Poll: Hypothetically Joining EPL

Hypothetically, would you support the old firm joining the English Premiership?

• Yes

Votes: 950 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 422 30.8%

• Total voters
Season ticket prices would go up, people would be priced out, we would probably end up at a new ground at some point with a bigger capacity. We are a big club and would attract people looking for a day out seeing Rangers Vs some English team.

The club would become a soulless corporate entity within 10 years of being there. The EPL has ruined football.
That is absolutely not a given. Man Utd have held season ticket prices for about 10 years now. Do you really think King or Park would allow big increases? I don't.

I understand that it feels like it's too soon but at some point the fans need to let go of the bitterness towards Scottish football.

We're going to be staying here and we are one of only two clubs that has the power to make any meaningful change.

It's not broken beyond repair, Rangers and Celtic are both genuinely massive clubs. Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United have potential to be much better than they are. Even looking at clubs like Motherwell, if they could make the football they were playing under Robinson when things were going well their standard the league would improve so much.

The first challenge is getting new people in charge of the game, that's only achievable if every club and their supporters are united. This seems like an impossibility yet if you ask anyone they all want the same thing.

Scotland could and should be taking inspiration from the steps German football took to improve after a spell of failure. It's never going to be the EPL but it could be just as entertaining in it's own right.

I don't want to join us to join the epl, as such, more like I want us to get epl size tv money, cause that's the only way we'd have even a sniff of a chance of getting anywhere near winning the champioons league, or even the europa,but the reality is, that'll never happen, we are where we are, and we'll never get by that glass ceiling in europe

The old firm will win the league for the next "century and a half" , hardly much "fighting" going on. The landscape has changed massively over the past 20 years and the old firm will now totally outgrown Scottish football on a grand scale , with only a possible handicap system keeping the other clubs competitive.

Oh well, so be it.

Im not in favour of artificially constructing made up leagues just because Rangers and Celtic will win the league for the next century in a half.

I’ll spend however much of that time I have left hoping we win it more than them.

If that makes me “lacking the ambition” of those who still believe in fairy tale cross border leagues and fanciful “super leagues” so be it.

What manner is that?
Greetings fing the shit that tried to kill us a decision on whether we can grow and become more successful?
If so, to hell with that.
The correct manner for English clubs who we would be taking PL spots from, proper English clubs like Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Derby County etc.

What's the comparison between United and us cost vs cost?
Probably 20% more expensive but you are seeing some of Europe's best players on a regular basis. They are some of the least expensive seats in the league.
I will say that they charge like a wounded rhino for corporate and they have huge swathes of corporate that you simply couldn't sell in Scotland.

From a footballing perspective, for us (fuc k them) most definitely. If we as a club want to move forward and get away from the cesspit of corruption that Scottish Football is, I'd be all for for it.

That is absolutely not a given. Man Utd have held season ticket prices for about 10 years now. Do you really think King or Park would allow big increases? I don't.

King isn't making decisions at the club anymore and is selling his shares and Park won't be around forever. We would end up foreign owned like the majority of the EPL teams.

The correct manner for English clubs who we would be taking PL spots from, proper English clubs like Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Derby County etc.
You'd ask fat, well fed turkeys if they want Christmas, before buying your kids presents?

Not for me sir. But batter in.

Last edited:
No, I don’t really see the point in it.

I like to see us fighting for the same honours as we have been for the past century and a half.

We belong in Scotland
The honour we've coveted for the last 60 odd years is the European Cup. Realistically it isn't happening playing under the SPL media deal. In the EPL it definitely becomes an achievable goal in the mid to long term

The poll is pretty much as expected, vast majority wanna do it but a large enough section opposed will cause a split in the fanbase.

I'm all for it personally but never happening

This would be the only way I could support it, but not the bottom placed Scottish team, as that would be unsporting. It would be against one of the teams in the relegation zone (a way could be found to balance out the numbers). A problem would be entry to UEFA tournaments if the SPFL was seen as not being the top league in a pyramid.
I wouldn’t want Rangers to become an English club and I wouldn’t want other Scottish teams to lose European places. If the SPFL winners got automatic entry to the CL it would transform the league (if we weren’t in it), but the above stipulations complicate matters.
It's very simple regionalise English league 2 as north and south and the Scott premiership can be league 2 Scottish division. All these league two winners can play off with bottom of league one. End result a UK wide pyramid

No thanks, we'd just become another Arsenal or Tottenham. Aiming to finish 4th and gorge on that sweet, sweet champions league money nom nom nom.

Meanwhile, the real fans are priced out.
So let's gorge on it by beating Patrick and Hamilton from here to eternity. Happy to qualify and get gubbed in group stage every year. I'd rather have a go at keeping the Arsenals and Spurs in their place...below us

It’s one of the few ways I can see of us ever being able to compete on a level playing field in Europe again, so I’d take the chance at the risk of no longer winning silverware, year in year out. We’ve long boasted we are as big as the top English sides, well this would be our chance to prove it. We might not be champions every year but I fancy we’d win our share. Sure,y it’s better than stagnating in the backwater or Scotland. Unless there is a way of trying TV income to a teams actual support it’s going to take a move like this to be able to play with the big boys again.

First thing: clearly not going to happen.

