Poll re preferred choice for Rangers right back:

If fit, who would be your first choice right back for Rangers?

• James Tavernier

Votes: 823 65.2%
  • Jon Flanagan

Votes: 259 20.5%
  • Buy somebody else in January

Votes: 181 14.3%

• Total voters
I think long term it’s Tav.
But he has drop out the team for a couple of games then brought back. If it has the desired effect then all good and well. If not, then it’s a problem for the gaffer and Tav.
Hopefully he’ll got over this spell and drive us forward to 55.

Tav is first choice just now, would cost to replace on a permenant basis. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be dropped if deserved, and right now, it's deserved.

I've only scan read this thread but I don't think it's going the way the OP had hoped for.
It's safe to say that I'm going for one of our most consistent players over the last few seasons and Rangers Captain for me!

Reactions: GF7
Tav without Candy is just not good enough as a defender. I prefer a solid defender and let midfield and a winger attack. But then again I am old school and was a fan of Bobby Shearer.

Tavernier for sure. He is our best right back, imo.

He's off form right now and whether he can play through it or he needs a game or two out of the team and the spotlight, he's still our best option for the position.

Tav for me, but he needs to be given the message that his performances get back to his normal standard.

Additionally a wee rest on occasions could help eg Hamilton, St Mirren etc at home.

I think they are the games he must play. He creates chances and goals against those kind of teams.

Tav for me.

Going through a dip in confidence that perhaps a short spell on the sidelines might help. However he is easily our best right back and when on form he is just a fantastic athlete, almost unplayable as an overlapping fullback.

135 people actually voted for Flanagan. Wow.
I voted for Flanagan! Tavernier is nowhere near as good a defender as Flanagan. Don't think many would disagree with that. Tavernier is obviously better going forward than Flanagan ever will be. But now Tavernier is doing nothing going forward either. And with a whack of away games and Europa League games, clean sheets to me, are the main priority. There is ability going forward to get us goals, but we need to stop the leaking of idiotic goals first and foremost.

I think they are the games he must play. He creates chances and goals against those kind of teams.

Yep, understand your point DH.

I feel that last season against the scum, apart from one obvious exception at the Chamber of Secrets he was excellent defensively against them, which is the vital contest, so I’d still be nervous to leave him out v them.

That's what we're up against. Absolute mental idea to start a guy who's been injured for weeks.
Yes, however, he has now he’s improved so much during his absence he’s able to do things and produce performances he wasn’t capable of before.
Maybe Tavernier should take some time off and get some of the “treatment” Flanagan got.

Yes, however, he has now he’s improved so much during his absence he’s able to do things and produce performances he wasn’t capable of before.
Maybe Tavernier should take some time off and get some of the “treatment” Flanagan got.
Doing a Beasley”

Tav simply can’t defend. That’s why he never made it in England whereas Flannigan has played in the premiership at right back

I think there is '...a vast amount of posters...' on FF who know and recognize a player who has become increasingly unreliable, and whose mistakes continue to hurt the team. The bottom line is that some point Gerrard has to call time on Tavernier.

If we are fortunate enough to be ahead, tied, or within touching distance of the yahoos by Christmas, an absolute priority must be the addition of a solid, reliable right back.
Strange.
Surely, if we are at this point then Tavernier will have contributed and would deserve to keep his place.
Or, do you dislike him that much?

Reactions: GF7
I voted for Flanagan! Tavernier is nowhere near as good a defender as Flanagan. Don't think many would disagree with that. Tavernier is obviously better going forward than Flanagan ever will be. But now Tavernier is doing nothing going forward either. And with a whack of away games and Europa League games, clean sheets to me, are the main priority. There is ability going forward to get us goals, but we need to stop the leaking of idiotic goals first and foremost.
I would absolutely disagree with it. Flanagan is not this solid defender that everyone seems to think he is. Are we just forgetting about all the glaring errors he's made?

