Poll re preferred choice for Rangers right back:

If fit, who would be your first choice right back for Rangers?

• James Tavernier

Votes: 823 65.2%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 259 20.5%
  • Buy somebody else in January

Votes: 181 14.3%

• Total voters
Tav.

He's had some absolute howlers lately and Sunday is as poor a performance I can remember from him.
That said, he has just hit a dip in form and whilst, he certainly isnt above being benched, I don't think he should be stripped of the captaincy and punted out the door, as some are suggesting.

Sell Flanagan and Polster and bring in real competition for Tav in January. I'd do the same for left back too (not that Barisic needs dropped/replaced, just that it's always good to have competition and if he gets injured we're kinda fucked at that position)

He has not been at his best lately to say the least,he maybe needs benched for a game or two but he is still our best option there.
In the summer he was,along with morelos,the player we were worried about losing but a few poor games and some posters are writing him off,not for me.

Tav is clearly our best RB but posts like this are papering over the cracks. At this moment in time he's clearly off form and going through the motions. He needs dropped for a few games til he gets his head back in it.

So yes Tav is our best RB, but he should be nowhere near the team for a few weeks imo.

On a temporary basis I would give polster a shot at it,Tav needs rested IMO as does Arfield but we need someone on that right wing I would try replacing Arfield in Mid Field and putting Stuart in there I would also drop Ojo and Kent should take his place

Tav for me by a mile, however I don't think it would harm him being dropped for a game or two to get his mental block or whatever it is under control. The difficulty being the timing of this, and actually how beneficial it would be long term. That's why i'm sat behind my laptop in the office of a floodlighting firm posting shit on follow follow and not the manager of Rangers :D Gerrard will know exactly how to manage Tav, and I fully trust him to do best for our club.

Game dependant for me. Games where we’ll be attacking continually then Tav. Away from home in Europe, and against Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Tims I’d be tempted to play Flanagan for his defensive abilities.
Without checking I would bet Tav has scored/assisted/created more goals against those teams than he’s cost us

His form so far this season has been sketchy but the stick he’s coming in for is OTT

Give Polster a chance at RB. Let'see what he can actually do before completely writing him off. At least until Flanagan is fit again anyway.

For all the folk saying it's not right even discussing this, how many more point dropping howlers do you think is acceptable then? For all he was great last season, the fact is he not produced anything near that level this season. Even the games we've destroyed teams, he's been pretty average really.

I've mentioned benching him since the poets game to give him a rest for a couple of games (& got slated) but that decision to take the free kick was bang out of line. Borna, the guy that won us the game v St.Mirren with a sublime goal gets told where to go so he can %^*& it up, like he has done all season? Enough's enough.

I'm not talking about binning him completely btw. Just give the guy a rest.

Quality

The good old poll to determine who we should play

Absolute joke

Yeah, because our management team monitor F F to see who’s getting picked.

I posted the poll because I was never nterested to see what FFers we’re thinking re Rangers right back position.

The reason I asked the question was because Flanagan can sign a pre-contract in 10 weeks time, was just wondering iwhat punters take; going forward, on who’ll be Rangers right back going forward.

Can the 20% of people voting for Jon Flanagan please go and re-watch any of his Europa League group stage games for us last season.

Yeah, because our management team monitor F F to see who’s getting picked.

I posted the poll because I was never nterested to see what FFers we’re thinking re Rangers right back position.

The reason I asked the question was because Flanagan can sign a pre-contract in 10 weeks time, was just wondering iwhat punters take; going forward, on who’ll be Rangers right back going forward.
Going forward it will be Tav, he’s going through a shockingly bad spell at the minute but what player doesn’t. The unfortunate bit about is we don’t have anyone available to give him a rest.

But again he’s not the only player in our current 11 who ain’t performing and still getting picked but the fact is Tavernier will never hide and shy away from a game which certain players do

Tav was touted as being sold for"nothing less"than£8 million,a few weeks ago on fickle follow,guy needs a break,and if we had what we wanted to have (2 player's for each position), that's what would be happening.

Bring in a proper right mid/winger who will link up with Tav. Ojo never will and Arfield isn't the answer out there. The right side used to be our strongest area of the team, now it's the weakest.
Failing that, I'd be looking to strengthen if possible. Though, I still maintain McCrorie is made for RB.

Can the 20% of people voting for Jon Flanagan please go and re-watch any of his Europa League group stage games for us last season.

Or you could watch him domestically from when he came into the team again and defended well.
The praise of Tavernier was he makes mistakes but makes up for it due to his creativity.
We have barely seen that this season.

The best option is to buy a new right back.

Or the league game v Kilmarnock at Ibrox when he was hooked at halftime,albeit playing at leftback.

This poll is embarrassing panty-wetting of the highest order.

I don’t see it as panty wetting at all, I was trying to get a feel for whether or not Tav should be Rangers right back for the foreseeable future.

The poll suggests that those who have participated are happy to continue with Tav.

Wrong question, IMHO, VH. We all want good Tav, at his best he's an exceptional asset and a credit to the club. Today, however, we don't have that option, we have a club captain who's in a bad slump and struggling as he tries to play through it. The manager owes it to JT, the team and the fans to manage his way out of this rather than sticking with a strategy that isn't working, in fact, it's looking counter-productive.
This is as much a managerial failing as Tav's.

Or you could watch him domestically from when he came into the team again and defended well.
The praise of Tavernier was he makes mistakes but makes up for it due to his creativity.

Regrettably I agree with this. His defending has been awful but we can't even cancel that out with praise for other parts of his game. His crossing and dead ball play have been shocking as well. We must take a tough decision with this player, we can't wait and hope he improves, the stakes are too high.

Sir, I implore you to please go back and watch a Jon Flanagan game.

There is a reason we were able to pick him up for nothing and his contract is being allowed to run down.

The guy is good at last ditch tackling, but he's pretty terrible at everything else. His athleticism is gone, his positioning is suspect and he's not reliable enough in terms of injury to have in the team for any length of time.

Bit unfair on Flanagan this poll, we haven't really had the chance to appraise him in the right back role due to 'he who must not be dropped' in there all the time. Tav has his attributes going forward (or at least use to have), but I just feel Flanagan probably has more of the defensive qualities needed for this position.

If fit, who would be your first choice right back for Rangers?
He needs some help to cut silly mistakes down it may be a mental thing , the one yesterday was down to his fear of being clattered, if he had committed to the football it would have been ok

Bit unfair on Flanagan this poll, we haven't really had the chance to appraise him in the right back role due to 'he who must not be dropped' in there all the time. Tav has his attributes going forward (or at least use to have), but I just feel Flanagan probably has more of the defensive qualities needed for this position.

I don’t see how the poll is unfair to Falanagan, it’s framed “if fit”.

Looks like most people who have voted so far want Tav to be Rangers right back going forward.

Would imagine Flanagan might be for the off Jan / summer if he’s not going to feature much.

how do i report a post

Back