Plymouth trying to arrange pre season friendly with Gers

Bonnyloyal

Plymouth Argyle manager Ryan Lowe is in talks with Rangers boss Steven Gerrard about trying to arrange a pre-season game against the Scottish side at Home Park.

Liverpool-born Lowe is good friends with Gerrard and there is also a possibility of Rangers loaning players to the Pilgrims.

Lowe is busy trying to put his own stamp on Argyle’s pre-season schedule after taking charge at Home Park.

He has admitted a training camp in the Netherlands from July 21-26, which was planned by former manager Derek Adams, could be cancelled.

As it stands, Argyle have four away pre-season games against lower level, local opposition, but no matches at Home Park.

Lowe admitted it was ‘looking a bit unlikely’ that Rangers would be able to fit in a visit to Plymouth in pre-season at this late stage but that Gerrard was looking into it.

Gerrard led Rangers to second place in the Scottish Premiership in his first season as their manager in 2018/19, behind arch rivals Celtic.

He could prove to be a very useful contact for Lowe to have now that he is at Argyle.

Lowe told Plymouth Live: “He’s a good friend of mine, Stevie. He has had a good season up there (in Scotland), albeit he will be disappointed to be a few more points away from Celtic.

“I think next season you will see the best out of Rangers. I think he will add a bit more quality to the squad and he will be really fighting Celtic for the championship

He’s going to have a look at some dates to see if they have got any availability, whether it’s a Tuesday, a Wednesday, a Saturday, a Sunday – whatever we can try and get.

“It’s looking a bit unlikely but we will try. If we need anyone from them, or maybe we can sell one of their players to them and make a few quid maybe, I don’t know.

“We are in discussions all the time. He’s a good friend and I wish him all the best.”

Argyle have Saturday dates on July 20 and July 27 free to play at Home Park, and Lowe wants to ensure that his side play at least once in front of their own fans in pre-season.

Lowe said: “We are trying. I have been on the phone to Bristol City, I have been on the phone to Cardiff and I have been on the phone to Rangers to try to get them down.

“We have got two Saturdays that we could fill at the moment, depending on where we go and what we do.

“If we change the pre-season schedule (the trip to the Netherlands), then maybe we could have a game away.

“I would like to have one game at Home Park, especially for the fans to see what we are about.

“It is looking a little bit tough at the moment to get that because we want to get a higher opposition team.

“We may have to wait for someone to drop out but, if not, we will make it work. We will do something.

Maybe instead of proposed Derby game on July 28th?

Only available date

Also Home Park has reduced capacity as they are currently redeveloping the Main Stand

Think 13k?

Last edited:
Maybe instead of proposed Derby game on July 28th?

Only available date

Also Home Park has reduced capacity as they are currently redeveloping the Main Stand
That's what I'm thinking. Hotel already booked, just in case.

When Paul Sturrock in his 1st spell at Plymouth manager in the early 2000s he was trying to get us down for a friendly would have midweek game back then.

Capacity is 12,550 according to Football Ground Guide. Segregation permitting, you'd expect us to get around 4,000 if we did play down there.

https://www.footballgroundguide.com...=league-two&slug[3]=home-park-plymouth-argyle

Not big capacity currently and also depends on the interest of Plymouth fans as well if did happen

Behind the goal for certain

Would we get as far as the F?

home-park-plymouth-argyle-lyndhurst-stand-and-barn-park-end-1548346800.jpg

Used to live in Plymouth and still got a lot of friends there

We’d take over the place!
That said it’s a lady's front bottom to get to, either fly to Bristol or Exeter is better

Ground ain’t that big tho

Plymouth Argyle manager Ryan Lowe is in talks with Rangers boss Steven Gerrard about trying to arrange a pre-season game against the Scottish side at Home Park.

Liverpool-born Lowe is good friends with Gerrard and there is also a possibility of Rangers loaning players to the Pilgrims.

Lowe is busy trying to put his own stamp on Argyle’s pre-season schedule after taking charge at Home Park.

He has admitted a training camp in the Netherlands from July 21-26, which was planned by former manager Derek Adams, could be cancelled.

As it stands, Argyle have four away pre-season games against lower level, local opposition, but no matches at Home Park.

Lowe admitted it was ‘looking a bit unlikely’ that Rangers would be able to fit in a visit to Plymouth in pre-season at this late stage but that Gerrard was looking into it.