Anyone but Tavernier. He has ALWAYS let the club down in the biggest matches and always will. From the SC semi against the scum (their 2nd goal came from him being unable to prevent the cross and he missed a penalty) to his abysmal performance in the SCF to his disappearing act in the humiliating double header against the scum the following season to his atrocious mistake at the scumdome last season to the numerous stupid mistakes he’s made so far already this season. How many times does he have to fail dismally in the big games before the penny drops that he simply is not good enough and never will be?

Anyone but Tavernier. He has ALWAYS let the club down in the biggest matches and always will. From the SC semi against the scum (their 2nd goal came from him being unable to prevent the cross and he missed a penalty) to his abysmal performance in the SCF to his disappearing act in the humiliating double header against the scum the following season to his atrocious mistake at the scumdome last season to the numerous stupid mistakes he’s made so far already this season. How many times does he have to fail dismally in the big games before the penny drops that he simply is not good enough and never will be?
That’s quite an achievement for our right back to have scored 50 odd goals and around 100 assists in 4 years and they’ve all been in meaningless games - including European and Bheggars games. Meanwhile he’s apparently lost us every important game in that time.
Ironically you can spout this pish about Tav and not get banned but if I tell the truth about you I’ll be looking for another user name. Better to just add you to the ignore list

Tav simply can’t defend. That’s why he never made it in England whereas Flannigan has played in the premiership at right back
Shhhh you'll upset some people on here stating facts. Look tavernier is always going to be more productive than flanagan going forward and in that sense I'm a big fan of his, however Flanagan is always going to be a more reliable defender than tavernier, and if JT isn't producing the goods going forward or is on a rotten run of form then he needs swapped out for Flanagan. We wouldn't have conceded those goals in Bern and Edinburgh if Flanagan was playing, I'm 100% confident on that. Those individual errors single handedly cost us points, that's the Crux of the matter.

So if a good full back was identified are people actually saying they would still stick with a defensive liability, wow.

Strange.
Surely, if we are at this point then Tavernier will have contributed and would deserve to keep his place.
Or, do you dislike him that much?

Strange??? no, Tav is unreliable - period.

He is liable at anytime to do something daft and cost us points - how much more evidence do you need?. If we are still in touch with the yahoos by Christmas it will be inspite of Tav rather than because of him. Rangers clearly need a more reliable option at rt. back - there is nothing 'strange' about hoping for or wanting this.

Strange??? no, Tav is unreliable - period.

He is liable at anytime to do something daft and cost us points - how much more evidence do you need?. If we are still in touch with the yahoos by Christmas it will be inspite of Tav rather than because of him. Rangers clearly need a more reliable option at rt. back - there is nothing 'strange' about hoping for or wanting this.
I’m guessing then that you believe we are close just now despite (not inspite) of Tavernier.
He’s contributed nothing and will continue to continue to contribute nothing.
Tell me, honestly, were you one of those who wanted Barisic binned?

Bring in a proper right mid/winger who will link up with Tav. Ojo never will and Arfield isn't the answer out there. The right side used to be our strongest area of the team, now it's the weakest.
Failing that, I'd be looking to strengthen if possible. Though, I still maintain McCrorie is made for RB.
Agree mate,with Tav in front of him

Tav would still be my choice of right back. However, I do think he needs a stint out of the team. He certainly needs a stint off of set pieces. However, he still has a massive part to play for our club.

He'll remain as captain and he'll get plenty of game time but someone else should be given a couple of games. It's difficult to drop the captain but the good of the club has to come first.

Game dependant for me. Games where we’ll be attacking continually then Tav. Away from home in Europe, and against Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Tims I’d be tempted to play Flanagan for his defensive abilities.

How dare you bring common sense into this !!

Candeias used to cover for Tav, which helped immensely. Without someone like that to assist when he switches off, his defensive weakness is exposed. Either get someone who will cover for him, or maybe move him to right mid and get a more defensive right back in Jan

Back