interesting fact about Pena

he literally hasn’t scored a goal since leaving Rangers
Other interesting facts:

He plays in an unofficial Mexican League.
He plays in a league where it's 2 points for a win and 0 for a draw.
He plays in a league that has a team called Morelos FC.

Friday afternoon wiki for me.

Ended up a disaster.

Warbuton was a wet wipe in hindsight was never gonna work out with Barton as loud mouthed as he was.

Barton thought he would skoosh it and never prepared properly in pre season.

I was at game at Piggery where Barton ended up playing in the middle of a back 3 absolute madness.
I do wonder if Barton would‘ve worked under Gerrard. He wouldn’t challenge Gerrard like he challenged Warburton

I want every player we sign to be the next Laudrup

Don't care where they come from who they are if they buy into what we are like Laudrup, albertz prso, stevie G just get the job done and become a hero

Peter Van Vossen
Greg Docherty
Jordan Rossitor
Basil Boli
Ross McCrorrie
Oleg Kusnetsov
Seb Rozental

One that hasn’t been mentioned yet, Grezda seemed like another Balkan bargain at first. His Wyscout video looked really good and it looked like he’d be one we could sell on if he kicked on.

Currently with the team who are 10th in the 2nd Division in Mexico. Total waster.
Actually scrub that, they let him go on a free transfer and he moved to a team who have had to reform after being kicked out of the league so he's in an even lower division.

Gabriel Amato. Sublimely talented and his arrow to the main stand after scoring against the mentally challengeds will live forever in the memory.

Cumdog was just an idiot
But he was our idiot

Laff is the other one, again, a loveable idiot

both bundles of talent & knew how to find the net

I genuinely thought Cardoso and Herrera were going to be fantastic when they first signed based on their look alone.

I wanted big David Bates to come good as well.

Herrera, Docherty.

Strangely also used to love Velicka when I was a wee guy, always wanted to see more of him.

Andy Kennedy
Iain Ferguson
Gordon Boyd
Alex O’Hara
Sebo
And Super Ally before he was Super, so at least one worked out well.
You must be from the same era as me mate!
I played amateur football alongside Gordon Boyd (what a striking partnership that was!) ;) and Alex O'Hara was head and shoulders above all his peers at that time when he was with Drumchapel Amateurs.
I really thought that Gordon and Alex would go on to great things when they signed for Rangers but for various reasons it just didn't happen for them.
They were the standout players at amateur level at that time and that included players like Alex McLeish and Tommy Burns....and indeed myself! :)

Kuznetsov is a good shout.

A real class act at Kiev and spoken of as the Russian Beckenbauer. Souness felt it was players like him who would propel us to European success and he was sensational on his debut only to then get seriously injured in the next (ACL, I think) and that was pretty much it for him save for the odd comeback cameo which did at least include a cracking strike against the Beasts at Parkhead.

Sebo. Big battering ram type look, just the touch of a man wearing his shoes on the wrong feet

Kuznetsov is a good shout.

A real class act at Kiev and spoken of as the Russian Beckenbauer. Souness felt it was players like him who would propel us to European success and he was sensational on his debut only to then get seriously injured in the next (ACL, I think) and that was pretty much it for him save for the odd comeback cameo which did at least include a cracking strike against the Beasts at Parkhead.
I remember his very first tackle at Ibrox (I can't recall who it was against) but I just thought...wow!
The timing, skill and aggression was there for all to see...he'd have been a sensational signing for us if he hadn't broken his leg and sadly never got back to the player he was.

Odd choices IMO

Aluko 12 goals in 21 games

Carlos was a more than decent player for us too!

Fair enough mate ... should maybe have clarified that both stays were of course cut short because of circumstance. All things being normal, I thought both had big futures with us.

Didn't hurt that both got what being a Ranger was all about. Thought Aluko was a much, much better player than he ever got credit for.

Just noticed another thread on the board that mentioned another candidate for players you wanted to be successful...Sone Aluko!
A genuine talent that had you on the edge of your seat whenever he got on the ball!

Actually scrub that, they let him go on a free transfer and he moved to a team who have had to reform after being kicked out of the league so he's in an even lower division.
He’s playing in a league recognised by CONIFA (de facto countries organisation) rather than FIFA I read somewhere.

Back