Gerrard led Rangers to second place in the Scottish Premiership in his first season as their manager in 2018/19, behind arch rivals Celtic.

He could prove to be a very useful contact for Lowe to have now that he is at Argyle.

Lowe told Plymouth Live: “He’s a good friend of mine, Stevie. He has had a good season up there (in Scotland), albeit he will be disappointed to be a few more points away from Celtic.

“I think next season you will see the best out of Rangers. I think he will add a bit more quality to the squad and he will be really fighting Celtic for the championship

He’s going to have a look at some dates to see if they have got any availability, whether it’s a Tuesday, a Wednesday, a Saturday, a Sunday – whatever we can try and get.

“It’s looking a bit unlikely but we will try. If we need anyone from them, or maybe we can sell one of their players to them and make a few quid maybe, I don’t know.

“We are in discussions all the time. He’s a good friend and I wish him all the best.”

Argyle have Saturday dates on July 20 and July 27 free to play at Home Park, and Lowe wants to ensure that his side play at least once in front of their own fans in pre-season.

Lowe said: “We are trying. I have been on the phone to Bristol City, I have been on the phone to Cardiff and I have been on the phone to Rangers to try to get them down.

“We have got two Saturdays that we could fill at the moment, depending on where we go and what we do.

“If we change the pre-season schedule (the trip to the Netherlands), then maybe we could have a game away.

“I would like to have one game at Home Park, especially for the fans to see what we are about.

“It is looking a little bit tough at the moment to get that because we want to get a higher opposition team.

“We may have to wait for someone to drop out but, if not, we will make it work. We will do something.
Got a link to this mate?

maybe we can sell one of their players to them and make a few quid maybe, I don’t know.

I know you're pals with Stevie Ryan and sometimes our buisness isn't great but I don't see us buying our own players then giving you money. :))

This would be a good (several) days out
Some journey from Essex - never mind Glasgow - but would still love it
Away days in England (or even half way to France) are always great fun

Last time I went to Exeter, I flew Easyjet from Edinburgh.

We got the express bus to Edinburgh Airport, assuming it’s still running. Citylink from Buchanan Bus Station.

All due respect but I wish we’d %^*& off with playing horrendous teams just because Gerrard is mates with the manager. Bury, Oxford and now Plymouth.
We're playing teams at the same stage we're at given we start competitive football 4 weeks from now.

I don't see it as particularly important who the opposition are as long as the players get game time.

We're playing teams at the same stage we're at given we start competitive football 4 weeks from now.

I don't see it as particularly important who the opposition are as long as the players get game time.

Any Plymouth game would need to be around 1 week before the season starts as it’s the only date we have free. Given the amount of games we will play from our first qualifier to then, i’d rather no game than get zero test against them.

Any Plymouth game would need to be around 1 week before the season starts as it’s the only date we have free. Given the amount of games we will play from our first qualifier to then, i’d rather no game than get zero test against them.
I'd rather we took every opportunity possible to allow our new signings to settle in and iron out any tactical issues before the competitive stuff really begins.

We're not guaranteed the European games either, look at the shambles of Caixinhas season when we went out early.

Which is the proposal Derby date

We played Wigan a week before the start of the season last year

Which is the proposal Derby date

We played Wigan a week before the start of the season last year

I know we did, Wigan was a good standard as would Derby be. Plymouth are dogshit. I also don’t want us travelling in between a potential euro qualifier should we still be in it, we’ll be doing enough travelling as it is. Should be no away friendly when we’re in Europe.

I know we did, Wigan was a good standard as would Derby be. Plymouth are dogshit. I also don’t want us travelling in between a potential euro qualifier should we still be in it, we’ll be doing enough travelling as it is. Should be no away friendly when we’re in Europe.

Yeah I know that also this is just a rumour due to what Ryan Lowe has quoted

Travelling to Derby if they decided that is happening would be no different if opted for Plymouth either

At the moment it just a blank weekend

Can’t see it happening with us potentially travelling back from a European game on 26th then having to travel down south the following day then to play a game on 28th then back up the road for the return leg on 1st August.

Half an hour away from me, yes fúcking please!
Closest airport is Exeter really, and may include a swap over at Brum!
The Plymouth True Blues will be in their element, if this gets the nod.
If not, they can arrange for next year and bring the League trophy with them to parade around the park.
Talking of parades, Brixham Council never get complaints or re-route the annual walk! Devon is Loyal.

Back