But... On the back of the massive thread on this topic: If it was on the table, and the old firm were being invited. Would you want us to go?

Glitz, glamour and riches? Or integrity, history, European qualification and adding to 55?
Anything to get away from the scum here. If rather go alone

The honour we've coveted for the last 60 odd years is the European Cup. Realistically it isn't happening playing under the SPL media deal. In the EPL it definitely becomes an achievable goal in the mid to long term

And look at the competition you face to even get one of those 4 places in that league.

We wouldn’t be qualifying for the CL in the mid term, never mind winning it. It’s that old fantasy, more commonly espoused by Celtic fans, that “well with our fanbase we’d be competing near the top very quickly!”

Some of those teams in England...They’ve spent 60 years coveting a league title. Shall they just move to Scotland so it becomes realistic goal?

No, come on. Make your peace with what you know can and can’t be done.

Id rather stay in Scottish league, but this country is turning into a filthy republican shithole and the hatred of all things Unionist, Protestant and Rangers will get worse so I voted yes.
Get us out of this backward country. Do I think it will happen. Not a chance unfortunately.

Would like a British Cup rather than the league Cup. For historical reasons we should always play In the Scottish league.

I’m completely torn between the decision. We’ve totally outgrown Scottish football however it’s our birthplace & where we’ve grown to become who we are. But locking horns with the cream of English football who won’t park the bus, who won’t try & kick us off the park & be refereed to a far greater standard you’d ever see in Scotland.
We played English teams regular in the beginning, before there was a Scottish League.

Queens Park wouldn't play us because we didn't have our own ground. Most games were friendlies.

And look at the competition you face to even get one of those 4 places in that league.

We wouldn’t be qualifying for the CL in the mid term, never mind winning it. It’s that old fantasy, more commonly espoused by Celtic fans, that “well with our fanbase we’d be competing near the top very quickly!”

Some of those teams in England...They’ve spent 60 years coveting a league title. Shall they just move to Scotland so it becomes realistic goal?

It took 10 years to go from no team in the bottom division to overtaking the other half of the Old Firm. You honestly think it would take longer than that to make a top 4 spot in England when we would have resources comparable with any team in that league.

Yes we'd be starting with a squad and infrastructure that would be mid-table but to suggest we couldn't bridge that gap in 5 years maximum is beyond defeatist.

Also, the clubs who do have more resources with the exception of Man City have owners who are extracting cash from the team whilst we're more likely to be re-investing with the aim of using all our resources to win.

Proper investment in facilities would allow us to mobilise a fan base that could put more paying customers in a ground than any other club in the UK. We literally couldn't build a ground with a big enough capacity. If we had comparable media cash we'd be in position to blow most English teams out of the water in tickets and hospitality revenue.

I don’t think Burnley would be the draw the closer comparison for Aberdeen and Hibs would be Man Utd and Chelsea or any of the “big” 6.

With the increase in funding we would be challenging for champions league places or if just Europa League, in with a serious shout of winning it.
That isn't necessarily so. To breach the 'top six' in the EPL - never mind the CL - so many pieces have to fall into place. It's far more complicated than just having additional revenue available.

Either the money circulating in the EPL starts to decrease and the bubble bursts as many have predicted over the years happens then we will just fall further and further behind.
The bubble doesn’t seem to be bursting so if we have a chance to join up and have a British league then we would be crazy not to.

Football is more than money.

Hypothetically, if the finances of the EPL were the same of the SPFL, would most of those saying yes still want to go?

Yes.

I'd prefer to be mixing it with Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal than Hamilton, Ross County, Dundee United and Livingston.

Leicester are going to qualify for the champions league next year. Surely we are a bigger club with more potential for success than them? Also English clubs who take the Europa League seriously are among the favourites to win it and qualify for the Champions league that way, so even if you only finish in 5th/6th place you still have an extra chance to qualify for the Champions league the following year.

At the moment we will do well to qualify for the Champions League and proceeding from the group stages would be a minor footballing miracle. We would be there realistically only for exposure, money and hoping to draw a big name or two to have massive nights at Ibrox. In the Europa League we are pushing about as far as we can realistically expect these last two seasons.
Move to the Premier League and you have heightened exposure, face big names numerous times every season regardless of Europe, you have more money and we could expect to challenge to win the Europa League or qualify for latter stages of the Champions League on a semi regular basis.

Last edited:
Would be bonkers not to as it is potentially a much easier task than actually getting Scottish football to where it should be. In a world where we had proper governance and a board not filled with diddies like Doncaster, the SPFL could be one of the biggest/richest outside your big five or six TV markets.

If I was asked this pre 2012 I would have said no. But we owe Scotland nothing. Outside the Rangers support I never met anyone who was unhappy at what was done to us over the past decade. If it was in the clubs interest and given the opportunity then I would take it. Scottish football is dire as well and has been for years and the team we have now will likely be broken up as a lot of the players will get lucrative moves to the EPL. It would be a challenge and I’d definitely be up for regular games with the likes of Spurs, Liverpool etc. The excitement would be in seeing how we managed and developed with this challenge. Also people have asked above if our support could handle not winning stuff. My guess is yes, given we won nothing for almost a decade whilst getting our faces rubbed in it. The only down side is that mob would have to be part of the deal.

Back