Poll re preferred choice for Rangers right back:

If fit, who would be your first choice right back for Rangers?

• James Tavernier

Votes: 823 65.2%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 259 20.5%
  • Buy somebody else in January

Votes: 181 14.3%

• Total voters

Harrogate Bluenose

Tav without a doubt just needs competition to allow him to rediscover his true form.

It getting tiresome how some happy clappers wont allow fellow fans to express an opinion. Tav deserved to be called out for his recent form, does not mean theres a witch hunt to get him out the club.

Garrioch Bear

I’m going to throw the cat among the pigeons here. There is an outstanding
RB in our Dev Squad Nathan Patterson. I would give him a run.
If Liverpool can play a teenager at RB
and is now an internationalist I believe then why
can’t Rangers. A number of Europe’s
top clubs are playing teenagers.
I can recall Wee W H and Big DJ
playing at 16/17 and being instant hits.

kdy_bear

I don’t see how the poll is unfair to Falanagan, it’s framed “if fit”.

Looks like most people who have voted so far want Tav to be Rangers right back going forward.

Would imagine Flanagan might be for the off Jan / summer if he’s not going to feature much.
It's unfair on him because we haven't been able to see Flanagan in that role, fit or unfit, for any length of time. He's virtually always been on the left when played.

Commentator

I’m going to throw the cat among the pigeons here. There is an outstanding
RB in our Dev Squad Nathan Patterson. I would give him a run.
If Liverpool can play a teenager at RB
and is now an internationalist I believe then why
can’t Rangers. A number of Europe’s
top clubs are playing teenagers.
I can recall Wee W H and Big DJ
playing at 16/17 and being instant hits.

Can @elfideldo comment on this?

Rio Loyal

I would be tempted to give Flanagan and Polster a few games each and put Tav on the bench,

Was going to say put him wide right but the few times he was tried there he was rotten .

Growler

Official Ticketer
Tav has been beyond exceptional for us in the whole. He’s had a bad month, but he has more than enough in reserve to be afforded a lot more slack.

DamBuster72

We need better than both if we want to start winning things. As outstanding as some of Tav's offensive play is, he is now regularly failing to do the absolute basics that you need a full back to do.

I'd give the captain's armband to Jack and start actively looking for long-term RB targets. A right sided Papac would be absolutely ideal.

Loud and proud

If the three options were Tav, Flanagan, polster, I would have voted Tav but I'm not adverse to a new signing coming in, Rangers should always be looking to improve.

GF7

A better poll would be a better right back from another team in Scotland. As I don't believe there is anyone close to Tav, so not sure why so many feel having the best right back in the country is somehow a detriment to us - which player from another club in our league would replace him?

Spit the dog

Tav. He hasn’t had a good start to the season, I know that is understating it. But he needs our backing and support, I reckon he is a confidence player. Gets the backing and he will come good again.

stein and johnston

I think long term it’s Tav.
But he has drop out the team for a couple of games then brought back. If it has the desired effect then all good and well. If not, then it’s a problem for the gaffer and Tav.
Hopefully he’ll got over this spell and drive us forward to 55.

Subway Bear

Tav is first choice just now, would cost to replace on a permenant basis. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be dropped if deserved, and right now, it's deserved.

Captain Cutlass

Official Ticketer
I've only scan read this thread but I don't think it's going the way the OP had hoped for.
It's safe to say that I'm going for one of our most consistent players over the last few seasons and Rangers Captain for me!

Reactions: GF7

stillAlwaysblue

Tav without Candy is just not good enough as a defender. I prefer a solid defender and let midfield and a winger attack. But then again I am old school and was a fan of Bobby Shearer.

Japandroid

Tavernier for sure. He is our best right back, imo.

He's off form right now and whether he can play through it or he needs a game or two out of the team and the spotlight, he's still our best option for the position.

dh1963

Tav for me, but he needs to be given the message that his performances get back to his normal standard.

Additionally a wee rest on occasions could help eg Hamilton, St Mirren etc at home.
I think they are the games he must play. He creates chances and goals against those kind of teams.

barrheadbear

Tav for me.

Going through a dip in confidence that perhaps a short spell on the sidelines might help. However he is easily our best right back and when on form he is just a fantastic athlete, almost unplayable as an overlapping fullback.

Davester

135 people actually voted for Flanagan. Wow.
I voted for Flanagan! Tavernier is nowhere near as good a defender as Flanagan. Don't think many would disagree with that. Tavernier is obviously better going forward than Flanagan ever will be. But now Tavernier is doing nothing going forward either. And with a whack of away games and Europa League games, clean sheets to me, are the main priority. There is ability going forward to get us goals, but we need to stop the leaking of idiotic goals first and foremost.

Grigo Yossarian

I think they are the games he must play. He creates chances and goals against those kind of teams.
Yep, understand your point DH.

I feel that last season against the scum, apart from one obvious exception at the Chamber of Secrets he was excellent defensively against them, which is the vital contest, so I’d still be nervous to leave him out v them.

tazzabear

That's what we're up against. Absolute mental idea to start a guy who's been injured for weeks.
Yes, however, he has now he’s improved so much during his absence he’s able to do things and produce performances he wasn’t capable of before.
Maybe Tavernier should take some time off and get some of the “treatment” Flanagan got.

Diego Maradona

Official Ticketer
Yes, however, he has now he’s improved so much during his absence he’s able to do things and produce performances he wasn’t capable of before.
Maybe Tavernier should take some time off and get some of the “treatment” Flanagan got.
Doing a Beasley”