Poll - Would you sell Morelos if it meant Rangers signing 3-4 ‘quality signings’ this summer?

Would you sell Morelos if it meant getting in 3-4 ‘quality’ signings

• Yes

Votes: 844 89.9%
  • No

Votes: 55 5.9%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 30 3.2%
  • Who is Morelos?

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jobra

100% yes.
He has shown that he has great potential and can score goals.
But he likes to play on his own, and from performances cannot play as a dual strike role.
As far as his disciplinary record shows, he is unreliable, although he has been grossly unfairly treated at times by officials, and certainly by opposing players, ie McKenna, Brown etc.
If a fantastic offer came in, 15 - 20 M, it must, reluctantly, be taken by the board, as we could buy 3-4 quality( for our league) players to augment our challenge for 55,

Danger Zone

It's a no brainer: of course. He is generally less important to the team than many people assume.

We dropped points in 15 games this season. Morelos played in 12 of those games. Suggesting that we suffered for his absence is really a rather odd manipulation of data.
Only a no brainer would ignore the performances we put in when he was out the side the first time. Couldn’t score in a barrel and fannies and the teams overlay play clearly suffered in a substantial way. Thats to anyone with two working eyes anyway (the forum almost unanimously agreed with this before the piggery red card and complete revision and re-evaluation of his importance), to simply ignore this as though it didn’t happen, is rather odd.

Ready72

For me he has to go now.
Sadly, Kevin Clancy is such a pathetic excuse of a man he has tried to use Morelos to make a name for himself and bullied him out of his place of work.
It's best for Morelos he moves on and finds a club where he will be treated fairly without bias or bigotry.

Blue Skies At Night

Only a no brainer would ignore the performances we put in when he was out the side the first time. Couldn’t score in a barrel and fannies and the teams overlay play clearly suffered in a substantial way. Thats to anyone with two working eyes anyway (the forum almost unanimously agreed with this before the piggery red card and complete revision and re-evaluation of his importance), to simply ignore this as though it didn’t happen, is rather odd.
Some people seem to be glossing over how inconsistent the majority of the team was back then too. Since then Arfield, Davis, Kent, Flannagan (to name a few) have been putting in much more consistent & direct performances. Not to mention teams had us sussed that if they push us out wide & packed the box then we were toothless.
It's no secret we relied on him way too much back then.

Danger Zone

Some people seem to be glossing over how inconsistent the majority of the team was back then too. Since then Arfield, Davis, Kent, Flannagan (to name a few) have been putting in much more consistent & direct performances. Not to mention teams had us sussed that if they push us out wide & packed the box then we were toothless.
It's no secret we relied on him way too much back then.
Yeah but the root cause of the change in consistency is the fact one block of games were played with nothing to play for, that was mostly the case for all the opposition we played too. It’s something people are only too happy to overlook because they won’t forgive the player for the piggery red card. Either that or they’re just very naive and will get a wee shock when we start the new season and aren’t blowing teams away.

Blue Skies At Night

Yeah but the root cause of the change in consistency is the fact one block of games were played with nothing to play for, that was mostly the case for all the opposition we played too. It’s something people are only too happy to overlook because they won’t forgive the player for the piggery red card. Either that or they’re just very naive and will get a wee shock when we start the new season and aren’t blowing teams away.
We'll see next season if what you're saying is right enough regarding competitive games. I'd say it's a fair amount of conjecture rather than concrete fact though.
FWIW I also think people are going overboard wrt his temperament. That card against them was very harsh & if it was a red, Brown should have been off too. He's clearly being judged to a different set of rules.

RuchazieBlue

All the players have a price tag and if someone comes along and offers silly money then the player goes.

We need to keep upgrading players so it’s a no brainier we take the cash

Let’s hope we can get some serious cash in so we can spend

There are a few who need to go one way or the other. The underachievers who are a drain on the resources

TimzRFudz

Ditch a proven ~30 goals a season striker for 3 or 4 undefined players in undefined positions..?

Amazed that the vast majority have bought into that.

My question would be are the two options mutually exclusive, and if so why? And think really carefully about that before you answer.

D day

Who’s the 5% who said no???

We need a reality check over Alfredo. Yes he’s good, but he’s far from being great! Yes he’s young but he’s a suspension waiting to happen!

Personally I’d cash in if we can get anything over £10m
I don't rate him,I don't trust him and I don't believe he is a team player, gladly see the back of him and his attitude for any price

Danger Zone

We'll see next season if what you're saying is right enough regarding competitive games. I'd say it's a fair amount of conjecture rather than concrete fact though.
FWIW I also think people are going overboard wrt his temperament. That card against them was very harsh & if it was a red, Brown should have been off too. He's clearly being judged to a different set of rules.
I understand why people were angry at him, he let everyone down. But far too many have just jumped on the media bandwagon. Fact is he’s still refereed to a different set of rules, so is Brown, only for him it works in the opposite way in that he can do whatever he likes without repercussion.

