Players you wanted to be a Success - but didn’t happen

Fair enough mate ... should maybe have clarified that both stays were of course cut short because of circumstance. All things being normal, I thought both had big futures with us.

Didn't hurt that both got what being a Ranger was all about. Thought Aluko was a much, much better player than he ever got credit for.
Would have loved to see them both stay

Aluko was terrific, another free transfer (compo apart) that wouldn’t be out of place under current regime. In fact I think aluko would have thrived.

Recently Rossiter, after Progres when he was thrown to do the media and conducted himself so well. Really wanted him to become a part of a better era.

Thinking back I had a soft spot for Dean Shiels. Good lad.

I always thought Francis Jeffers would've been a huge success up here but was a real let down in the end.

Also remember years ago we signed a guy called Nieto, probably only coz he was Argentinian but I was really hoping we'd unearthed the new Batistuta or something but he was a total flop.

I remember his very first tackle at Ibrox (I can't recall who it was against) but I just thought...wow!
The timing, skill and aggression was there for all to see...he'd have been a sensational signing for us if he hadn't broken his leg and sadly never got back to the player he was.
St. Mirren. We won 5-0 and he was MOTM.

Sebo lol
In all seriousness anyone have a player to mind that they can share with us ?
Most Recently Greg Doc for me
Templeton is another that I thought he would be better than what he was.
And Myles Beerman for me, such a shame, but it’s foootball.
Lassana Coulibaly.

Looked the part until he got several Scottish "coming togethers". His top level career probably ended because he was seen as fair game by opposition, and referees in this league.

Sebo lol
Everyone we’ve ever signed

Yeah but i thought he'd be Super Ally type successful, he was Dalgleishesque in the way he could turn defenders but he seemed to lose that when we made him more "physical".
I loved him and i agree i thought he was special
Still the memories of that night v Inter will always be there. Nice to hear him on RTV one of us
Lived our dream.

Recently:

Halliday
Waghorn
Mckay
Holt
Cummings
Barton
Forrester

Hell, the whole Warburton team. All likeable characters and brought a breath of fresh air to the place.

Further back:

Andy Little
Rhys McCabe
Kyle Hutton

Everyone? Why would any Rangers supporter not want a Rangers player to be a success.
I had a real dislike of Pedro Mendes.
Half arsed effort in so so many games.

So fast forward a few years and the greasy haired charlatan brings us none other than his namesake, and literally the second worst managerial appointment in our history.

Another vote for Cummings, prob just cos it took him that long to arrive and I was wanting him to come to us when he was leaving Hibs

Did alright compared to others who didn't quite make it.

Big Dunc, I remember being gutted when he went to Everton.

Sebo, of course.

Andy Halliday. He had such a rollercoaster with us, so happy when he played a heroic role in the 1-0 game. Apart from the block, taking out that wanker Lustig and then giving him afters was magnificent.

Peter van Vossen is another.

John Fleck - obviously he’s made it, but I really wanted him to be a modern day version of Durrant.

Christ, I could go on forever!

Seem to remember him coming in and doing relatively well then losing is place to a fit again Gordon Durie. I don't think Durie performed as well as Bo Anderson, when he came back in. Stunk as an "old pals act" kind of move to me at the time

2 names I’ve seen here, Mols and Kuznetsov...

Mols especially had already proven himself as a star player until he got injured in Munich. No way should he not be called a success.

Kuznetsov showed against St Mirren how good he was, then got crocked at Perth and that was him. But his transfer, I have absolutely no doubt, would have been one of our better ones.

These guys don’t deserve to be named in a thread of players who should have made a bigger impact, had no real excuse not to, but couldn’t.

Guys like Thern... Stensaas.... Sebo.... all played massively below our hopes and expectations. The only memory I have of Thern is a rocket against the Tims, the rest was strictly “whatever”. Stensaas had played in a decent Rosenborg team in the CL, he played like a non leaguer with boots on backwards. Sebo tried, but just never hit the heights.

