Playing backwards

Most of the time we play facing our own goals. Forward passes are generally to players with their backs to the goal. Very little forward momentum

Absolutely dreadful. We look like a team playing with the handbrake on. Too many players first instinct is to turn back. Mcmanaman mentioned it a few times. Thing is, you could see the difference when we put a wee bit of pressure on them in the last 10 minutes. They’re not great at the back. Listen, we’d have taken a hiding anyway, but we’d have had a go at least. The players need to believe in themselves a bit more.

Ffs at one point we had kent heading towards our goal and winning a foul in our box .It’s like a competition to see who can pass it back to shagger the most .

We’ve got about 400 defensive midfielders and haven’t had a right winger for years.

It’s a horrendous balance and it’s made even worse by such a negative manager, we are signing players who don’t fix that problem.

Kamara did really well to intercept a pass late in the game around halfway. Had nobody within 10 yards of him and a teammate available for a forward pass. Ball went all the way back. It's depressing.

Kamara's back pass to McGregor summed it up.
Rather than try to play or create something- a 30 yd back pass to the keeper!
Horror football

We didn't get the full backs forward at all, so when we moved the ball into midfield, the forward options were so limited we had to play back.

I'm not sure we missed many opportunities to play through the lines or play a more aggressive pass - there were simply not enough options in front of the guy with the ball.

5 across the back + 2 holding midfielders doesn't get you up the pitch.

Gio tactics are getting frustrating its getting to a point i dont even want to watch us anymore ,didnt even watch the game last night

This is what happens when the manager says openly that we can't compete at this level to cover his own arse.

No belief at all.

We have nobody that can take the ball in midfield and either drive forward or pick out a forward pass.

All our centre mids are near and tidy and keep safe possession. It's a position that needs to be strengthened in January and it really should have been in the summer there.

It’s a hard watch , Barisic first thought is to pass backwards . Deary me.
Backthewaybarasic is the biggest serial loser we have.

6million turkish international left wing back and we are settling for that pish.

Hes not as bad as last season but after that at the peado dome, hes finished for me, weak and negative. Our worst offender.

The blame for Barišić playing it backwards all the time lies firmly at the feet of Ryan Kent.

If you want to be pissed off at someone, you should be pissed off at him.

It's soul destroying. In the second half Borna picked up the ball near the halfway line, had a good opportunity to play it inside and break their midfield press. Automatically he turned back and played it back to the CB's.

It's the Gio way.

Last edited:
The blame for Barišić playing it backwards all the time lies firmly at the feet of Ryan Kent.

If you want to be pissed off at someone, you should be pissed off at him.
That and his back peddling routine when faced with anyone is really starting to annoy me. Ryan Kent doesn't stop Barisic from at least trying to drive forward with the ball, even just once. If you are going to beat a press like Liverpool have then it requires bravery on the ball and taking responsibility. You can see the fear ripping out him every time.

It's grim. There were 2 occasions in the first half when we had the ball in their final third and passed it back to the centre backs. We didn't even try to compete.

We look.a decent side when we actually go at teams. Play with Matondo, Sakaka, Kent, Colak next week.

Have a go at them.
All for this minus kent. He doesn't deserve a start anymore. He's been so poor this season

Majority of the time it results in us getting caught on the ball in our own half or eventually just lumping it up the park aimlessly under pressure.

It's just so slow, boring, meandering and negative.

It's definitely from the coach. All from his safety first, boring approach to football. The fact that it isn't effective is just ignored by him.

During commentary Mcmanaman even said what's the point in playing it out from the back passing around slow if your just going to lump it forward anyway, do it quicker from a guy who hasn't watched us all year.
Mcmanaman was spot on he also referred to us playing backwards constantly - we are even that negative against total dross domestically. When is enough ? You go to games now knowing its going be absolutely pish your watching.

That and his back peddling routine when faced with anyone is really starting to annoy me. Ryan Kent doesn't stop Barisic from at least trying to drive forward with the ball, even just once. If you are going to beat a press like Liverpool have then it requires bravery on the ball and taking responsibility. You can see the fear ripping out him every time.
This. Every time Salah was running towards Barasic, he backpeddled to the point when Salah is at the edge of the box. Was screaming at the TV telling him to put a tackle in. Didn't listen to me.

I'm not sure Steven Davis has his head forward in the direction of the Rangers goal once last night.

He has no cover whatsoever though.

The left centre back position and the midfield positions have been changed so many times this season, I'm not surprised he has no confidence that they will cover him if he loses the ball going forward, and there is no chance of Kent dropping back to cover. If he loses it, McGregor will scream at him (even though he doesn't seem to do it to anyone else). That, combined with Kent hugging the touchline at the halfway line, means Barišić literally has nowhere to go.
And having said that, he's probably been one of our best players this season. If he had someone decent in front of him, he'd look like a completely different player.

No passion, no determination, no belief, unable to pass a football to another blue jersey, you could go on and on, the negativity surrounding this team and management is killing us, last night was an embarrassment for the club.

I genuinely believe it's actually being coached into them
Any player with any inch of skill or flair or who might do something off the cuff have regressed massively under GVB. Morelos, Kent, Sakala, Kamara, it even happened to Ramsay when he was here.

He seems to hate any kind of football that isn’t on a chart. The life and souls has been sucked from our team. Our juju is completely gone.

Soul destroying.

Absolutely dreadful. We look like a team playing with the handbrake on. Too many players first instinct is to turn back. Mcmanaman mentioned it a few times. Thing is, you could see the difference when we put a wee bit of pressure on them in the last 10 minutes. They’re not great at the back. Listen, we’d have taken a hiding anyway, but we’d have had a go at least. The players need to believe in themselves a bit more.
Good point. He mentioned the lack of cohesion and the reluctance to press continually in the first half as if he was baffled to what he was watching. He actually pointed out at one point that we were making this easy for Liverpool.

Our instinct is to go back.

This must stop. It’s another tame, weak, timid and pathetic performance.

There is no fun watching the majority of our games.

This. Every time Salah was running towards Barasic, he backpeddled to the point when Salah is at the edge of the box. Was screaming at the TV telling him to put a tackle in. Didn't listen to me.
I’ve just read a comment on Twitter that’s bang on.
Barisic defends against every winger as if they’re carrying a knife.

The problem is the central midfield. None of them will play on the half turn with the first instinct to go forward.

We need somebody who can do that to assist with opening the game up and get us moving forward.

We didn't play through the centre under Gerrars when playing out. We used the 3 man rotation down the wings so the midfield weren't facing backwards when they got on the ball

Back