Last edited:

Blue Skies At Night

I understand why people were angry at him, he let everyone down. But far too many have just jumped on the media bandwagon. Fact is he’s still referred to a different set of rules, so is Brown, only for him it works in the opposite way in that he can do whatever he likes without repercussion.
That scunners me too. The vast majority of his cards have been unwarranted or very soft. Tav being a terrible defender is another media fallacy they love to spout. It maybe had more truth ages ago but it's rare he makes a blatant defensive error these days (obviously other than just being caught OOP). It's all the more frustrating when it's bears repeating this stuff.

TimzRFudz

What’s disappointing is that the fuckers who have been trying to drive him out of Scotland are not only succeeding, but have managed to con a significant number of us into going along with it too.

The temperament issue is up to Gerrard to sort out. That’s part of his job. He’s indicated he finds it a frustration at times, but not once has he given up on Alfie.

Putting that to one side, and recognising the media and Scottish football in general have massively played on it, what we still have is a 22yo, 30 goals a season international striker. Why in the name of %^*& are we falling over ourselves to get rid of him? Yes I understand how the ‘model’ works now for us but are people forgetting that crucial part of the players we’re developing actually winning things for us too?

If Alfie helps fire us to 55 this season then he’ll go with my blessing. Trying to achieve that without him and bringing in this supposed three or four quality players that are unknown quantities in Rangers shirts is to my mind at least as big a gamble as keeping him.

Blue Skies At Night

What’s disappointing is that the fuckers who have been trying to drive him out of Scotland are not only succeeding, but have managed to con a significant number of us into going along with it too.

The temperament issue is up to Gerrard to sort out. That’s part of his job. He’s indicated he finds it a frustration at times, but not once has he given up on Alfie.

Putting that to one side, and recognising the media and Scottish football in general have massively played on it, what we still have is a 22yo, 30 goals a season international striker. Why in the name of %^*& are we falling over ourselves to get rid of him? Yes I understand how the ‘model’ works now for us but are people forgetting that crucial part of the players we’re developing actually winning things for us too?

If Alfie helps fire us to 55 this season then he’ll go with my blessing. Trying to achieve that without him and bringing in this supposed three or four quality players that are unknown quantities in Rangers shirts is to my mind at least as big a gamble as keeping him.
The problem we have now is that unless the club come out in his defence, it's only going to get worse. The refs know the media will back any decisions against him.

Just another example of the game up here hating itself to death, doing everything they can to push a player with talent out of the league purely because he plays for Rangers. Then you get them banging on about it being a physical league... aye, only when it's their favoured team is it allowed to be a physical game.

I'm away for a can of juice. I'm done for the night.

ClockworkOrange

Only a no brainer would ignore the performances we put in when he was out the side the first time. Couldn’t score in a barrel of fannies and the teams overlay play clearly suffered in a substantial way. Thats to anyone with two working eyes anyway (the forum almost unanimously agreed with this before the piggery red card and complete revision and re-evaluation of his importance), to simply ignore this as though it didn’t happen, is rather odd.
To overstate the significance of his loss from the team is to ignore some of the abysmal games we played when he did feature.

Some of the performances and results in games against Livingston (1-0 defeat in which we were never scoring); Hamilton (4-1 victory but the most turgid game of football all season); St Mirren (opening goal a botched cross); most games against Aberdeen; the three draws against Hibs; the draws and defeats to Killie - Morelos featured in all of these. And that's before you feature in six consecutive wins on the bounce all achieved without him, a set of results that I know you're keen to undermine but which only one of which can be fully discounted (Killie 2-1 defeat).

It's tempting to cite the draws with Dundee and St Johnstone (and ignore the two wins against Hamilton, only one of which was awful) as evidence of suffering without him, but the simple fact of the matter is that these results were the norm for much of last season. Really fascinatingly, we didn't lose any of these either.

Sorry, but the matches both with and without him doesn't show much deviation either in terms of performance or result.

Neilston Unionist

Twist, after that last red card in OF game at the chamber of secrets I was done.
Yep, this combined with the new formation which is getting the most out of Davis, Defoe and Arfield I can see a hefty investment into three or four quality players being the way forward.

I love Alfie, but he's a target up here and there is a huge circus around him every week. I don't think the wee man can be enjoying it, it's best for all for him to move on.

I'd like to add I think he's our best player, it's more weighing up the value of one player versus three or four quality additions and I think the latter is better for the team.