Loads: Boli, Guivarch, Rosenthal, Kuznetsov, Clement, Jeffers, Boyd in his second spell, Bartram, Stensaas.
Not in any way having a go but why did you particularly want these players to succeed? For me from your list it would be Kuznetzov just because he was such a good player. Probably regarded in the wide world of football as world class before he came to us. Clement was skilful and somehow likeable so I get that.
Boli I just thought would be a success; a brilliant but very hard defender in the SPL - what's not to succeed!
So asking conversationalyl why that group of players?

I wouldn’t call him a failure, but for a long time I really hoped Thomas Buffel would kick on and show more than he did.

I met him not long after he signed and he seemed a great guy. He regularly showed flashes of real quality and put in some great performances but I don’t think he lived up to the potential he had.

Might seem odd choices but two guys who really played their hearts out for Rangers but lacked the skill to be top notch were Cammy Fraser and Colin McAdam.

100% If he was still at us when we win 55 you’d see what it means to him
You will anyway bud ..that's a fact ! but I know what you mean ,I would love for him to be still in amongst the squad if we were to go on and win the 55 this year for what it would mean for him ...
But am pretty sure he will celebrate as we all will .

Ended up a disaster.

Warbuton was a wet wipe in hindsight was never gonna work out with Barton as loud mouthed as he was.

Barton thought he would skoosh it and never prepared properly in pre season.

I was at game at Piggery where Barton ended up playing in the middle of a back 3 absolute madness.
I do wonder at times about just what Warburton expected with Barton.
The guy is known to be a dominant personality in a dressing room, challenging for his teammates and the coaching staff... for all that Barton went about it in the wrong way, and certainly didn’t make an impact with his own performances - he clearly saw through Warburton in a matter of weeks.

Why did Warburton invite that?

Recent players... Halliday, McCrorie, Candeias.

Going back a bit.. Derek Ferguson, Tom Cowan, John Spencer, Oleg Kutznetsov, Peter Van Vossen, Jeremy (?) Clement.

That clutch of youngsters who were coming through around 2010-12 who were caught up in the Admin and then the pressure of getting back up the leagues and never really has a settled environment - McLeod, Hutton, Fleck, Gasparotto... at a different time maybe a few of them make it into a settled team.

Sebo lol
Every player that wasn’t a success I think is my answer!

Can't mind his name and but the big lanky streak of pish we took on loan from Roma. Apparently he has stepped up his game though and Man U I'm sure were linked with him.

Not a failure, but wish he had a longer career, Alan McLaren.
Duncan Ferguson. He was the only striker that could rough it up with our defence. It just never happened. Injuries, the carry on with John McStay and the treatment by the SFA and the club could probably have done better. On his day unplayable, but I think he only did that on occasions at Everton.

Not in any way having a go but why did you particularly want these players to succeed? For me from your list it would be Kuznetzov just because he was such a good player. Probably regarded in the wide world of football as world class before he came to us. Clement was skilful and somehow likeable so I get that.
Boli I just thought would be a success; a brilliant but very hard defender in the SPL - what's not to succeed!
So asking conversationalyl why that group of players?
Boil: thought and hoped he’d improve our defence to go on a good European run like that of the 92/93 season
Kuznetsov: one of the first players of the Souness era that was meant to improve our performances in Europe with a different style of play from the mainly British squad we had.
Rozental: he was scouted by Dalglish and was one of the first signings post ENIC investment which felt like a new era.
Clement: I wanted Le Guen to build a team around him.
Guivarch: Came near the beginning of the Advocaat era and was in a very strong France squad. Hoped he score loads here.
Bartram: we didn’t have many foreigners at the time and as a kid he just looked like a god
Stensaas: a new left back signed at a time where we were starting to sign a lot of foreigners after the Bosman ruling and I’d hoped that would help us progress in Europe. I wanted a him to be the left back to finally replace David Robertson.
Jeffers: naively thought he’d be a success here given his reputation as a youngster
Boyd: he really should have blasted us through that league had he applied himself. Yes I know the rest of the squad were poor and Ally wasn’t the best at management, but Boyd should still have scored a lot more second time.

Back