Players you wanted to be a Success - but didn’t happen

Rozental for me. I wonder how good he would have been but for the injury that pretty much ruined his career. Similar story with Kuznetsov. More random maybe but Gary McSwegan. When he broke into the side as a youngster I thought he’d make it with us. Nobody can take that header away from him against Marseille. Brilliant.

Boil: thought and hoped he’d improve our defence to go on a good European run like that of the 92/93 season
Kuznetsov: one of the first players of the Souness era that was meant to improve our performances in Europe with a different style of play from the mainly British squad we had.
Rozental: he was scouted by Dalglish and was one of the first signings post ENIC investment which felt like a new era.
Clement: I wanted Le Guen to build a team around him.
Guivarch: Came near the beginning of the Advocaat era and was in a very strong France squad. Hoped he score loads here.
Bartram: we didn’t have many foreigners at the time and as a kid he just looked like a god
Stensaas: a new left back signed at a time where we were starting to sign a lot of foreigners after the Bosman ruling and I’d hoped that would help us progress in Europe. I wanted a him to be the left back to finally replace David Robertson.
Jeffers: naively thought he’d be a success here given his reputation as a youngster
Boyd: he really should have blasted us through that league had he applied himself. Yes I know the rest of the squad were poor and Ally wasn’t the best at management, but Boyd should still have scored a lot more second time.
Thanks for the excellent reply mate! For me Stensaas, Jeffers and Guivarch just were not up to it. Clement had flashes of quality. Kuznetzov was the one that got me. Lobanovski (spelling?) the Russian/USSR manager said when Kuznetzov got booked in the semi final of Euro 88 meaning he would miss the final; (something like) I knew without him we would not win the final, he was the only one capable of marking Van Basten out of the game.
Oleg was a superb defender but even better as a ball playing defender who could set up attacks.

Zurab Khizanishvili, Georgian defender.
We bought him from Dundee in 2003. A defensive player who looked good early on but just didn't happen.

Rossiter
Murphy (under Gerrard))
And from the the past, Dragan Mladenovic. I thought he was gonna be a cracker

Great thread to show up people who can't spot a player-it's one thing to n excited about a player it's another to see him in the flesh and go...er that's a bit worrying....

For me the biggest is probably Flo albeit his career with us wasn't a disaster if you come in at a 12M fee I would have wanted that to cement a title winning squad....didn't happen.

Seb Rosenthal what was it £4.5m or something, I actually got to see him play at Ibrox in one of his few games.

Before the YouTube days but his highlight reel on Scotland Tonight made him look superb.

Was it him Ally was supposed to have said couldn’t trap a bag of cement?

Before the YouTube days but his highlight reel on Scotland Tonight made him look superb.

Don’t know if it was him Ally said that about but I remember watching him try to run down the left channel and thinking that I could have run faster, the boy was carrying an extra bit of timber and needed a hairdresser :D

Jerome Rothen.

Further proof that if I get someone’s name on the back of my shirt, it’s as good as the end of their career.

Lafferty second round was a disappointment. Thought he had screwed the nut but evidently not.

Rosenthal's touch was not the problem. Every other thing about his game was the problem. Although he played so little it was hard to judge what was so poor about his game.

Aways thought Jordan Thompson would have come good had he been afforded more time than he was given. Always thought he looked promising from the few appearances he had.

I had a real dislike of Pedro Mendes.
Half arsed effort in so so many games.

So fast forward a few years and the greasy haired charlatan brings us none other than his namesake, and literally the second worst managerial appointment in our history.
Second Worst?

Has any Rangers fan ever wanted a Rangers player not to be successful? That'd be a bit weird! There's been players we've signed that I felt were bad buys but still hoped to be proved wrong.

Has there ever been a player you didn't want to be a success? Surely we want all of them to be successful
Kenny Miller second time round. Stick your Kenny Miller up your arse. Then he went on to have one of the best seasons I have saw from a striker a couple of years later.

he was almost unplayable that season. Shows you what I know.

Dorrans, Rossiter, Barton. All 3 could have been really influential players for us.

I remember think Oliver Bernard would be a great signing for us. That 2005/06 season was awful with the exception of the CL run.

Just had a look at our transfers in that year - Boyd and Hemdani stand out, a few alright ones like Murray or Rodriguez, but when you look at the rest - Pierre FanFan, Nguessan, Bernard, Jeffers, Ashokodi...what were our scouts thinking?!

Namouchi - took some amount of stick.
Doc and McCrorie - did their best.
Rozenthal - injured.
Adamcuk - Advocaat never played him.

Namouchi - took some amount of stick.
Doc and McCrorie - did their best.
Rozenthal - injured.
Adamcuk - Advocaat never played him.
Adamzcuk played a lot in the first few months of the 99-00 season up until around the Dortmund UEFA cup ties. He ended up suffering from depression and went awol with a leg injury.

Josh Windass, boy could have been a cracking player but I think he thinks he is better than is. Should have got the head down and worked hard and he could have been a cracking attacking midfielder imo

Back