Players you wish we kept for longer

Kevin Thomson, always saw him as our future captain. I wish we’d hung onto Davie Robertson for the failed 10 in a row season too.

Releasing Arveladze on a bosman at 31 was a bit of a strange one. He was a classy player and went on to play for another 5/6 years and score a bagful.
Downsizing IMO, he was on a hefty wage.

Scored 22 league goals the following season, arguably the most misused player at Rangers in my lifetime.

Left wing in a 4-2-4 or whatever formation, should have been through the middle.

Was thinking about this earlier today when my old man reminded me of Jeremy Clement. Thought he looked decent and left with Le Guen to join PSG after only being with us for 6 months.

Another one was Kenny Miller 2nd time round. Im sure he scored 22 goals by Jan in 2011. We ended up winning the league, but with Miller i think we would of won the treble

Lastly Alan Hutton. 9M great business at the time but he looked unplayable that season. Him in that Uefa cup final instead of Broadfoot please.

Any more?

Namouchi. I'm being totally serious as well. He was a good squad player, and Eck got a tune out of him in big games in a similar way to Sir Alex and Park Ji Sung. Often featured in Old Firms and played in our entire CL run 05/06 I think. I always thought PLG would turn him into a player, but he left that summer.

In hindsight, I think he'd have been a good Wattie player, industrious, full of running, committed to the cause. Never a first pick, but a reliable squad option.

Was thinking about this earlier today when my old man reminded me of Jeremy Clement. Thought he looked decent and left with Le Guen to join PSG after only being with us for 6 months.

Another one was Kenny Miller 2nd time round. Im sure he scored 22 goals by Jan in 2011. We ended up winning the league, but with Miller i think we would of won the treble

Lastly Alan Hutton. 9M great business at the time but he looked unplayable that season. Him in that Uefa cup final instead of Broadfoot please.

Any more?
Tugay - sold him far too soon

Arthur Numan still had plenty miles left in the tank when he retired. He'd certainly done enough to earn another contract in my eyes.

Any more?
Alfie conn and Gordon Smith

Arthur Numan still had plenty miles left in the tank when he retired. He'd certainly done enough to earn another contract in my eyes.
Rangers were the only team he wanted to continue playing for, said to Bain/McLelland (can’t remember who) that he was prepared to take a pay cut due to the situation.

They came back and offered him 25% of his current deal, he then rejected it out of principle because they were taking the piss.

Turned down an offer from Villarreal as well.

McKay,

We have stumbled around wingers the last few years all of a quite similar profile and few have actually been as good as he was.

Easily capable of contributing as much as the likes of Dalcio, Grezda, Barker, Jones, Hastie and Ojo have or did.

Arveladze for me. He was an absolutely immense player who we persisted in playing out of position. Went on to play at a good level for a few more years.

More recently and on a different level, I think Waghorn could have been developed into something of use for the squad at that time. He went down south and banged them in for a few years, always liked his attitude. Better coaching around him, he would never have been a world beater but useful.

Too many to mention in all honesty.

Davie Robertson, although he was with us a long time was a sore one. I think he saw it as time for a new challenge and a crack at the EPL, which is fair enough, but would still loved to have had him a season or two more.

Huistra - As above. Only he went to Japan, which accounts for my to this day keen but bizarre interest in the J-League.

Arveladze - Bosman, which was ridiculous, although suppose it coincided with us cutting budgets.

Tugay - A Rolls Royce of a player who wasnt given the playing time he deserved, went on to star for Blackburn of all teams.

Kevin Thompson - A victim of downsizing perhaps, but still annoyed at his departure.

Gazza - Even seeing out the season would have done me. Wasnt the player he was in the seasons before, but Im convinced he would have still done the business as the season went on.

Was going to say Umar Sadiq, but looking at his record since he's not really done much.

Going back in time, selling Gordon Smith and letting Sandy Jardine and Alex Mcdonald leave for Hearts was madness.

Was going to say Umar Sadiq, but looking at his record since he's not really done much.

Going back in time, selling Gordon Smith and letting Sandy Jardine and Alex Mcdonald leave for Hearts was madness.
Sadiq’s been pretty good since leaving us, scored 4 in 6 in the EL groups, scored well in the Serbian league and in Spain.

He wasn’t our player to keep to be fair.

Realistic choice would have been Waghorn. Thought he was class for us in the Championship but just needed a bit more time to get used to the Premiership. Honestly reckon he would have been even better for us had he been given time.

Any more?
Gascoigne and we have 10

Namouchi. I'm being totally serious as well. He was a good squad player, and Eck got a tune out of him in big games in a similar way to Sir Alex and Park Ji Sung. Often featured in Old Firms and played in our entire CL run 05/06 I think. I always thought PLG would turn him into a player, but he left that summer.

In hindsight, I think he'd have been a good Wattie player, industrious, full of running, committed to the cause. Never a first pick, but a reliable squad option.
He went through his career as a player who scored close to 1 in every 3 games which is a pretty damn good record for a distinctly average midfielder.

Another shout for Aluko. Thought he was a bright spark for us.

Jelavic for sure, he was absolutely top drawer.

Cuellar.

Maybe it's worth me digging out some YouTube videos on his career. Don't tend to look at stuff pre 90's to be honest.
the ruud gullit interview is funny.... Gullit was shocked at how good he was. Ruud couldnt believe how there could be a player as good technically as Cooper that he had never heard of. He was like how the hell is this guy not playing for Milan

He went through his career as a player who scored close to 1 in every 3 games which is a pretty damn good record for a distinctly average midfielder.

I don't think his Wiki stats for us are accurate. I think he only scored 6 goals total, and certainly not 11 in the league.

Would love to get a video of his goal vs Dundee Utd in the last minute when Klos was up.

Duncan Ferguson and Sone Aluko.
Big Dunc especially. He was treated disgracefully.

Waghorn
I think he'd have definitely done a good job for us with better coaches and players around him
More like better players. Waghorn would have been a better player with both this kind of midfield behind him, and as Tavernier progressed to become a fine player.

Back