Players you wish we kept for longer

Jim Forrest --We would have won the ECWC in 1967.Jim Baxter--should have gave him the wages he wanted. Sandy Jardine/Alex Mcdonald-Let them go far to early.Alan Hutton-- Brilliant full back

Cuellar, Boumsong and John Fleck.

A more up to date one is Gilmour but then again there is no way he would of developed as well up here.

this is the winner, we never got to see what he was really capable off, played him out of position and in the end moved due to differences with Advocaat. So it was a gutter not to see the best of him, even worse when we let him go for peanuts and effectively just got rid of him.
Is this not with a lot of hindsight though?.

By all accounts, Rino never looked like having the career he was going to have and he wasn’t dislodging Gio, Barry, Albertz or Reyna who appeared in April 99.

I imagine at the time, getting £4m for a guy who was probably viewed as a squad player - was good business.

Cannes captain, Coupe De France runner up, promoted to Ligue 1 with a record setting clean sheet record. But, aye, patter.
How many Ligue 1 games did he play, and out of curiosity who was he Coupe De France runner up with?.

I’m not sure a guy who’s highest level is Ligue 2 in France, can be viewed as a great loss.

Last edited:
I thought Caniggia had another year in him, despite his age. This might be a reaction to how awful his willy-flashing replacement, Capucho, was.

Laudrup and Albertz. Laudrup in an Advocaat side would have been a sight, genuinely think we could have achieved something in Europe if we had a player like Brian around the place at that time. Albertz under Big Eck would have been excellent to see as well. Those are the two most obvious ones.

Wish we got another season out of Claudio Caniggia. He was one my favourites as a young lad. Shota Arveladze too, been mentioned already but I'd love to have seen Shota play through the middle more often. Was excellent during his time in Holland, doing just that. Was gutted when both left. Numan was another one. The cost cutting era was brutal.

Big Carlos Cuellar should have stayed to win a title imo. Bet he wishes he did too. Understandable given the fee at the time but nevertheless, one more year would have been great. That said, we likely wouldn't have got Boughy, who I also adored.

Martyn Waghorn would have faired well under Gerrard I reckon, probably wouldn't have been a first team player by this point, but I always had a soft spot for him. It's just a pity his mental health got on top of him during that first season back in the top flight. In a better team, with better coaching, I think he had the ability to shine.

I hardly remember Rino Gattuso's time at Rangers, but you get the feeling that Milan made him and forged him into the player he was. So it's debatable if he'd have achieved much if he stayed longer at Rangers. Especially when you consider the embarrassment of riches we had in his position.

More like better players. Waghorn would have been a better player with both this kind of midfield behind him, and as Tavernier progressed to become a fine player.
Yeah that's what I said players, but better coaches /management make a huge difference to players development.

I haven't read the threads from the start, so apologies if already mentioned.

Alfie Conn is one that sticks out for me.

The much criticised Daniel Candeais.

Had good numbers for goals and assists and brought out the best in Alfie

Carlos Cuellar
Jean Alain Boumsong
Gabriel Amato
Twoguys Kerrymerglue
Mikel Arteta
Thomas Buffel
Michael Ball
Erik Bo Andersen
Dado Prso
Claudio Caniggia

My choice is daft given folk are mentioning players like Laudrup and Gattuso, but at the time, I would've liked to see Alan Gow stay a bit longer with a run in the team as I though there might've been a player there.

His form after he left us suggests not, I know.

Was thinking about this earlier today when my old man reminded me of Jeremy Clement. Thought he looked decent and left with Le Guen to join PSG after only being with us for 6 months.

Another one was Kenny Miller 2nd time round. Im sure he scored 22 goals by Jan in 2011. We ended up winning the league, but with Miller i think we would of won the treble

Lastly Alan Hutton. 9M great business at the time but he looked unplayable that season. Him in that Uefa cup final instead of Broadfoot please.

Any more?
Kevin Drinkell and Robert Fleck . We didn’t need Mo Johnston , that was souness

My choice is daft given folk are mentioning players like Laudrup and Gattuso, but at the time, I would've liked to see Alan Gow stay a bit longer with a run in the team as I though there might've been a player there.

His form after he left us suggests not, I know.

He ended up in Iran I think.

I mention that as like yourself I had high hopes for him, but after us he never achieved much.

Was thinking about this earlier today when my old man reminded me of Jeremy Clement. Thought he looked decent and left with Le Guen to join PSG after only being with us for 6 months.

Another one was Kenny Miller 2nd time round. Im sure he scored 22 goals by Jan in 2011. We ended up winning the league, but with Miller i think we would of won the treble

Lastly Alan Hutton. 9M great business at the time but he looked unplayable that season. Him in that Uefa cup final instead of Broadfoot please.

Any more?
Baxter.

They'd av never got 9

Any more?
Cant agree with any of those three.
Clement looked good because in a shite team.
Huttons price tag meant the time was right.
Miller had ‘peaked’ much earlier.

I’d go with Carlos Cuellar & Laudrup,
I’d have given Gazza until the summer.
Boumsong although his sale financed Barry, Buffell, Kygriakos and the Dutch keeper who was good with both feet.

Latest posts

Back