Poll - will katic be a first choice starter this season?

Will katic be the other first choice centre-back this season or will we sign another starter?

• Katic first choice.

Votes: 353 87.4%
  • Another starter is signed.

Votes: 51 12.6%

• Total voters

LoganBear

Official Ticketer
The big man obviously started last season well but then had a sticky spell and was dropped for big joe worrall.

He then returned to the side and rekindled a good partnership with goldson albeit the league was practically finished.

With mcauley and worrall away we will definitely sign one, probably 2 centrebacks.

Do you think gerrard/allen will be looking for a starter centreback or backups?

He's good enough to be starter but I wouldn't mind us signing someone better permanently to take his place.

I've no interested in loaning some young player that is no better to take his place though.

The big man obviously started last season well but then had a sticky spell and was dropped for big joe worrall.

He then returned to the side and rekindled a good partnership with goldson albeit the league was practically finished.

With mcauley and worrall away we will definitely sign one, probably 2 centrebacks.

The Big man deserves to see if he can nail his place down as much as Goldson or ?
But in all honesty I still don’t think Gerrard rates him.

It may depend on who else we bring in ……if anybody!

I'd love it if we could find similar for the same price again this summer and have 3 very good options competing for the CB spots.

Katic is excellent in the air and physically, and with the ball - his only issue is (for me) with players knocking the ball past him which has happened a few times and he's been caught out. If he can sort out his positioning and give himself an extra couple of yards against pacey strikers, then we have an exceptional player there.

I voted no. He was clearly always better than Worral and yet Gerrard dropped him so I’d guess he’ll be looking for another starting CH.

I suspect another starter will be signed and there will be rotation among the 3. I really like Katic but think Gerrard still sees him as one for the future. We need to sign 2 centre backs to make up a functional squad. One will be a back up. The other will be a genuine contender. Suspect Gerrard will often play the higher ranked one and Goldson is clearly seen as our current first choice.

I suspect that Katic will play a fair bit and will be promoted to regular starter next season with Goldson or the other first choice sold on.

I’m not usually this specific... May regret it...

I think the Goldson/Katic partnership has to be our main centreback pairing,we look so much more solid and don't look like conceding goals. I think we need backups and also for the keeper as well.

I hope so because when you find a pairing like him and Goldson who compliment each others game so well you really want to keep it together. I think he also worked hard on the aspects of his game that SG wanted him to improve and at the tail end of the season he showed he has.

I think he’s better than Goldson, but I’ll be very surprised if we don’t bring in another central defender. Gerrard seems to prefer Goldson, so it’s a no from me.

am more than happy to start the season with goldson and katic but i have a feeling that another centre hof will be brought in and possibly take katic place. he deserves his chance tho

The big man was solid at the start and end of the season. He will be first pick if he continues this form. If he doesn’t quite hit the ground running again and there’s a more able CB there then he will drop out. Simple.

I think it was the correct decision from Gerrard to drop him when he did. He was a bombscare at Hamilton. However, I don’t think he should’ve been out for as long as he was. Hopefully he and Goldson can form a solid partnership.

Im in 2 minds.

I love the big man and his attitude and spirit are first class, exactly the type of warrior we need espesh at centre-back and i think he has a real chance of developing into a top defender.

But he is only 22 which is young for a centrehalf.

He did have that sticky spell and i do think his positioning can be suspect, my mind keeps wandering back to how easily he was skinned in last mentally challenged game by either edouard or ntcham when they missed the sitter.

We do only have 2 central defenders so pretty sure 2 will be brought in.

Possibly 1 being a “project’ style player.

The question is for the other player do we look to bring in a first choice starter, someone to challenge nikola or a backup/older head type to stand in for goldson/katic when they are injured/susp/rested.

Peesonally id like a starter brought in but conscious we have a limited budget and might need to prioritise elsewhere.

Do think we need to bring in as good a 3rd centreback as we can possibly afford even if its just to challenge katic or goldson depending on your preference.

I feel that was one of the managers errors this year when he dropped katic for Worral, seemed tae lose all his confidence and looked shadow of player when made odd appearance. Showed at end of season when giving run in team can be a good player for us. Aye still feel Goldson is a better all round player but a good quality centre half for Katic to fight it out with can only be good for the quality of the squad.

Gerrard said he wants him ready for 60 games next season he has proved to the gaffer that he is a starter

Even if we're signing another high quality cb... i'd be playing katic ahead of goldson!

Gerrard won't be mate.

Both him and Allen rate Goldson as the best central defender in the league.

That said, I think Katic and Goldson is an excellent partnership.

They have to play as a pair, imo. Goldson gives Katic confidence to attack everything on his side.
Back up needed, but only as cover for injuries/suspension.

Katic should be a first pick he has every attribute to be a great defender for us. If he improves his timing and decision making which will get better eventually then he could go all the way and be a top class defender.

Back