Renfrew@UKGB&NI

Think posters on here are being a bit optimistic about how much rangers would get for him. The fact that he plays in a poor league, his disciplinary behaviour will not help in negotiating a good fee. Can't blame all his behaviour on the refs and media in this country,although I agree it's been out of order,but as the earlier poster said,that sending off in Russia had nothing to do with that and could have cost the club a few quid

Ready

Several have pointed out that we struggled badly whenever Morelos was suspended with notable exception of his last absence. That is undeniable. However we can't allow ourselves to get in that situation again. If we can get decent money for him then sell and make additions which strengthen the overall quality of the squad. Play to a system which isn't so highly reliable on a single player. Morelos will, I believe, continue to miss many games through suspension never mind potentially through injury too. Great player when he is on the park. Massive liability when he can't control his discipline.

Last edited:

D day

To overstate the significance of his loss from the team is to ignore some of the abysmal games we played when he did feature.

Some of the performances and results in games against Livingston (1-0 defeat in which we were never scoring); Hamilton (4-1 victory but the most turgid game of football all season); St Mirren (opening goal a botched cross); most games against Aberdeen; the three draws against Hibs; the draws and defeats to Killie - Morelos featured in all of these. And that's before you feature in six consecutive wins on the bounce all achieved without him, a set of results that I know you're keen to undermine but which only one of which can be fully discounted (Killie 2-1 defeat).

It's tempting to cite the draws with Dundee and St Johnstone (and ignore the two wins against Hamilton, only one of which was awful) as evidence of suffering without him, but the simple fact of the matter is that these results were the norm for much of last season. Really fascinatingly, we didn't lose any of these either.

Sorry, but the matches both with and without him doesn't show much deviation either in terms of performance or result.
Thank you my thoughts exactly and I get tortured for them in cf1

Growler

Official Ticketer
If Ojo, Kent and Aribo sign - what position are these 3/4 players coming for?

If one is just replacing Morelos, I would rather keep Morelos (as he would be 3-4 times better than his replacement - based on value).

If we get a left back, get it with the money we get for Barisic.

If those 3 sign, we essentially need a centre half. Rudden, Hardie and Stewart can all easily replace Lafferty; and keeping Morelos (and Kent), and adding Ojo would be great.

If those 3 sign (like for £0 outlay), just get a centre half and we’re done.

BillySimpson

Most definitely. 3/4 quality signings?? I'd sell him for two assured high quality signings, "assured" being the key word. We don't have luxury of trial and error at this stage.

Growler

Official Ticketer
It’s safe to assume the Ojo, Kent and Aribo offers are not contingent on selling Morelos.

Pick 3 from: Aribo, Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield, Rossiter, McCrorie, Docherty.

Pick 2 from: Murphy, Ojo, Kent, Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Candeias.

Pick 1 from: Morelos, Defoe.

That is fine. We need a centre half. We could take any of the half a dozen Chelsea loan out every season and he would be our best. If you want a left back, you pay it with whatever money comes for Barisic.

There’s potentially room for a squad level centre half and squad level striker, but that’s puny money.

McGregor; Tavernier, Goldson, Kalas (loan), Barisic/new; Kamara, Davis, Aribo; Arfield, Kent, Morelos.

Subs: Foderingham, Flanagan, Katic, Jack, Ojo, Murphy, Defoe.

Not even a bench spot for Jones, Stewart, McCrorie, Halliday, Hastie, Docherty, Candeias etc.

I want that more than I want to gamble on 3 or 4 and downgrade on Morelos. More so because I don’t see where they fit and I don’t see how a more bloated squad helps us.

cav

It’s safe to assume the Ojo, Kent and Aribo offers are not contingent on selling Morelos.

Pick 3 from: Aribo, Davis, Kamara, Jack, Arfield, Rossiter, McCrorie, Docherty.

Pick 2 from: Murphy, Ojo, Kent, Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Candeias.

Pick 1 from: Morelos, Defoe.

That is fine. We need a centre half. We could take any of the half a dozen Chelsea loan out every season and he would be our best. If you want a left back, you pay it with whatever money comes for Barisic.

There’s potentially room for a squad level centre half and squad level striker, but that’s puny money.

McGregor; Tavernier, Goldson, Kalas (loan), Barisic/new; Kamara, Davis, Aribo; Arfield, Kent, Morelos.

Subs: Foderingham, Flanagan, Katic, Jack, Ojo, Murphy, Defoe.

Not even a bench spot for Jones, Stewart, McCrorie, Halliday, Hastie, Docherty, Candeias etc.

I want that more than I want to gamble on 3 or 4 and downgrade on Morelos. More so because I don’t see where they fit and I don’t see how a more bloated squad helps us.
I'd take a good quality bosman for CH to challenge Goldson and Katic,then a lesser option as 4th choice.Two similar to maybe Suchy and Tilt.
Ideally I want someone like Koljic to replace Morelos,and an attacking wide player who gets goals like Peterson.

I reckon you could get those two attacking players for half of the money we should get for Morelos with the CH's costing nothing bar maybe a signing on fee to entice Suchy.
Not big names but the right types of player I would suggest.